Are you Age 40+, lost 70+ lbs, without loose skin?

Options
Hi! I just turned 40. I have to lose 70 lbs to be at my ideal weight. I am intimidated by both the number and prospect of loose skin. I will try to lose anyway, but I to not want the lose skin. I

My plan is to eat about 1500 calories a day
Protein and veggies at every meal to build back muscle
Weight train

I hope that this method helps avoid loose skin.

I have read many comments in which it seems the ones who have 100+ lbs to lose are the ones who have the loose skin. But I have also seen arguments (controversial apparently) that loose skin can be avoided through weight training.

So I respectfully ask for only responses from those who are over 40 who have lost 70 plus pounds who have tight skin still. Please is you could answer the following:

1. Age
2. How much weight you lost
3. How quickly you lost it
4. How much weight resistance and intensity you did during the process
5. Did you drink a lot of water?
6. Did you moisturize your skin daily?
7. What type, if any, of exercises outside of weight resistance did you do and how often?

Thank you! I am sorry for asking the folks with loss but loose skin to not respond, I realize this is a complicated topic.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Ha! I'm 45 lost 15 pounds in two months and I have loose skin. I've lifted weighs the whole time, 5 days a week. Drink at LEAST 12 bottles of water a day (though I don't always record it) and I moisturize. I also cardio 5 days a week.
    Getting old sucks!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    So I respectfully ask for only responses from those who are over 40 who have lost 70 plus pounds and have good genetics.

:wink:
  • lalalalalaurie
    lalalalalaurie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, but for you to misquote my post is rude and snarky! Is this allowed on these forums? I apologize if anyone here has loose skin, but respectfully asked the ones that do not to respond, and who the heck knows if they have good genes or not? Ridiculous

Don't troll!
  • lalalalalaurie
    Options
    So I respectfully ask for only responses from those who are over 40 who have lost 70 plus pounds and have good genetics.

:wink:

Rude!!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am sorry, but for you to misquote my post is rude and snarky! Is this allowed on these forums? I apologize if anyone here has loose skin, but respectfully asked the ones that have not, and who the heck knows if they have good genes or not to respond!

Don't troll!

It wasn't snarky. It was indicating that genetics play a big roll in whether or not your skin will be tight. Weight training, slower weight loss, good genetics and how much elasticity is in your skin (have you lost and gained a lot in your past) will determine your results.

I would recommend that you try to not read with so much emotion. The internet can be a bit harsh if you take it very serious.
  • lalalalalaurie
    Options
    Never change someone's original wording as a quote, that is extremely rude. Thanks for the more helpful advice in the end.
  • lalalalalaurie
    Options
    Do you by chance have any history of smoking?
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If you have 70 pounds to lose there will be some loose skin... Once you lose he 70 pounds, post it and show your loose skin...lol
  • lalalalalaurie
    Options
    Omg! Does anyone here read? I am asking for only people who do not have loose skin to respond. And NO that is not true. I have read reports of people who have lost that much weight without it.
  • lalalalalaurie
    Options
    Ha! I'm 45 lost 15 pounds in two months and I have loose skin. I've lifted weighs the whole time, 5 days a week. Drink at LEAST 12 bottles of water a day (though I don't always record it) and I moisturize. I also cardio 5 days a week.
    Getting old sucks!

Do you have a history of smoking?
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm not over 40, but I decide to respond since this scared me at first too since I've been morbidly obese since I was 10 and I'm 30 now. I've done extensive research on this subject and the previous commenter is right. It can tighten up some after a few years of maintaining your goal weight, but most likely will not tighten up all the way. I've seen a lot of people elect to have surgery in the end because of it. However those who don't tell me that it doesn't bother them that much. That you can't see it through the clothes and it only becomes an issue if you want wear a bikini or something. I hope that helps. and good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Omg! Does anyone here read? I am asking for only people who do not have loose skin to respond. And NO that is not true. I have read reports of people who have lost that much weight without it.

