9 Months Of Weight Loss *Progress Report*

Options
Jztime
Jztime Posts: 138 Member
It has been a little over 2 and a half months since I first posted about my weight loss here. I have now lost almost 33 pounds more than when I did post that. A total of 137 pounds of weight in 9 months.

As well as including more photos (past and present) below for you all I also wanted to share my other story apart from the help MyFitnessPal has given me.

Depression is an awful illness. It was one I didn't know I had either. Could this be you? Don't let the stigma of it bother you. Only last month we saw what happened to Robin Williams and we should never forget the seriousness of not getting help for this crippling mental illness.

I have been undertaking therapy now for almost a year and it has "cured" my depression. I can see things coming that would otherwise set me off and I can take control of it.

At my worst I was lathargic, disinterested, basic functions, withdrawn and irritable. I let this go on for far too long maybe even as much as 7 years (it's hard to be sure). I piled on the weight week in and week out. If you look at photos of me over the past 10 years it is truly amazing the amount of weight I gained.

The point of this post is that if you feel that any of this sounds like you or you have considered getting help for depression you already know you suffer, then please, do it. I have changed my life with the help of MyFitnessPal and therapy. You can do it. I know you can. There is hope. You can get better. I believe in you.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5573/15233529136_19eae1ca9f_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5573/15233529136_19eae1ca9f_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3884/15256539055_e8d0bf54a8_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3890/15256508615_c5daf0dfc4_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3895/15069949788_038dc8b3e5_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3853/15253413351_6754438df9_b.jpg

Replies

• independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    That is amazing! Congratulations on your success!

33lbs is the exact weight of a cinderblock. Wow!

8932116f-4a8d-4311-ae8d-62d45e3d3a63_400.jpg

Thank you for sharing your story. I suffer from bouts of depression that hold me back. I really do need to find a solution and you've inspired me to keep looking for one. Thank you. :)
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, this is an amazing achievement. You should share it in the "Success Stories" forum.
  • Jztime
    Options
    No problem at all. Hang in there. Honestly the difference in my life is amazing and it is achievable.

There are funded programmes across the US for discounted psychotherapy. If you or a loved one have been in the military then there may be other avenues open to you for help.
  • Jztime
    Options
    Congratulations, this is an amazing achievement. You should share it in the "Success Stories" forum.

I did last time but this time I wanted to try and help. Being honest here about the depression was more important than any perceived success.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Great job, keep it up.
  • Milliepet
    Milliepet Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    wasn't able to view photos on my puter but this was a good post. Congratulations on recognizing your depressions & receiving
    the help you needed PLUS doing something really good & conquering your weight problem. Way to go! :flowerforyou:
  • ashleydawndill
    ashleydawndill Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Congrats, I'm so happy for your success in overcoming depression. Mental health is still such a misunderstood and overlooked issue. You've done a fantastic job, keep up the good work in your physical and mental journey :)
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    That's outstanding! Congrats!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear you are taking control and having great success!

I definitely empathize. At the beginning of this year I was a mess physically and emotionally spent. I have a tremendous amount of stressors in my life, no joke there at all, and what I failed to be able to realize was that my constant "keeping myself in control" that I thought I was doing was just not working. I had every reason to believe there was nothing I couldn't pull my big boy pants on for and deal with. But over the years, it takes its toll and you just can not see it when you put those sorts of blinders on.

I decided to work on myself both physically and mentally, with the advice of my physician and a psychiatrist. I knew I was fat and out of shape, but mentally I had no idea if I needed help, but figured it could not hurt to see if I couldn't make improvements there.

Things have turned around basically 180 degrees for the most part. All of the stressors are still there in life. But they don't weigh me down like before. I have lost 82 pounds, am signed up for my first 10k this weekend, and am taking care of so many things in life that before I either failed to recognize, or simply chose to ignore.

I think everyone should at least give themselves the benefit of the doubt to make sure things are as "OK" as they believe they are, especially when they recognize things are tough.
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    You are wonderful! Great job taking control of your life, being willing to step out of the darkness, and focus on you and your health!

Also, thank you for bringing to light the struggles of depression. The more we talk about it, the less daunting the stigma will become.

You are TRULY an inspiration! Keep fighting the good fight - you're not alone in the struggle. I lost 60lbs here about 2.5 years ago and then fell into a very deep depression and gained it all back, plus some. Now i'm back because I finally see the "light" again, things are looking up, and if we work together and stay positive, all things are possible.

ROCK ON, my friend!
  • MargueriteMuguet
    MargueriteMuguet Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I also recovered and I am slowly talking about it without shame.

Have a great week and congrats on becoming better!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Bravo!!! Good job!
  • micheller57
    micheller57 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You did your work! Congrats on today and your future successes!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Great job! The photos say it all...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!