what to do if one is not losing weight on a low carb diet?

Options

Replies

• Biggirllittledreams
    Options
    Hello friends please share your suggestions here what to do if one is not losing weight on a low carb diet ?

Waiting for the suggestions

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results."

Logically, then you should stop the low carb diet.
    Eating a balanced diet and remaining moderately active will most likely give you much much better results, while also not destroying your health and it's much more sustainable.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    That is the thing that is hard for many people to understand. I've lost weight eating 3000+ calories a day

You're young and you weigh more than 200 pounds.

Someone older or closer to a healthy weight (or both) would not lose on 3,000 calories a day, no matter what that person ate. You are eating fewer calories than you're burning and that is why you're having success.
    Exactly right. I'm pushing 50, and at a healthy weight and my maintenance calories are closer to 2,000. And my sweet spot for losing is around 1500.

Lucky you. I have a couple of years before I hit 50 and my sweet spot for losing weight is 1350. Maintenance is somewhere around 1600-1700. Sucks to have a sluggish metabolism.
    Yup. And I move a ton. I average 12,000 steps a day (running, walking, cycling), and lift weights, and do Pilates... And with that I burn about 2,000.

I hear you! I run three times a week and do strength training 2-3 days a week and on those days I do 30 minutes on the ARC trainer averaging 140 steps a minute. I also average 12,000 steps a day. Middle-age metabolism is a pain.

Oh, and to stay on topic, I did a low carb diet about 10 years ago. I thought I would die! I had headaches from hell and could hardly walk across the room because I was so tired. On top of that, when I got hungry on low carb, I was murderously hungry. Do NOT get between me and my food!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    OP: Ask your question in the low carb group here. You'll get a helpful answer there.

Because the answers above aren't valid? Do the laws of thermodynamics cease to work in the low carb forum group?
    Other than "eat less"? No. They aren't even answers to the OP. It's just the usuals arguing amongst themselves.

Nobody can answer the op until they provide more information. The kind asked for in the first few posts.

Feel free to try though.

Oh wait, you didn't either.
    He probably abandoned his thread. As they often do when they get thread jacked.
    Which is why I suggested he ask in the low carb forum.

Alas, newbies know no better...how are they supposed to know the minefield they blunder into?

Standard MFP procedure:
    See a low-carb thread.
    Tell them to not low-carb instead of answering their question.
    Dump on low-carb diets/groups. (Zealotry comment.)
    Get in a calorie-deficit vs. low-carb debate. Neither accepting the studies linked on either side.
    Misinformation about low-carb diets gets spewed. (Often but not as much in this particular thread.)

Just anotha day in the MFP sandbox...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    jeez. i had no idea of the sorry plight of the MFP low carber. it must be awful for you guys to have to actually support your claims! imma go ahead and pin a yellow ribbon on my lapel just for you guys. or maybe i should dump a bucket of rice on head and tag other people on facebook?
  • trm68
    trm68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When one does exercise regularly/daily, eats right, post their daily food meals,,,and after 7 days of all this,,2 lbs comes off. Whats up with that??
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    OP: Ask your question in the low carb group here. You'll get a helpful answer there.

Because the answers above aren't valid? Do the laws of thermodynamics cease to work in the low carb forum group?
    Other than "eat less"? No. They aren't even answers to the OP. It's just the usuals arguing amongst themselves.

Nobody can answer the op until they provide more information. The kind asked for in the first few posts.

Feel free to try though.

Alas, newbies know no better...how are they supposed to know the minefield they blunder into?

Standard MFP procedure:
    See a low-carb thread.
    Get in a calorie-deficit vs. low-carb debate. Neither accepting the studies linked on either side.
    Misinformation about low-carb diets gets spewed. (Often but not as much in this particular thread.)

