Has anyone else STOPPED running?

Options
I was never a runner and hated it. Last year I worked up to running 1.5-2 miles non-stop (more in intervals). I knew it was the fastest way for me to burn calories. I was also going to the gym to lift weights twice per week.

During last winter's polar vortex I switched to pilates & piloxing classes. My running track was too much of a hassle to drive to, change clothes, etc, so I "lost my mile".

This summer, with no fit classes happening on the campus where I work, I "got my mile back" in running 3-4 days per week, decreased my times from 12 min to a best of 8:55 and was still hitting weights. With help from our dietician and the amazing MFP, I dropped 10 lbs.

Now that classes are back in session my work days are longer, including some evenings. I know the weather will again be a challenge, but my biggest thing was I got completely burnt-out from running. Even in dropping to one run a week I dreaded it. It was a challenge to keep count of my laps, even in using the Nike+ Running App because it was never calibrated correctly; the gym was too hot; laps got to be boring; and I had to overcome screaming volleyball girls practicing on the court below.

It took a lot for me to give myself permission to stop running, to know I would again "lose my mile" I'd worked so hard to acquire. Now I do Jillian Shred &/or 6 week 6 pack on Mondays, Piloxing or day off on Tuesdays, Pilates on Wed., Hardcore on Thurs, and Bootcamp on Friday.

Has anyone else "stopped" running? Any opinions on my new substitute workout routine? I've just started it and am unsure if it will result in continued weight loss. It's a struggle to calculate calories worked off in the class as I don't have a HRM and am liking the switch to more HIIT options.

Replies

• GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I plan to 'Stop' running for about 6 weeks after my last half marathon in middle of November, by stopping I mean, I'll take it down to just 1 or 2 runs at the weekend and the week day evening runs will be ditched, I'll probably go to bootcamp.
    I'll start again in January and deal with the dark nights and crap weather (marathon training starts at the end of January), I cut down, just to give the muscles a rest, the number of miles that I rack up in a week (and I'm low compared to some people) I like the rest to save the possibility of repepetive strain (that and the dark/wet/cold nights)!!
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm injured right now so I had to stop :grumble: ....as soon as I can I'll be back!!! I miss it so much and the huge calorie burns!! :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • s_bashore
    s_bashore Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I stopped running years ago. I was having achilles tendon and back problems. I'm also an avid biker so it wasn't a big deal, just focused on biking and hiking for exercise. I love bikes and have been a lifelong biker. Now in retirement I have four bikes in my garage, well technically three and a trike since one is a TerraTrike. If you haven't considered biking, it's a joint friendly very efficient way of getting a good cardio workout.
  • AmyOwl73
    AmyOwl73 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't know how easy it would be where you live, but trail or road running outdoors really takes the monotony out of running. I run much farther doing that and don't get the burnout you describe since I can vary my routes. I live in Texas, though, and realize that we are blessed with pretty good running weather (except during July and August!!). Anytime I have tried to run on a track or a treadmill, every fiber of my being screams, "this is BORING!! Everything HURTS! STOP NOW!!".

Looking at your "substitute" workout routine, I think you will see a benefit from it. I've read that HIIT is really effective at raising metabolism, so you should be OK. Are you taking Saturday and Sunday off? It might be good to do something for balance and flexibility on those days. Yoga, PiYo, or Pilates? Jillian Michaels has a video out called "Yoga Meltdown".. It's on Amazon Prime right now, but you can buy the DVD too. I'm sore ALL OVER after one session! LOL
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Judging running based upon doing laps around a track is like judging swimming by taking a bath.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately yes.

I injured my foot doing Insanity a couple of years ago so now when I run -- and even walk for a while -- my foot hurts. :( I love running so it makes me sad to think I can't do it.

I have recently bought some inserts for my shoes that seem like they might help my problem. I'm hoping they do.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I stopped about 30 years ago.
  • kylegrace1965
    kylegrace1965 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Once I learned you burn the same amount of calories walking I stopped jogging. If you run 2 miles or walk 2 miles it works out to the same calories. It just takes a little longer. Don't risk injury.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I run exclusively outdoors, so I stop for about 3 months in the winter and do strength and cardio videos at home. This spring it only took about a month before I was back up to speed, so to speak. But I agree with other who say running a track is like torture, only one step above a treadmill. I also listen to podcasts and use the Zombies, Run! app to distract my brain from telling my legs they can't keep going.

