NSV - 10k run

Options
I am definitely NOT a runner. Before yesterday the furthest I have run (continually) was about 2, maybe 3 miles (5k). Instead I do a mix of HIIT, weights and long walks. Last week I volunteered to do a 10k as a favor with the knowledge that in a few days there was nothing I could do to train for it. My goal was just to walk/jog and finish in under 1:30.

INSTEAD: I (slowly) jogged almost the whole way, walked a max of 2km and finished in 1:12. I know it isn't a great time but I proved to myself that I really can push through mental blocks when I put my mind to it.

A bit sore today... but gives me an excuse to have a nice epsom salt bath.

Replies

• skalkbrenn
    skalkbrenn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Excellent! It's harder than it looks--I know!
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding? That is a great time for your first 10K! Congrats!!!
  • mandymack14
    mandymack14 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Well, I am incredibly impressed! Well done, you!
  • jfeakins
    jfeakins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's amazing... I just signed up for my first 10K as well (Run 10 Feed 10) and I have no idea what I'm doing!! I can barely run 5k without getting winded.

Any suggestions for a first time runner? I'm trying to "train," but running is not my strong-suit. I'm built for speed, not for distance... and I have a tough time keeping a steady pace.

I have to run on Sunday morning... 7 am!! Yikes. I'm pretty scared!!
  • r_kraft
    r_kraft Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great run!
    jfeakins there are some training plans you can get from runkeeper or Garmin's web site and some couch-2-10K training apps you could get for your phone. Just try to run relaxed and at a slower pace than your 5K pace, maybe 30 sec to a minute slower and you should be fine.
  • margm89
    margm89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Agree with r_kraft, definitely start out a bit slower than you think you should be running and try to maintain it. That was the most common piece of advice I received and the most useful. Also keep running for as long as you can. I did the first 5k before I walked far a few minutes and by that point my legs just wanted to keep moving at the same steady run. The few times i dropped out of a run I found it harder and harder to pick up my pace again.

Other than that here are the other tips I found helpful:
    - At this point no training plan is going to make you much faster. Maybe do a easy jog today/friday but don't do anything that will make you sore for Sunday! I found quick walking kept me moving without really tiring me.
    - Stretch every day after some light exercise. If you know how to foam roll keep it up!
    - Water water water. All the time, except the morning before the race. Mine was a bit later but if you want to have a coffee an hour or so before the race for a bit of caffine. (Keep in mind the effects of caffine on your body though. If it makes you pee every 5 minutes this might not be a great idea).
    - I wanted to buy a fancy new pair of runners beforehand. but someone pointed out that as they aren't broken in they could end up being really uncomfortable.
    - Eat as healthy as you can!

Once you're there the crowd of runners helps you keep running and the adrenaline is a plus!
    Best of luck and let me know how it goes :)
  • jfeakins
    Options
    Thank you both for the tips!! I'm stressing a bit; not sure what I've gotten myself into. Some people are telling me to carb-load the night before, but I can't see how that would be helpful. Wouldn't that just weigh me down?
  • r_kraft
    Options
    Eat light and early the day before, your bigger meals are like two days before (only a little bigger or just normal). You do not need to Carb load. Also the morning of your run with the nerves and everything you do not need the extra junk in your tummy and the extra bathroom breaks. When you get into running more you will learn what sets best with you. Good Luck.
  • jfeakins
    Options
    Thank you again r_kraft! I was planning on just having a little coffee before the run. Typically if I eat anything before I run I get a killer side-stitch! My boyfriend is running with me and is a pretty great runner, so I'm hoping he will motivate me! Also, my personal trainer has volunteered to join me as well. At the end of the day, it's for charity so that's what really matters!! :smile:
  • jfeakins
    Options
    Just an update--- I ran my first 10k at 68 minutes!! I'm thrilled. I'm sore. I'm exhausted. I'm proud... what an awesome experience!! :flowerforyou: :smile: :happy::glasses:
  • r_kraft
    Options
    Good Job!
  • Flips37
    Flips37 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Awesome job and awesome times to both of you! You should be super proud!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!