The reason why starving yourself WILL NOT work.

Options
13»

Replies

• Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    Before MFP, I was guilty of using the "starvation diet" over and over in hopes that I would lose weight fast. It never stayed off and I never felt smaller. Now I see that I really was creating more set backs to actually changing my lifestyle and keeping the weight off. Thanks so much for this very informative post. It's even more incentive to finally do this the right way and change my life for the better! :-)

Oh god me too! This is the only way in my adult life I've ever lost weight. I would drink a couple slim fast shakes and have that be all my calories for the day. Or eat a couple cups of yogurt totaling 300 calories. Sure the weight came off fast, but I felt like crap and probably did internal damage to myself. And I never learned how to be around food. So when my will was weak, I would eat everything in sight and gain everything back super quick.

I seriously think mfp saved my life
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have been starving myself for 3 days and I lost 15 pounds but instead of eating I'm drinking a lot of fluids and yeah starving yourself is not a good thing to do and it's actually really painful. I have really bad headaches my stomach hurts and literally every 10 seconds my stomach starts growling and it's so embarrassing when I'm in class and my stomach just starts growling and everyone just gives me these wired looks. Starving yourself is like a habit once you start you can't stop. Just remember if your gonna starve yourself drink a lot of fluids!

Please eat something, this is not healthy atall, starving yourself is not the option. Your body is rebelling and telling you it needs food.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    bump
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Firstly, it's not true that fat burning ceases during starvation, it's just that the body will be burning significant amounts of lean mass along with the fat, and trying to preserve the fat stores as long as possible. By the time you starve yourself down to 1% body fat, you'll have no skeletal muscle left, and you'll look like a walking skeleton. But fat loss doesn't cease, it just slows. So on a starvation diet, you lose fat, but you lose a lot of muscle as well, and there are other negative effects such as loss of bone density and all sorts. (just wanted to clear that up before answering the following question)

0% body fat = dead, the fat isn't just a store of energy, it has an important role in hormone regulation and other systems in the body, and it's essential for proper functioning of the nervous system, i.e. the role of essential body fat which is around 3-4% in men and 13% in women.
    Why does the body go to the muscles instead of burning off the fat first?

the body's objective is to survive a food shortage. You have to view this in the context of natural selection. Our evolutionary ancestors were subjected to frequent food shortages, and we are descended from the survivors of food shortages.

Had any of those ancestors had bodies that burned off all the fat before burning off any muscle, they would have been among the first to die in these food shortages, so we're not descended from anyone whose body worked like that, natural selection has prevented that characteristic remaining in the gene pool. Why? Because muscle cells burn a lot of energy to stay alive, while fat cells don't burn much energy. Both are a source of energy for the body. But by jettisoning the muscle cells in preference to fat cells, the body is conserving energy twice. Once, because it's using the energy from burning the muscle cells, and twice because it no longer has to spend energy keeping those muscle cells alive. Fat on the other hand, requires less energy to stay alive, so it's better to conserve the fat as long as possible, and sacrifice the muscle cells. Those of our ancestors whose bodies worked like this survived the food shortages and those genes stayed in the population, and are found in us too.

Additionally, unused muscle is jettisoned long before muscle that's used regularly. Simply because our ancestors were hunter-gatherers, to get food they needed to use muscle. However, muscles that were not being regularly used were a liability. They give the body no benefit (i.e. they're not necessary for successful hunting/gathering) and they cost a lot of energy to maintain. therefore they get jettisoned first. This jettisoning of unused muscle can happen even when eating at a maintenance or a very small deficit, and you can see this happen if someone who used to be very active becomes sedentary, even if they carry on eating enough to maintain their body weight. The human body prefers energy efficiency, because of all those millions of years of natural selection in favour of people who could survive food shortages. So on any kind of diet, even a sensible one, heavy lifting goes a long way to preserve lean body mass, because in our ancestors, muscle that was used regularly = essential muscle for hunting = lose that and you become an evolutionary failure because you can't obtain food. Obtaining food in a food shortage is a significant evolutionary advantage.