But if you don't like running, heck! Don't do it! Your other activities sound like great calorie munchers although often you have to do them longer to get the same burn as a run. But who cares? If you like them better then you're going to stick with them. And as my friends list has heard a million times, consistency is the most important thing.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,217 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I stop running at the end of each of my runs. :P

Kidding (well sorta not really). I stopped for years once I got out of hte army and no one was making me run any more. Found it again and fell in love earlier this year. But for YOU... Honey, if you hate running, then find something you like and do that instead. You'll still get the benefit of exercise, and you'll be enjoying it. It sounds like you've already got a solid plan. :flowerforyou: BUT - I recommend giving running outside a try. I absolutely HATE track running. But put me outside where I can see new things as I go and I'm completely at peace. :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Most I've run during my weight loss was about 10 minutes on a treadmill to experiment with minimalist running.

Other than that I'd rather have fun. So now I run across a court chasing a ball with a bat with strings.
  • TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Judging running based upon doing laps around a track is like judging swimming by taking a bath.

More like judging swimming by doing laps in a pool.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Yes, I wanted to be a runner pretty bad but was never really good at it. I don't mind running if I'm playing sports, but just running on a treadmill or on the street is boring for me. I used to force myself to run both at the gym and outside. Now I only do strength training (heavy lfiting) 3x week and that's good enough for me. I'll go on long walks with the baby stroller on weekends but that's about it for cardio. It's not for everyone and strength training is more important for me anyway!
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yes. I never really liked running either, although I did like the feeling of accomplishment running my first mile and so on. After my first 5k I kind of lost interest and went back to just lifting weights, and if I do cardio it's usually heavy bag. Recently I've kind of felt like taking it up again although I'll probably change my mind when I get 100 yards down the road.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

QFT. The only thing a track is good for is when you have to do speedwork (and your intervals are pre-programmed into your Garmin, so you don't have to think about it LOL). Get outside! Run on a trail or the road. I can run FAR longer outside than I can on a track (tho I can run far longer on a track than I can on a dreadmill). I run outside all year (when it is 90 degrees and when it is 0 degrees, in all weather except lightning and ice)....you just have to dress properly. :flowerforyou:

I have been off running for over a week due to some IT band issues, and it is killing me (the not running part). I have my first run in 10 days tonight after work - a very short interval run (will be under 30 minutes, including w/u and c/d walk time)...I am SO looking forward to it! :happy:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    <<<Not a runner...

Not sure why so many people think that to be fit you have to run...running is not necessary to being fit. Personally, I think running is very hard on the joints and hard on the body in general...beyond that, running just plain sucks...but my wife loves it...so there you go.
  • gobonas99
    Options

More like judging swimming by doing laps in a pool.

Since I got my lap counter, I no longer dread doing laps in a pool! LOL! :smile: Best $40 I've EVER spent! :bigsmile: no more "how many laps was that?" "what lap am I on?" "was that lap 40 or 41?" questions :laugh:

I definitely prefer open water tho...sadly, our OWS season is VERY limited, even with a wetsuit (June-Sept...maybe the second half of May and the first part of October if you're really brave)
  • gobonas99
    Options
    Not sure why so many people think that to be fit you have to run...running is not necessary to being fit.

No...running is NOT necessary to be fit. It IS, however, necessary to train for and compete in triathlons...so I do it. :flowerforyou:
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I run outside all year (when it is 90 degrees and when it is 0 degrees, in all weather except lightning and ice)....you just have to dress properly. :flowerforyou:
    ^^^Definitely! Every once in a while I have to go the gym to use the mill... One time I decided to run their "track" where you have to do 19 laps to get a mile...lol... I can tell you that doing that 8 miles was possibly the worst run I have ever endured... and I can't figure out why I just didn't stop...lol....
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running and try to change up my routes to keep things interesting. I supplement running with road cycling. I used to not enjoy running but had to due to my military service. I also smoked which didn't help things but when I quit 8 years ago, my running has picked up. I love it and don't plan to quit