Tracking exposes denial, that's for sure!

I posted previously that I am starting to struggle a bit with maintenance, due to lifestyle and hormonal changes and not being conscientious in my eating. I got lazy about tracking. So i tracked yesterday once again and yup, I see how I have been slipping into denial. No more! Back to tracking and conscious eating.

Thanks for the support, all! :)

Replies

• pandagirlshonerd
    pandagirlshonerd Posts: 50 Member
    Woo, go you, keep at it! :) I felt the same way a while back - I was just eating so much crap and hadn't really been noticing until I started tracking again. keep it up!
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    It's so easy to justify it in your mind! When I track - OMG - really???!!! Good luck! :)
  • GulfcoastAL
    GulfcoastAL Posts: 74 Member
    I know! I just started tracking a week ago in a notebook for the 1st time since high school. After 5 days of that, thankfully found this site! I'm 45 and going through same thing- healthy eater, exercising, but hormonal changes have thrown me for a loop! Exercising only isn't working like it did. My 14 year old daughter is like, " Are you seriously writing down what you're eating?!?" I'm like- yep! I have had a bad habit of going back for seconds of pasta for dinner. This is surprisingly keeping me honest.
  • rungurl3
    rungurl3 Posts: 106 Member
    I know, right?! It's so easy to get caught up in how good stuff tastes, or how nice it is to sit down with the family on a cool night over a warm dinner... I just have to bring my goal of staying thin thru the hormonal rollercoaster front of mind!

Thank you all for understanding and supporting!
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Maintaining and hormone fluctuations have been hard for me to manage this past year also. Lost 35 lbs and maintained that for 1 1/2 years but have gained 10 in the last year due to sloppy logging and my body having a mind of its own due to these crazy hormones. Need to get back to eating the way I am supposed to and backing away from the simple carbs and wine! Would love a few more like minded friends to help me be accountable.
  • GulfcoastAL
    GulfcoastAL Posts: 74 Member
    That's me- carbs and wine!! Reading through the boozing and losing threads now.... Although I know what I need to do.
  • mikeshockley
    mikeshockley Posts: 684 Member
    It's true. Not that I'm a hardcore calorie counter, but I do try to come in at or under my MFP calorie goal daily (with exercise). Before, I'd have a sandwich with chips, or some other snack, thinking they were mostly harmless. Then I started tracking/paying attention to calories. What an eye opener!! That small bag of chips is another 180 calories! No thanks!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,226 Member
    It is definitely an eye-opener. I put in my recipe for chocolate chip cookies and came up with a whopping 135 calories per cookie; and not that big a one. Yikes! I am here for keeps!
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Seriously!!!!! It's always surprising to me how and where the calories are sneaking in. "What do you mean a tablespoon of peanutbutter is 190 cal?!"

Good work everyone! I see lots of weight loss happening on your tickers!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I agree, that's why I resigned myself to track forever.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Yeah, tracking definatly keeps you honest with yourself. I did good for a while when I stopped around the holidays last year, but that didn't last. After I realized I'd gained almost 10 lbs back, I bribed myself to start up again. And it's definatly helping!
  • shazzieb59
    shazzieb59 Posts: 4 Member
    oh so wished i had checked before i ate the ice cream !!! lesson learnt for today ~ track before eating ~ onward and upward and tomorrow is another day x
  • Texnell
    Texnell Posts: 20 Member
    I am a lifetime WW member .... hit goal after losing 92 pounds. That was not my first WW attempt. However, it was the first time I journaled my food .... the good, the bad, the ugly.
    Now here I am again. Don't want to start paying @ WW again (since I am not at goal weight). The food tracker here is exactly what I need. We THINK we remember what we ate at the end of the day, but we think what we wish we had eaten sometimes, not what we actually ate.
    Here's to continued success. :happy:
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Totally with you on this. I've been maintaining since the beginning of the summer. I am so sick of tracking, so I started tracking only protein. While that made me feel better about not having to be so meticulous, it also seemed to open up the door for total crap eating. So I am now back to tracking everything. PLUS, now I get to eat at a deficit to lose what I gained while trying to maintain without tracking. Sigh...
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    I know, right?! It's so easy to get caught up in how good stuff tastes, or how nice it is to sit down with the family on a cool night over a warm dinner... I just have to bring my goal of staying thin thru the hormonal rollercoaster front of mind!

Thank you all for understanding and supporting!

OMG. You're me. You are SO not alone... I haven't been regularly exercising in 3 months due to an injury and a variety of excuses. That hasn't helped either. I'm back to planning my meals out of Cooking Light. Easy to log though, since that's what I was doing a year and a half ago when I did so well!! :laugh:
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Is there a perimenopausal crazy ladies support group on here? Maybe there should be. I'll be doing so well and then all of sudden, my hormones will tell me it's a great idea to eat an entire jar of Nutella chased with a jar of peanut butter. (What is it about PB? I get the Nutella, but the peanut butter cravings at certain times of month are a new thing and seem to be related to my wacky hormone spikes.)

It does help knowing I'd have to record those whole jars of salty, nutty, chocolate-drenched goodness.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Is there a perimenopausal crazy ladies support group on here? Maybe there should be. I'll be doing so well and then all of sudden, my hormones will tell me it's a great idea to eat an entire jar of Nutella chased with a jar of peanut butter. (What is it about PB? I get the Nutella, but the peanut butter cravings at certain times of month are a new thing and seem to be related to my wacky hormone spikes.)

It does help knowing I'd have to record those whole jars of salty, nutty, chocolate-drenched goodness.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/523-near-or-post-menopausal-group

:)
  • LouLouStBijou
    LouLouStBijou Posts: 987 Member
    oh so wished i had checked before i ate the ice cream !!! lesson learnt for today ~ track before eating ~ onward and upward and tomorrow is another day x

Yeah - I get you there. I am better about checking and tracking (BEFORE I actually put it in my mouth) than I was but some days it feels like an awful lot of work ....