I hope that explanation makes sense. In any case, the take home message is to lose *fat* and minimise lean body mass losses, you need a sensible deficit, and exercise that puts sufficient stimulus on the muscles to prevent them being jettisoned for energy efficiency. From an evolutionary perspective, you're imitating being a successful hunter in a mild food shortage. Your body will keep the muscle you use so you can keep being successful at hunting, and burn the fat to make up the energy shortfall from the mild food shortage, in the hope that you'll hunt enough to eat at maintenance further down the line. This is what has "won" at natural selection in the past. But if you start imitating someone not hunting during a severe food shortage, you're going to have the effects that give you the best chance of surviving in those circumstances, i.e. totally wasted muscles and your body trying to make your fat stores last as long as possible. (and heavy exercise in a severe food shortage isn't a good idea because the human body can't make something from nothing, there is a point at which you're going to be an evolutionary failure no matter what - no organism has evolved the ability to be invincible or break the laws of physics)
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    great post...but how do you know what the right amount of calories should be??? I have a lot of trouble with this....

When you enter your details into MFP it will generate a rough estimate of what you need to lose, maintain, or gain weight. Once you stay within 100 to 200 cals of this you're safe enough, just don't eat under 1200!

Ok, thanks...MFP has me at 1200/day.....I am only 5'1" and weigh 149 right now. I am trying to get down to around 125. I wasnt sure if 1200/day was right for me, I seemed to have stopped losing the weight. I do eat right up to my 1200, sometimes over if I worked out that day. I never feel starving or anything, just wanted to know if I was doing the right thing...

That is what MFP had me at as well…and that did not work for me. Several people on this site told me about TDEE-20% and I went to one of the calculators and entered my information and it provided a calorie intake of 1410. Since I've been eating around this level, I have lost more weight. :)
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i am truly inspired by people who can eat so low or starve because food is my love
    & there is only one life
  • karkaskompetisie
    Options
    forever saving this
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    i am truly inspired by people who can eat so low or starve because food is my love
    & there is only one life

...inspired? I wouldn't be inspired by it. I love food, too. That's why I've found a nice, cozy relationship with it ;) The thought of people starving themselves is really saddening to me.
  • drgnleep
    drgnleep Posts: 2
    Options
    Sorry this is full of incorrect statements with the main fact being that starvation is gonna target the protein in muscle first which is not the case. When a body undergoes starvation the first response is to save calories by slowing the metabolism and certain body function. Your body will first target anything in the digestive track and any glycogen storage's in the muscle not protein. The body will then attack fat cells as they are high in fatty acids using fat sources including the protective fat surrounding the bodies organs. Once the fat sources are depleted the body attacks the proteins in muscle and lean tissue last. This process is called Starvation response but names like starvation resistance, starvation tolerance, adapted starvation, adaptive thermogenesis and metabolic adaptation all apply to the process in some way. People who continually practice fasting on a regular basis can prime their bodies to abstain from food while reducing the amount of muscle burned. To put this in perspective take the diets and lifestyles of Buddhist monks or Muslims as a reference. Their consistent fasting leaves them with very little fat and they do not put on lots of fat after they finish. There's many problems with using starvation as a good weight lost method with the main one being that after losing the weight, the bodies metabolism has slowed and is now in a storage mode for any extra calories and when people trying this come off they EAT! Everything gets stored and back comes the weight so it's really only effective for people that are actually going to live a fasting lifestyle. My advice eat half to a quarter of whatever you think is a portion 4 to 5 times a day and get that metabolism working overtime add in plenty of exercise and enjoy your body for a lifetime!
  • drgnleep
    drgnleep Posts: 2
    Options
    Sorry this is full of incorrect statements with the main fact being that starvation is gonna target the protein in muscle first which is not the case. When a body undergoes starvation the first response is to save calories by slowing the metabolism and certain body function. Your body will first target anything in the digestive track and any glycogen storage's in the muscle not protein. The body will then attack fat cells as they are high in fatty acids using fat sources including the protective fat surrounding the bodies organs. Once the fat sources are depleted the body attacks the proteins in muscle and lean tissue last. This process is called Starvation response but names like starvation resistance, starvation tolerance, adapted starvation, adaptive thermogenesis and metabolic adaptation all apply to the process in some way. People who continually practice fasting on a regular basis can prime their bodies to abstain from food while reducing the amount of muscle burned. To put this in perspective take the diets and lifestyles of Buddhist monks or Muslims as a reference. Their consistent fasting leaves them with very little fat and they do not put on lots of fat after they finish. There's many problems with using starvation as a good weight lost method with the main one being that after losing the weight, the bodies metabolism has slowed and is now in a storage mode for any extra calories and when people trying this come off they EAT! Everything gets stored and back comes the weight so it's really only effective for people that are actually going to live a fasting lifestyle. My advice eat half to a quarter of whatever you think is a portion 4 to 5 times a day and get that metabolism working overtime add in plenty of exercise and enjoy your body for a lifetime!
  • ericvich
    Options
    Just posting my personal story if anyone cares to read and possibly help me out..