The OP's only response to specific questions (long before the thread-jacking) was basically that he wasn't going to answer any questions.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    When one does exercise regularly/daily, eats right, post their daily food meals,,,and after 7 days of all this,,2 lbs comes off. Whats up with that??
    Um ... success? Do you think this is a bad thing?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
    jeez. i had no idea of the sorry plight of the MFP low carber. it must be awful for you guys to have to actually support your claims! imma go ahead and pin a yellow ribbon on my lapel just for you guys. or maybe i should dump a bucket of rice on head and tag other people on facebook?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    i have inspected the above post and found that not a word of it contains any factual information. please disregard any and all advice given in that post

I disagree. I have read scientific evidence that artificial sweeteners can stimulate insulin production. The body "reads" them as sugars, even though they are not, and are calorie free.

It is a scientific fact that elevated insulin causes the body to store as fat the foods we are taking in. Any doctor, dietician medical book or even Wikipedia will confirm this.

Therefore, if you drink, say, a Diet Coke with your meal, and the sweeteners are read by the body as sugar, and the pancreas releases a gush of insulin to deal with the (perceived) sugar, then whatever you are eating is going to be stored as fat on your body.

On low carb diets this is especially bad, because you are eating fatty, high-calorie foods and so THAT is what you will store if your body produces insulin. The consequences are not as bad on low calorie diets because your meal is probably only 300 calories instead of 1,000 as it might be on Atkins.

let's look at it your way.

so let's say that i maintain on 3000 calories per day, and i'm cutting on say....2500 per day. i consume some artificial sweetners and now my body produces insulin and stores a portion of my calories into fat storage. okay, now, i *still* need 3000 cals to maintain my weight and I'm 500 short by the end of the day.

we agree that i'm still in a deficit, yes? so where does my body get those 500 calories from in order to not lose weight that's been created by my deficit?

Here's the Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine with reference to artificial sweeteners and weight gain:

" Several large scale prospective cohort studies found positive correlation between artificial sweetener use and weight gain. The San Antonio Heart Study examined 3,682 adults over a seven- to eight-year period in the 1980s [18]. When matched for initial body mass index (BMI), gender, ethnicity, and diet, drinkers of artificially sweetened beverages consistently had higher BMIs at the follow-up, with dose dependence on the amount of consumption. Average BMI gain was +1.01 kg/m2 for control and 1.78 kg/m2 for people in the third quartile for artificially sweetened beverage consumption. The American Cancer Society study conducted in early 1980s included 78,694 women who were highly homogenous with regard to age, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and lack of preexisting conditions [19]. At one-year follow-up, 2.7 percent to 7.1 percent more regular artificial sweetener users gained weight compared to non-users matched by initial weight. The difference in the amount gained between the two groups was less than two pounds, albeit statistically significant. Saccharin use was also associated with eight-year weight gain in 31,940 women from the Nurses’ Health Study conducted in the 1970s [20]."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

That doesn't say artificial sweetener cause the weight gain

correlation =/= causation

:noway:

I read the article and the conclusions by Yale University professors in a peer reviewed journal. They most definitely did establish that artificial sweeteners cause more weight gain than weight loss over time.
    :

Please take the time to actually read the study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

That is a single author mini-review - not research. But ok, lets go with it.
    The article the author cites as a possible forward correlation states:

"The addition of NNS to diets poses no benefit for weight loss or reduced weight gain without energy restriction. There are long-standing and recent concerns that inclusion of NNS in the diet promotes energy intake and contributes to obesity. Most of the purported mechanisms by which this occurs are not supported by the available evidence, although some warrant further consideration. Resolution of this important issue will require long-term randomized controlled trials."

In other words - energy restriction results in weight loss - there are no current supported mechanisms from scientific evidence for weight gain via NNS but maybe more research might shed a light. Also known as "we don't know if".

So no, your statement is just not true. They most definitely DO NOT establish a clear cause of weight gain directly from the use of artificial sweeteners - they do note specifically calories matter, specifically calorie restriction.

