Eating healthy on a budget

Options
My husband and I have decided to try to cut back on our grocery bill. We are spending 6-$800 a month on food and are trying to cut it down to around $400, if that's possible. We are a family of 6...2 adults and 4 small children. I'm just curious if anyone here manages to eat healthy on a budget? I'm in Ohio and it seems the prices of everything just keep going up and up and up. Please give me some advice, recipes, etc. Thanks so much!

Replies

• fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    We are a family of 4 and spend almost 600.00 a month and still run out of food and have to eat out. I'd say (and its sad to acknowledge it) what you're spending now is probably normal. We do have a little more expense because I buy the "dirty dozen" veggies organic, and i buy organic milk and lunch meat since the kids consume so much. I'm not willing to give that up either.

I have several friends who "coupon" and they save a lot of money, but I've found that it takes so much time to organize that correctly, and you most likely will have to go to several different stores for all the bargins. :-/

I wish I had better advice for you, but I, myself have tried to find ways of cutting back and I haven't figured it out yet with a husband and 6 year old that take their lunches everyday, and trying to eat dinners through the week at home.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I try to stick with cheap, healthy staple items. Potatoes, eggs, beans (dried not canned), and frozen veggies are all super cheap and healthy. If there's an ethnic store near you (asian, indian, mexican, etc), you can often find things like rice and beans even cheaper there. The Mexican produce markets near me always sells fruits and vegetables for much cheaper than my local Jewel. Hope that helps! I'm single so I know it's quite different for me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Foods in their natural state are going to be cheaper. Anytime you get something pre-cooked or pre-sliced your going to pay a lot more.

Frozen veggies are a good buy, and they won't go bad.

For lean meats: chicken (any) canned tuna or salmon, ground turkey

Oats, beans, lentils, potatoes

Fruits are harder - bananas and bagged apples are the cheapest. Some canned fruit is healthy, look for fruit packed in juice.

Peanut butter

Whole grain bread doesn't have to be pricey. See if there is a store brand available.

Do you have an Aldi near you. Lots of produce is cheap there.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    As a father of 7 it is possible just takes some work. Try shopping at Costco. Also we shop a local grocery store and make sure we buy our meat when it is on sale. Buy store brands also it is amazing what you can find at Dollartree cereal etc that is normally $3-4
    at most grocery stores. Good Luck

29509743.png
  • afleming22710
    afleming22710 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

We do have an Aldi and Dollar Tree. I normally shop at Kroger but think I'll check those two places out!
  • Amelia0471
    Options
    I will use coupons as well as making lots of casseroles! Casseroles are great dinners, reheat well, and most of them can be frozen and you can put anything in them. I have tons of casserole receipes for breakfasts and dinners you can always message me. But you can get multiple meals out of them. I also freeze a lot of stuff if it is on sale I will buy it and freeze it (if it can be frozen).
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I am a pretty frugal shopper. Here are some quick tips:

1) Plan your meals. This way, you can make a big batch of two or three (cheap) foods and eat on them all week.
    2) Eat fruits and veggies that are in season.
    3) Know when something is a good price and stock up on it. I use coupons and wait for a sale and then stock up on essentials like canned beans, canned tomatoes, oatmeal, cereal, pasta, pasta sauce, etc. I will buy and freeze chicken when it's a great price.
    4) Buy frozen fruits, veggies, seafood, etc. It's often cheaper than fresh and just as healthy.
    5) Get to know the sales at your stores. Get the sales flier every week and keep up with what a good price is on the stuff you buy. Most things will go on sale every 4-5 weeks. There are many websites that give great information about sales and coupons at specific stores. Totallytarget.com is one great example.

Use those five tips together. So, stock up on essentials at your store when they are on sale. Once a week, take stock of what you have and make a meal plan. You might have a good amount of rice, chicken, canned tuna, and cheese. Maybe broccoli, sweet potatoes, and green beans were in season and cheep that week. With a little creativity, you can make several meals out of that (stuffed sweet potatoes, cheesy tuna broccoli casserole, chicken with rice and green beans, etc.)
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ohio too. I think Kroger is very expensive and will only go there if there is a specific item that I have to have and it's on sale there. Have you shopped Meijer before? They have good sales and their produce is always good. The town I live in has an Aldi but ours never has any good produce. The Meijer website has Mperks that you can sign up for and every week when the Sunday ad comes out, you can get online and clip the coupons and they sometimes also have an Mperk like $10 off $50. This is where I shop the most. There are lots of things that are store brand that are as goo or better than brand name. I also love when they have the buy 10 get the 11th item free mix or match. That's a good sale.
  • afleming22710
    afleming22710 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a Meijer about 20 minutes from me. I've been there before but always stick with Kroger since it's in town. Maybe I'll take the drive to Meijer this week.
    I'm in Ohio too. I think Kroger is very expensive and will only go there if there is a specific item that I have to have and it's on sale there. Have you shopped Meijer before? They have good sales and their produce is always good. The town I live in has an Aldi but ours never has any good produce. The Meijer website has Mperks that you can sign up for and every week when the Sunday ad comes out, you can get online and clip the coupons and they sometimes also have an Mperk like $10 off $50. This is where I shop the most. There are lots of things that are store brand that are as goo or better than brand name. I also love when they have the buy 10 get the 11th item free mix or match. That's a good sale.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Barley, collard greens, kale, beans... These things are pretty inexpensive and healthy, and can go a long way. Compare the price of a bunch of collard greens to spinach some time.