Intro to the story to make it short, break up had me pretty bummed out, but before the break up I was already heading into a weight loss mentality and lifestyle. So there I was, sad me, not hungry from the break up so I decided to use that to my advantage. I can recall a week I only ate an apple and orange for lunch...that's it...no breakfast, no dinner, just an Apple and orange.... I ended up losing 40 pounds in about 2 weeks... it doesn't take a nutritionist to know that sounds so unhealthy! I exercised a lot too don't think I say around, I ran bit more than a mole a day, sometimes twice. Looking back I don't know what possessed me to take this route, I played football, I was aware of how to take care of my body and how to gain/ maintain weight just not lose ya know.. the starving lasted about 3 months, eating about 2 meals a day after that was another 3 months, 6 total before I started eating like a lineman again haha oh boy... I was a mess, and I always felt light headed (I wonder why right).. I feel that now that I've snapped out of that that it took its toll on my body, went from 285 to 210 but I feel that I've maybe developed health issues, always dizzy, maybe blood pressure, definitely can't eat like I used to I get full to quickly, I don't know sometimes I feel that I was healthier when I was heavier... these days I'm just trying to gain definition, get shredded ya know, and eat RIGHT, not less, not enough, but FREAKING RIGHT.

If anyone has any suggestions on things to do, workouts, and recipes I'd greatly appreciate them!
    Goal weight was 210 and now I'm there, new goal weight 180 LET'S GET IT >:)
    Also hit me up if you'd like before and after pics!
    I wanna try to show off ya know? ;P
  • Rose110590
    Rose110590 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This has to be the most misguided and unintelligible post I've ever read. Where do you guys get your facts from?
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Firstly, it's not true that fat burning ceases during starvation, it's just that the body will be burning significant amounts of lean mass along with the fat, and trying to preserve the fat stores as long as possible. By the time you starve yourself down to 1% body fat, you'll have no skeletal muscle left, and you'll look like a walking skeleton. But fat loss doesn't cease, it just slows. So on a starvation diet, you lose fat, but you lose a lot of muscle as well, and there are other negative effects such as loss of bone density and all sorts. (just wanted to clear that up before answering the following question)

0% body fat = dead, the fat isn't just a store of energy, it has an important role in hormone regulation and other systems in the body, and it's essential for proper functioning of the nervous system, i.e. the role of essential body fat which is around 3-4% in men and 13% in women.
    Why does the body go to the muscles instead of burning off the fat first?

the body's objective is to survive a food shortage. You have to view this in the context of natural selection. Our evolutionary ancestors were subjected to frequent food shortages, and we are descended from the survivors of food shortages.

Had any of those ancestors had bodies that burned off all the fat before burning off any muscle, they would have been among the first to die in these food shortages, so we're not descended from anyone whose body worked like that, natural selection has prevented that characteristic remaining in the gene pool. Why? Because muscle cells burn a lot of energy to stay alive, while fat cells don't burn much energy. Both are a source of energy for the body. But by jettisoning the muscle cells in preference to fat cells, the body is conserving energy twice. Once, because it's using the energy from burning the muscle cells, and twice because it no longer has to spend energy keeping those muscle cells alive. Fat on the other hand, requires less energy to stay alive, so it's better to conserve the fat as long as possible, and sacrifice the muscle cells. Those of our ancestors whose bodies worked like this survived the food shortages and those genes stayed in the population, and are found in us too.

