Advice on activity level

Options
Hi guys - I need some advice re my activity level. I want to pursue the TDEE method, but I'm not sure what to class myself activity-wise. I'm 23, 5ft 6 and am actually already a healthy weight according to BMI, but I've put on 12lbs in last couple of years and I want to lose them.

I have a desk job, but a relatively active personal life. My day starts at 6am when I get up and go to the stables to feed, muck out and turn out my horse. I then go off to work, which is a desk job, though there is about 15 mins walking each way involved in getting to and from station etc. sat at desk most of day though there's quite a lot of running up and down stairs. After work I go back to the stables, bring in, school my horse for about 40 mins and do about an hours worth of stable chores I.e skipping out, feeds and haynets, grooming etc. I get home around 9 and do an hours worth of domestic chores before crashing out. I know I feel knackered, but I have no idea which bracket I fall into activity wise, as I don't 'work out' as such. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Replies

• dressagediva51
    dressagediva51 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Up
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like a perfect situation for a fitbit or some other device to monitor your activity.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Don't over complicate it. No matter what equation or what fancy device you wear, you are going to be guessing at your activity level. Just pick any reasonable number and eat that many calories for a few weeks. If you lose weight at an appropriate rate then continue with that number. If you do not lose weight, reduce the number by about 10% and give it a few more weeks. If you lose weight to quickly, raise the number a little.
  • dressagediva51
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions :)
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I never know what to put as my activity level. I work as a paramedic which can be VERY active some days...somedays not so much, so I tend to ignore the issue and go with some of the advice above. I found a number that works and stick with it. Good luck.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I agree with fitbit, otherwise I'd go with lightly active and see if you're losing too fast.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Don't over complicate it. No matter what equation or what fancy device you wear, you are going to be guessing at your activity level. Just pick any reasonable number and eat that many calories for a few weeks. If you lose weight at an appropriate rate then continue with that number. If you do not lose weight, reduce the number by about 10% and give it a few more weeks. If you lose weight to quickly, raise the number a little.

+1
  • dressagediva51
    Options
    Thanks - I tend to be one of those people that see a number and then obssess about it and stick to it to the calorie, perhaps I should try being more flexible and play around until I find what works....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I tend to be one of those people that see a number and then obssess about it and stick to it to the calorie, perhaps I should try being more flexible and play around until I find what works....

log everything you normally eat for a week when you do your normal amount of activity... then take 300 cals off that figure so you're in a deficit... check your weight after 4-6 weeks and tweak again as necessary.

with 12lb to lose, you should be aiming to lose 0.5 - 1lb per week.
  • dressagediva51
    Options
    Thanks, that's a good idea :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sounds lightly active.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem - some days I'm sat at a desk all day others I'm walking around all day and lifting heavy things (I'm a librarian!), then in my spare time I do quite a bit of exercise, so I class myself as lightly active - not sure if that's right!