Why just egg whites

Options

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I always wonder where people get egg whites only from. I suspect it's a very American thing as I have never seen a carton of egg white in a German supermarket.

Could anyone clarify if they sell egg whites only in countries other than the US?

Yes - in the UK there is a fairly new company (?~18 months) called Two Chicks that sells cartons of egg white in mainstream supermarkets. It is fairly new though and usually only available in larger stores.

We also have Holland & Barrett (a health food chain) which sells a different brand of egg whites. However, outside of these two options, I have only seen liquid egg whites available via online supplement stores such as Bulk Powders and The Protein Works.
  • Juicer82
    Juicer82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to the yolk... when I make egg whites, I always add something. Usually veggies or mushrooms. Sometimes ham!
  • Juicer82
    Juicer82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I always wonder where people get egg whites only from. I suspect it's a very American thing as I have never seen a carton of egg white in a German supermarket.

Could anyone clarify if they sell egg whites only in countries other than the US?

In my nearby grocery store you can buy a carton of only egg whites. Its more expensive then buying the actual eggs however. And I'm from the U.S. so I don't think I helped with your question. :) Sorry!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Isn't there more Leucine in the yolk tho? Seems to me the entire egg is the best of both worlds, nutrition wise, for any body. Which is why I eat the whole egg. I did try to look it up, but gave up after 5 minutes. But really curious about the Leucine % in the yolk, if anyone can find it.

ps....wow look at that 1st post after 5 months
    Well in one egg the white contain about 30% more Leucine than the yolk but then there's more overall weight (mass) in the white, but when weight is held equal, then yes the yolk has more......I just learned something, thanks for your question.:smile:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

In my nearby grocery store you can buy a carton of only egg whites. Its more expensive then buying the actual eggs however. And I'm from the U.S. so I don't think I helped with your question. :) Sorry!

To clarify, the "carton" is of liquid pasteurized egg whites like a carton of milk - google for one brand name Egg Beaters. I wanted to make sure this was clear because whole eggs are also sold in what's called in cartons so I'm afraid the person asking the question is picturing a whole egg that is white only, no yolk. That would just be disturbing and wrong!
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Yes - in the UK there is a fairly new company (?~18 months) called Two Chicks that sells cartons of egg white in mainstream supermarkets. It is fairly new though and usually only available in larger stores.

We also have Holland & Barrett (a health food chain) which sells a different brand of egg whites. However, outside of these two options, I have only seen liquid egg whites available via online supplement stores such as Bulk Powders and The Protein Works.

Thank you.
  • SunnyDinCA
    SunnyDinCA Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Isn't there more Leucine in the yolk tho? Seems to me the entire egg is the best of both worlds, nutrition wise, for any body. Which is why I eat the whole egg. I did try to look it up, but gave up after 5 minutes. But really curious about the Leucine % in the yolk, if anyone can find it.

ps....wow look at that 1st post after 5 months
    Well in one egg the white contain about 30% more Leucine than the yolk but then there's more overall weight (mass) in the white, but when weight is held equal, then yes the yolk has more......I just learned something, thanks for your question.:smile:

thanks for confirming, and your welcome :)
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options

Thank you.

Yeh, they sell them here in Canada as well. I LOVE the whole egg and just eat less. I could never eat just the yolk :noway:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I don't, I eat the entire egg.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg when it fits my macros. But on days when I've reached my fat goal, but am short on protein, that's when I break out the boxed egg whites and add some to my shakes, grits, oatmeal, etc. When I only have whole eggs I give the yolks to my cats. They love them and it makes their coats glossy and soft.
  • mckat08
    mckat08 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I add pasteurized egg whites (from the carton) to my green smoothies for additional protein. I also use them for my scrambled eggs, one whole egg to 1/4 cup egg whites. :bigsmile:
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Often I read members here eating just egg whites in whatever form, why do they just have the whites? Do you not like the yolks? What do you do to the yolk, throw away? Always wondered. ...
    I eat both nothing wrong with them, remember an egg is made for a baby chicken to survive for a few months.

Why our society says Egg whites? I think because its a misleading myth about worrying cholesterol and calories.

- I like seprating them though to make egg whites baked and the yolks for homemade pudding making cream pie!
  • Whalers81
    Whalers81 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of the yolk in the form of scrambled eggs or omelettes. So if I am making something like that, I will just buy the egg whites in the carton to use.

Occassionally, I will have a fried egg with really runny yolk to dunk my toast in. I'll also eat the yolk in a hard-boiled egg.

Weird, I know. But honestly, I could never eat another egg and be fine. It's not a food I love or crave.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    I looooove eggs. Several times a week I will scramble two whole eggs with 2-3 portions of egg whites. Ups the protein nicely and adds great volume to my meal-sized scrambles. I use the pourable carton of whites. I also love whole eggs fried with sprouted-grain toast and bacon!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Whites are low calorie. Some people are afraid of the macros in the yolk, but it's ridiculously awesome for you.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    i make fritatta's i use 2 Full and 1 White. the protein is in the whites not the yolk
  • eyleene
    eyleene Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I will use both , but i usually give my dogs the yolk on their breakfast kibble and i have an eggwhite omelette so no wastage .
  • alska
    alska Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i love the yoke ... so i'mma eating it!! lol
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I get the big boxes of cartons of egg whites at Costco. They keep quite awhile.

I will use just whites to save on the calories but that's the only reason. I will mix them with whole eggs.

Most times I eat the whole egg. Scrambled, over easy , hard boiled. Love em.