Try again.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    That is the thing that is hard for many people to understand. I've lost weight eating 3000+ calories a day

You're young and you weigh more than 200 pounds.

Someone older or closer to a healthy weight (or both) would not lose on 3,000 calories a day, no matter what that person ate. You are eating fewer calories than you're burning and that is why you're having success.
    Exactly right. I'm pushing 50, and at a healthy weight and my maintenance calories are closer to 2,000. And my sweet spot for losing is around 1500.

Lucky you. I have a couple of years before I hit 50 and my sweet spot for losing weight is 1350. Maintenance is somewhere around 1600-1700. Sucks to have a sluggish metabolism.
    Yup. And I move a ton. I average 12,000 steps a day (running, walking, cycling), and lift weights, and do Pilates... And with that I burn about 2,000.

I hear you! I run three times a week and do strength training 2-3 days a week and on those days I do 30 minutes on the ARC trainer averaging 140 steps a minute. I also average 12,000 steps a day. Middle-age metabolism is a pain.

Oh, and to stay on topic, I did a low carb diet about 10 years ago. I thought I would die! I had headaches from hell and could hardly walk across the room because I was so tired. On top of that, when I got hungry on low carb, I was murderously hungry. Do NOT get between me and my food!
    I tried it for a week a couple of years ago just to see how it would feel vis a vis these threads. I felt great. But it's not how I normally eat. I tend to eat pretty SLOW carb (not Tim Ferriss).
  • baconslave
    Options
    :yawn:

It must stink to keep tripping up on your own logical fallacies...
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Eliminate artificial sweeteners and focus on lean meats and veggies and unprocessed foods at meals. You know those foods that say they are low carb and low calorie but still have 20 ingredients you cant identify? Yea those are the ones that hold you back. When I felt myself plateau on low carb diets it was a result of eating too many processed foods with artificial sweeteners a going off the deep end with foods that were unhealthy.

Drink lots of water, eat clean and you'll bust through that plateau.
    Also track your body measurements. Low carb diets build muscle to replace the fat and sometimes the loss shows on the measurements before you see a drop on the scales.

I use artificial sweetners like there's no tomorrow and am all about the carbs. They're delicious. I also make frequent use of processed foods. As you can see by my ticker, these things really have nothing to do with weight loss. You simply need to create a caloric deficit.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Start weighing your food accurately. and eat some cookies that you've logged. and no I didn't read any responses.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    OP - I find it helpful to focus on one thing at a time, until I get the hang of it, then gradually add more information. What I mean is that you are over-complicating this process. The ONLY way to lose weight is to eat at a caloric deficit. Focus on this first, disregard any special diets or eliminating anything for the time being.

It is more important to log everything and make sure your daily calories don't go into the red. Then you will lose weight. Once you've got the hang of that, then you can start trying to understand more information such as macros, specific diets like low carb, or whatever way you decide to go about it.

At its core, MFP is a calorie counter. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.
  • baconslave
    Options

Feel free to try though.

Standard MFP procedure:
    See a low-carb thread.

The OP's only response to specific questions (long before the thread-jacking) was basically that he wasn't going to answer any questions.

Was what I said untrue?
    Check the "I didn't read the OP" threads just posted above this one. Or the "I haven't read any of the comments."

Yeah, OP won't answer any questions. So he won't get any help. People keep responding the above ways, though, regardless of whether OPs give further info. It's just a true observation of the workings of the community.
  • hippalottame
    Options
    (waving hi). I just joined too. I wanted to track it all. Have had more than my share of diet "adventures" and found that I've encountered more hurdles as I age (health issues/injuries/stress) so I set out to find exactly what is going to work for me - for always. A low carb way of eating is essential for me (not necessarily Atkins-just low carb in general) but the kind of tweaking I'm getting from a diabetic plan is even better - keeps everything balanced all day every day. Just google a low glycemic index and take note of the lowest glycemic foods. you can still stick to the low carbs but you'll be getting healthier ones. Easy peazy. I'll post the lowest glycemic ones for you...brb...
  • hippalottame
    Options
    I lost over a hundred pounds TWICE in my life lowering carbs. I lost it quick (so much for the gain-it-all-back theories) and kept it off for long periods of time too. Now I've got to get back on track. These foods are low on the glycemic index. I don't have diabetes but my sister did (as a child) and the entire family followed the diet plan to support her. She no longer has diabetes, nor does anyone else in our family. I'm the only one with the weight issues that surface here and there. Anyhoo...glycemic index foods..lower the better on the glycemic scale.