I can darn near eat my weight in sauteed greens. Slice them into strips, sautee in grapeseed oil with lots of diced garlic. Really good.

My daughter was a vegan chef (Lady Cook, as she calls it) on a budget for a time and what she can do with some kale or barley or quinoa will knock you on your butt.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Do you have any bulk buying stores like Sam's Club, Costco's, or BJ's? They usually have a meat section and can run specials as well. Chicken breast bought in bulk and then frozen can be a way to save on the meats. Fruits and veggies can be found in bulk and frozen there too.

Then all the other ideas that were mentioned above. Sadly, my husband and I spend about $600/month also at the grocery store for just the two of us (it doesn't pay for us to get the bulk buying stores for just us two).
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Investing in a dedicated freezer or clearing out the cruft in your existing one for food you will actually eat can give you more flexibility to take advantage of sales. A lot more food can be frozen than you might think (with a bit of prep to control moisture/air exposure)
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I use Costco and local farmers/fish markets and herd shares for organic meat. I also grow my own garden of herbs, tomatoes and peppers all of which are fairly easy to grow (I'm no green thumb). I'm not sure what you have near you but if you start looking into local farms and co-ops you might find some great deals.
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just moved from Ohio to California, I'd pretty much sell my soul for kroger prices again! That said... Have you looked into the website budget bytes? She has great recipes for low prices. And you don't have to make huge dinners, if that's where your costs add up. This time of year, apples are suuuuper cheap (especially at Meijer like someone suggested - don't shop for everything at Meijer though because they sell out of their weekly deals sooo fast) so if someone is still hungry after dinner, give them an apple! Clementines are starting to come back into season and I'm pretty sure kroger runs $3.99/bag deals on those starting soon.

It's taking forever to figure out how to shop seasonally and inexpensively here after a few years in Cincinnati because seasonally, the prices are so cheap there.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have been trying this for months.. and I just can't seem to keep it low. Although I do shop sales first and try to go without things that are not on sale. But i end up at the store any way later in the week to get it. I do have a Sams membership, and the chicken there is cheap. ($1.88 lb) of course it's probably the worst chicken you can get, but until I get a significant increase in salary or marry rich it is what it is. lol. I only shop for 2 and i'm easily over 400 per month. I don't buy junk. I buy fruits veggies and lean meats. I very rarely eat steak or pork and I don't eat a lot of starches. I don't buy pastries or cookies or chips or soda. I wish I had help for you, but aside from being really careful with portions and eating leftovers it's a tough endeavor.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    It might be a platitude, but I like the line "pay the farmer now, or pay the doctor later" :-O
  • pam_williams
    pam_williams Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I coupon shop at Kroger and Meijer. I've found that with meal planning, sale shopping, and couponing I have reduced my grocery budget.

Try the Kroger digital coupons and coupons.com for printable coupons if you don't have a lot of spare time. If you have more time to dedicate to it, The Krazy Coupon lady site has great information and tips.

But the trick to making this work is to buy things when they are on sale with the coupons (especially your non food items). That will free up your budget to buy the fresh items that rarely go on sale.

Best of luck!
  • shanehollanduk
    shanehollanduk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    One of the things I do for a living is teach cooking on a budget.

1) Processed foods always, always cost more. There is no "added value" in basic items, the big food manufacturers make their profits by adding water/sugar/fillers and charging much more. Make your own sauces, and suppers
    2) No it doesn't need to take a lot of time: Omelettes are the perfect fast food (and low cal to boot)
    3) If you do cook, cook double to use up all your odds and ends, freeze half. Reheat instead of calling for a takeaway or reaching for a ready meal (almost always high in fat/sugar or salt) when you really are home late
    4) Eat less meat, more vegetables, beans, pulses all provide cheap protein.
    5) Buy what's in season, shop at markets at the end of the day when they discount...

If you want recipes/support feel free to message
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I coupon shop at Kroger and Meijer. I've found that with meal planning, sale shopping, and couponing I have reduced my grocery budget.

Try the Kroger digital coupons and coupons.com for printable coupons if you don't have a lot of spare time. If you have more time to dedicate to it, The Krazy Coupon lady site has great information and tips.

But the trick to making this work is to buy things when they are on sale with the coupons (especially your non food items). That will free up your budget to buy the fresh items that rarely go on sale.

Best of luck!

I use manufact and online Kroger coupons and will stock up on cans of simple truth organic veggies/beans when they are 10 for 10--and usually buy the items on sale as long as it's made with decent ingrediants.
    My problem is that we HAVE to have the essentials on hand at all times and that alone takes up about $150.00 a week--so I don't feel that I have the extra $$ to buy 2 cases of water for .50 off because it's not using money wisely--thats another 7.00 above what i have already spent.
    If i only bought the items i had coupons for, my pantry would only be filled with crackers, cookies, chips, instant potatoes, brown sugar, sweet and low, monster energy drinks and gatorade and my fridge would be packed with butter, breakfast sandwiches, cheese and condiments. I dont know about you, but there's nothing "healthy" about that. I understand stocking up, but most of the time, coupons only help me about 1/4 of the time.
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I feed a family of five on a budget between $500 to $550. Most of my grocery list is vegetables, fruit, beans, rice, pasta, bread, tortillas, and tofu. Stick to things like that, it will go very far on a tight budget.