Additionally, unused muscle is jettisoned long before muscle that's used regularly. Simply because our ancestors were hunter-gatherers, to get food they needed to use muscle. However, muscles that were not being regularly used were a liability. They give the body no benefit (i.e. they're not necessary for successful hunting/gathering) and they cost a lot of energy to maintain. therefore they get jettisoned first. This jettisoning of unused muscle can happen even when eating at a maintenance or a very small deficit, and you can see this happen if someone who used to be very active becomes sedentary, even if they carry on eating enough to maintain their body weight. The human body prefers energy efficiency, because of all those millions of years of natural selection in favour of people who could survive food shortages. So on any kind of diet, even a sensible one, heavy lifting goes a long way to preserve lean body mass, because in our ancestors, muscle that was used regularly = essential muscle for hunting = lose that and you become an evolutionary failure because you can't obtain food. Obtaining food in a food shortage is a significant evolutionary advantage.

I hope that explanation makes sense. In any case, the take home message is to lose *fat* and minimise lean body mass losses, you need a sensible deficit, and exercise that puts sufficient stimulus on the muscles to prevent them being jettisoned for energy efficiency. From an evolutionary perspective, you're imitating being a successful hunter in a mild food shortage. Your body will keep the muscle you use so you can keep being successful at hunting, and burn the fat to make up the energy shortfall from the mild food shortage, in the hope that you'll hunt enough to eat at maintenance further down the line. This is what has "won" at natural selection in the past. But if you start imitating someone not hunting during a severe food shortage, you're going to have the effects that give you the best chance of surviving in those circumstances, i.e. totally wasted muscles and your body trying to make your fat stores last as long as possible. (and heavy exercise in a severe food shortage isn't a good idea because the human body can't make something from nothing, there is a point at which you're going to be an evolutionary failure no matter what - no organism has evolved the ability to be invincible or break the laws of physics)

Informative as always. Thanks for this!
  • dhaemon
    dhaemon Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think this is all speculation.

Unless you have actual test subjects starving themselves and the doctors are performing the proper examinations, before and after, then everything else is just conjecture.

I look to the bear. Prior to hibernation, it eats a lot and stores a lot of fat.
    When the bear awakes the following spring, it hasn't lost muscle mass, but has lost its fat storage.

So, in my opinion, the body will burn fat first.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Losing real weight from starving is physically impossible. Your body absolutely can not lose that much weight in a week.

Tell that to the guys on the biggest loser who lose 100+lbs in 8 weeks. Is that not "real" weight loss?

I think you mean that you shouldn't aim for fast weight loss, not that its physically impossible.

I'm not in any way saying that the rapid weight loss on the show is healthy or the way to do it. I'm a huge advocate for slow and steady loss. However, its not impossible.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the person who posted they were not eating any more just drinking fluids is still alive today? Since this is from 2011 it would be interesting to know if they smartened up.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the person who posted they were not eating any more just drinking fluids is still alive today? Since this is from 2011 it would be interesting to know if they smartened up.

Yeah seriously. Whenever these zombie threads (didn't realize until after I posted) pop up, I always wonder about the OP or other posters in the thread.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Unless you have actual test subjects starving themselves and the doctors are performing the proper examinations, before and after, then everything else is just conjecture.

I look to the bear. Prior to hibernation, it eats a lot and stores a lot of fat.
    When the bear awakes the following spring, it hasn't lost muscle mass, but has lost its fat storage.

So, in my opinion, the body will burn fat first.
    Humans are not bears. Completely different biological and physiological processes at work. For one thing, humans don't hibernate.
  • 555_FILK
    555_FILK Posts: 86 Member
    Options

I look to the bear.

not-sure-if-serious.jpg