Plank challenge - bleeding elbow!

I've been doing the 30 Day Plank Challenge. It seemed like a better idea on day 1. :huh:

Somehow or other, I've ended up with a carpet burn on my elbow in the process. I just tried to do it again, and it started bleeding. Again.

If I do a plank on my hands instead of my elbows.... how different is that, really? Would it count if I switched to that for a few days? I don't want to lose the challenge because of a stupid scabby elbow, but I don't want to half-*kitten* it either.

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Ummm....bandaids?
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Put a towel under your elbow so you don't mess up the carpet if that's the concern. Maybe you can find a less scratchy towel too so it'll do less damage to your elbows.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I've been doing the 30 Day Plank Challenge. It seemed like a better idea on day 1. :huh:

Somehow or other, I've ended up with a carpet burn on my elbow in the process. I just tried to do it again, and it started bleeding. Again.

If I do a plank on my hands instead of my elbows.... how different is that, really? Would it count if I switched to that for a few days? I don't want to lose the challenge because of a stupid scabby elbow, but I don't want to half-*kitten* it either.

I would not suggest doing planks on carpet (especially as it seems you are having stabilizing issues because it's rubbing your elbows so much). I would really consider getting a yoga mat.

Planks in a push up type situation (with your hands versus forearms) is just a different variation and I don't see why it wouldn't count. You could consider doing half-planks on your knees as well. I think these challenges are what you make of them. But either way, you should definitely stop doing them on your forearms ifit is causing/aggravating an injury. Even if it means missing out on the challenge.
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    If you must do planks on the carpet use a towel or fold a yoga mat and rest your elbows on them. But because your elbows are rug burned just do them on your hands until they feel better.
  • aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Yeah, good point - it's definitely time to invest in a yoga mat. I'm Scottish, what can I say? :tongue: I tend to shake a LOT when I'm doing it and my hips tend to raise gradually and I have to bring it back down again, although I'm definitely improving. I suppose that's part of the problem? Either way, it's not going to get better if I don't keep trying.

Anyway, I powered through it with a folded towel down, so yay for me. And thanks for the tip!
  • ElBriano
    ElBriano Posts: 10 Member
    To confirm what the other person said, a plank on your hands is somewhat different, but will still work the core.
    However, if you want to get closer to the effect of elbow plank, you can place your feet on a step to increase your foot elevation so that the the net is closer to the same. You may achieve more work, since the extension of the arms and raising of the feet can require more stabilization.