Weights while pregnant?

Options
Lozze
Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
Can anyone advise the best types of weight bearing exercises to do while pregnant? Want to keep going as long as possible to be healthy.

Replies

• JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Not ever been pregnant, but I heard keep doing what your doing but at 70% as long as you feel you're able, and obviously consult a doctor.

Also I know one of the trainers on BodyBuilding.com was recently-ish pregnant and she did a few articles/blogs about it.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I'm not pregnant but for some reason I know the answer to this.

Caveat: consult with your ob/gyn first.

But it's my understanding, that if it's an activity you've been doing prior to pregnancy, you should be able to continue doing the activity. The problem lies in starting an exercise program or drastically changing yours - like adding zumba when you've never done it. When it comes to weights, I would think you would have to modify the rep range you've been using but there are plenty of women who still lift while with child
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Actually just researched this since my wife and are trying to get pregnant. Below is one of the articles I read.

http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-lift-weights-during-pregnancy_4345.bc
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Not ever been pregnant, but I heard keep doing what your doing but at 70% as long as you feel you're able, and obviously consult a doctor.

Also I know one of the trainers on BodyBuilding.com was recently-ish pregnant and she did a few articles/blogs about it.

I'm guessing you're talking about Jamie Eason. Srsly, look her up. She posted some pics at like 6 months postpartum and she looks great. She was in amazing shape before she got pregnant, though, so I'm sure that made a huge difference in her recovery. I haven't looked, but she probably does have a lot of info on working out throughout pregnancy.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    as a general rule you can continue doing activities that you were already doing until your doctor advises you against it. if you haven't been engaging in regular strenuous activity this is NOT the time to begin. as with anything of this nature, check with your physician and follow their recommendations.
  • Lozze
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm talking to my doctor tomorrow. That baby centre was good until it told me I can't lift more than 5kg! Hopefully that's after first trimester.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options

I'm guessing you're talking about Jamie Eason. Srsly, look her up. She posted some pics at like 6 months postpartum and she looks great. She was in amazing shape before she got pregnant, though, so I'm sure that made a huge difference in her recovery. I haven't looked, but she probably does have a lot of info on working out throughout pregnancy.

That's it! I knew it was Jamie something.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm talking to my doctor tomorrow. That baby centre was good until it told me I can't lift more than 5kg! Hopefully that's after first trimester.

That's nonsense. It all depends on what you have been doing before. If you've been squatting 100kg your body isn't going to suddenly be able to cope with only 5kg.

As per
    as a general rule you can continue doing activities that you were already doing until your doctor advises you against it. if you haven't been engaging in regular strenuous activity this is NOT the time to begin. as with anything of this nature, check with your physician and follow their recommendations.

Always though if worried talk to your doctor.
  • Lozze
    Options
    That's what I thought! I've dropped all my weights (leg pressing 120kg now down to 80kg) Will listen to my body with weights.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    That's what I thought! I've dropped all my weights (leg pressing 120kg now down to 80kg) Will listen to my body with weights.

My doctor gave me the go ahead to continue doing what I was doing. Her only concern was later on in pregnancy dropping the weight on myself. In the end, i wasn't able to continue weight lifting or running, but I did swim and walk.

That said, you are going ot want to avoid activites that have you on your back (the leg press at my gym has you in that position) after the first trimester.

ETA - of course, always go with your doctor's recommendation.
  • Lozze
    Options
    That's Definitly something I'll be looking at. The machine I use is lying on my back so can't use that one. There are others that have you sitting up. It might be worth finding out if there's someone who is trained in pregnancy fitness and pay for a program.