Yikes how did I gain four pounds in one day!!

Options
So I was doinng well lost 6 pounds i three week- then had what i thught was a great weekend- worked out everyday, tracked my food, did not indulge...got on scale UP 4 POUNDS. Advice anyone

Replies

• purplespeckle
    Options
    So I was doinng well lost 6 pounds i three week- then had what i thught was a great weekend- worked out everyday, tracked my food, did not indulge...got on scale UP 4 POUNDS. Advice anyone

when did you weigh yourself? was it in the morning after you used the bathroom before you consumed any drinks/food?
    if not then you should do that next time.
    if so then maybe you've gained muscle? remember muscle weighs more than fat and also takes up less space so while the # on the scale may be discouraging you should also take your measurements to see if you are losing inches. look on the pics on my profile (or just google it) and you can see the difference in 5 lbs of fat and 5 lbs of muscle its a huge difference
    everyone has these moments don't worry aobut it and just keep going
    if you quit now what will happen? you'll either stay the same or gain...you don't want that so just KEEP GOING you can do it
  • GayleenEG
    Options
    This happened to me last week! I cried all morning. But after several days and I kept exercising and eating properly, they dissappeared. Your body's natural fluids have a lot to do with it. Just don't give up.
  • snmonson
    Options
    Your body most likely hasn't disposed of the waste yet. Don't worry about it, and keep up the good work.
  • amysambora
    Options
    Don't worry, you haven't 'gained four pounds'. Weight can fluctuate over the course of the day due to all sorts of factors like waste, fluid retention, muscle sensitivity, what you've eaten etc etc. You need to be weighing yourself first thing in the morning after you've been to the bathroom. To illustrate my point, try weighing yourself again halfway through the day, then again at the end of the day. Chances are you'll weigh more at the end of the day than you do first thing in the morning, but it doesn't mean you've 'gained weight'. Keep working hard and doing what you're doing, and most importantly, measure yourself!!! Losing inches is the true indicator of success. You haven't done anything wrong, so keep at it and don't lose heart!
  • Nazbuster
    Options
    Easy. Water retention. Check your salt intake. This is why it's important to have all the nutrient info in your diary entries and to be as accurate as you can. I once gained 7 lbs in one day.
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    Step away from the scale. Don't stress too much about it. You could be retaining water. I only weigh myself once a week. Every Friday morning. If you do it more often then you'll see the yo yo weight gain and losses. Stay focused on eating right and working out. I weighed the same for 3 weeks but I didn't give up. The next weigh in I had lost 3 lbs. I've gained weight one week and lost more the next.

One step at a time in the right direction.
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    ....if so then maybe you've gained muscle? remember muscle weighs more than fat
    Actually a lb of fat weighs the same as a lb of muscle...
  • tauns
    tauns Posts: 29
    Options
    Drink water...lots and lots of water tomorrow and then stay within or under your calorie range. Make sure to eat at least 1 apple. Do the same thing the next day. I will bet money that the next day you will have that weight plus a little more off! When I say lots of water I mean you should drink at least half your weight in oz of water (ex. you weight 150 you have to drink 75 oz water). If you weigh anything under 128 you still have to drink at least 64 oz of water.

Hope this helps. I find that it does with me every time and I have lost more weight than I currently weigh :)
  • Natolee72
    Natolee72 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My period affects my weight drastically like that :grumble: anywhere from 3 to 5 pounds :ohwell: but they go away after I'm done :tongue: it's the other pounds that I can't get rid of :frown: lol
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Are you PMSing?
  • msJNFR
    msJNFR Posts: 7
    Options
    One pound of fat is equal to about 3500 calories-- so unless you consumed 140,000 more calories than you normally do, there's no way that you gained 4 lbs of FAT in a day. :)