Beef,Bacon,Fish,Calamari,Seafood,Ham,Lamb,Lobster,Turkey - *free* to eat
    Avocados _ very low
    100% fruit jam, long grain rice only, fettucine,linguine,sushi-Low
    most veggies,apples, and peas are low
    PUmpernickel bread is low but white bread is high.
    All Bran cereal and steel cut oats are low but Bran Flakes and instant oatmeal is High.

As you can see, eating the unprocessed "real" foods are ideal.
    Combine with an exercise plan you enjoy and voila.
    Pickleball anyone???
  • starladustangel
    Options
    I went through the not losing weight on a low carb diet thing. Initially at one point I did lose 30 pounds on Atkins from 297 to 267 but then gained it back because it wasn't sustainable long term. I tried low carb again once I had gained back to my starting point but was only able to get back to 287. One thing I found in low carb groups was they would tell you to try everything else except watch your calories. I got told to do a meat and egg fast. Lost a few pounds pretty quickly but I was craving vegetables badly and gained back what little I lost after having a salad. Was told to avoid "nightshade vegetables" like bell peppers. No change. Was told to give up artificial sweetener like in diet coke. No change. Told to have less vegetables and more meat. I just wanted a salad. Constantly told I needed to cut my carbs to less than 20 g a day. People are not meant to not eat vegetables. Our hunter-gatherer ancestors were eating what they could pick off bushes not just the meat they hunted.

I read "The Primal Blueprint". While by no means do I strictly follow primal, it made more sense then a lot of low carb books. The carb goal that the author suggests is a far more reasonable 50-100 g of carbs a day. I initially set that as my goal along with a calorie goal. Right now I typically eat 75-125 g of carbs a day and under 1400 calories. I've been steadily losing weight and have gone from 287 in June to 263 today. Slow but steady and I eat most foods in moderation.

I do believe that most people could probably benefit from lower carbs but on a more moderate carb approach along with watching calories. The few people who are able to lose large amounts of weight just cutting carbs and not watching calories are luckier than most of us. Most of us have to watch calories even while watching carbs.
  • baconslave
    Options

I read "The Primal Blueprint". While by no means do I strictly follow primal, it made more sense then a lot of low carb books. The carb goal that the author suggests is a far more reasonable 50-100 g of carbs a day. I initially set that as my goal along with a calorie goal. Right now I typically eat 75-125 g of carbs a day and under 1400 calories. I've been steadily losing weight and have gone from 287 in June to 263 today. Slow but steady and I eat most foods in moderation.

I do believe that most people could probably benefit from lower carbs but on a more moderate carb approach along with watching calories. The few people who are able to lose large amounts of weight just cutting carbs and not watching calories are luckier than most of us. Most of us have to watch calories even while watching carbs.

Not all low-carb diets are as low as mine (20-30g/day). They all vary. But your 50g-100g range and 1400 sounds a lot what my maintenance is going to look like.

Good for you for finding out what works for you. That's how you are supposed to do it. :smile:

Those lucky people (who don't have to calorie-count) stink, but I'm happy for them. :laugh:
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

OP is eating low carb and has no idea how many calories they are consuming and is shocked, SHOCKED that they aren't losing weight. letting the OP know that low carb isn't magic and doesn't work unless they are still in a calorie deficit would seem to be exactly the type of answer the OP needs, no?

^^^ Exactly this ^^^