To let you know, these kinds of responses will not encourage people to respond. Also, if you set the criteria to 40 year old women, who have lost 70 lbs or more, it's going to limit the number of people who can actually respond. I would highly recommend being a bit more open minded and hearing advice from others in the community. In the end, it comes down to what I mentioned above.
  • lalalalalaurie
    Options

To let you know, these kinds of responses will not encourage people to respond. Also, if you set the criteria to 40 year old women, who have lost 70 lbs or more, it's going to limit the number of people who can actually respond. I would highly recommend being a bit more open minded and hearing advice from others in the community. In the end, it comes down to what I mentioned above.

Wait, this is your policy as a moderator? I am asking for specific input, on most forums that is respected. Have up actually read the responses I am getting?
  • lalalalalaurie
    Options
    I'm not over 40, but I decide to respond since this scared me at first too since I've been morbidly obese since I was 10 and I'm 30 now. I've done extensive research on this subject and the previous commenter is right. It can tighten up some after a few years of maintaining your goal weight, but most likely will not tighten up all the way. I've seen a lot of people elect to have surgery in the end because of it. However those who don't tell me that it doesn't bother them that much. That you can't see it through the clothes and it only becomes an issue if you want wear a bikini or something. I hope that helps. and good luck on your weight loss journey!

Thank you! A polite response.

Anyway, I have been reading on forums non stop for days, although I realize the input may be minimal, I am trying to get the input from people who have accomplished this without surgery. And YES some have.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Wow... I get that you have a purpose for this post, but you are missing out on a lot of valuable information by putting such stipulations on the responses... I'm over 40, I've lost over 70 pounds... I have some loose skin, though it is getting better with time. Sorry... Good luck!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Yes try not to lose too fast. Drink plenty of water. Get cardio and some sit ups and or crunches.
    I am in better shape at 40 than I was at 20.

Good Luck

29509743.png
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm 26. I gained a lot of weight during pregnancy and now I'm at my lowest adult weight. I'm down about 70lbs from my top pregnancy weight (I use the pregnancy weight when talking about loose skin, because that seems applicable).

So, yes. I have a lot of loose skin on my stomach. Yes, I've done strength training all along. I have real abs for the first time. With loose skin over it. My legs and upper arms have a little loose skin too, but it's only noticeable in certain positions or if I pinch it (doesn't have the elasticity normal 20somethings have).

It's mostly going to be about how slowly you lose the weight and genetics.
  • lalalalalaurie
    Options
    Yes try not to lose too fast. Drink plenty of water. Get cardio and some sit ups and or crunches.
    I am in better shape at 40 than I was at 20.

Good Luck

29509743.png

Thank you!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Well, I am 64 (next week). I joined MFP in 2010. I lost over 70 lbs (I lost 10 before joining MFP) I lost it in a year and half, going slowly, cardio 2 to 4 x a week (2x were long walks), weights 2x a week. I have maintained a 7lb range for 3 years .As you age, skin is ess elastic and does not 'recondition itself as quickly. I addressed the loose skin with moderate success. 1) continued exercise, lots of water and moisturizer helped significantly over TIME. 2) I did have reconstructive breast surgery to 'restore' and eliminate the sagging. Worth every penny! 3) Tummy and arms are still a bit saggy but respond well to continued workouts. If I were a bit younger I might consider a tummy tuck, but as a person with 8 grandkids and on great grandbaby - I am very comfortable with how I look (and still get mistaken for being 10 years or more younger than I am). 4) Don't sweat the loose skin, just work on it. It is better to be healthy.

Addition: Besides walking - lots, I used ellipticals, treadmills, a few weight machines but mostly free weights. Free weights were the best bang for my buck!!!!!
  • flow2512
    flow2512 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am 51, I have lost a total of 80 lbs taking me from 215 lbs to 135 lbs, I am 5 ft 5" tall
    I lost the weight throughout the last 18 months. I lost 40 lbs, then stayed at that weight for a good few weeks, then lost some more, then some more, I have had about 3 months now at 135 lbs and stayed within a five pound range and I have restarted for the last bit now, to lose the last 14 lbs.
    I have given birth 4 times, with one section.- I have no loose skin as Sutch, as I still have fat on my stomach to lose, apart from bingo wings, I think they are called, that is the only loose skin I have on my upper arms.
    I suffer a lot with arthritis, in hips, hands and shoulders, so I don't do a lot of weight lifting etc, but I walk 5 miles a day, every day on my treadmill (I have to be inside for my business) . Hope this helps