What is a cortisol test?

Options
Hello:

I would like MFP's opinion. My gym said maybe I am not losing weight because my "Cortisol" is off. They said they could test my cortisol levels and the fee is around $200.

Any opinions, suggestions. Is this a real thing? It is very expensive. :huh:

Replies

• mona52bask
    mona52bask Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would probably go to my doctor first. If I needed this type of test, then it would be covered under my health insurance. This is just what I would do. Good luck!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Cortisol is a stress hormone. My daughter had this done. There are three kinds of tests, spit, blood, and urine. The most common is the 24 hour urine test. You collect urine in a big jug for 24 hours and they test the cortisol levels. High cortisol can cause you to gain weight that you can't shift. Not sure what it costs, as I'm in Canada and it's covered by health care.

ETA: Is your gym offering to do the test? If so, I call scam. Only a lab can read the test correctly. See if your doctor will request the test for you.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sure it's a real thing but if they were really worried about your health, they'd suggest you talk to your doctor about such things. Having a test done at a gym sounds like the start of a sales pitch for supplements and such to "boost" metabolism or something. Save your money.

There are a million different reasons why you're not losing weight. Are you tracking your food consistently and accurately? Are your weight loss goals set correctly? Do you eat back all the exercise calories MFP gives you? Could even be other actual medical conditions - thyroid, hormones, etc. If you think it's a health issue, talk to your doctor, not some hack in a gym.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of a gym testing someone's cortisol level.

Cortisol is a stress hormone produced by the adrenal gland.

Also, there are many other medical conditions that could be the reason for you not losing weight. The most common reason people don't lose weight is because they aren't logging your calories consistently, aren't using a food scale, and are overestimating calories burned through exercise.

If you want to have your cortisol level tested, go see your PCP. It is a simple blood and/or urine test and certainly not $200 if you have insurance.
  • gotonenerveleft
    gotonenerveleft Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Go to your dr. Don't play around with that stuff. Cortisol is a hormone that is secreted when you're stressed and other times. It adds belly fat. It's from the adrenal gland. Don't take supplements that mess with your adrenals. I had a volleyball sized tumor removed, along with my kidney and part of my liver three years ago. It was adrenal cancer. It's a rare cancer and that really can't pinpoint what causes it. And to me because they don't know is why I say don't mess around with it. Like a poster mentioned it's a 24 hour urine test. I had to do it through the hospital and it was more than $200
  • Bellavita2888
    Bellavita2888 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, I will ask my doc
  • Bellavita2888
    Bellavita2888 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. Hope you are well and wishing you continued good health..