Can't Lose Weight.. Suggestions?

Options
About 4-5 years ago I lost 70 pounds and am 15 from UGW. I maintained for about 2 years, then decided to get back into things and lose that 15. I track and workout everyday and can't lose a pound. It's been over a year of this. Then when I get fed up and say "screw it" and eat what I want, I gain weight and set myself back. So basically, I can't lose weight.. But I can't enjoy food and not track without gaining. I'm miserable. Any suggestions?

I eat 1460 calories per day - only have a "cheat meal" maybe once a month (which sets me back too)
Workout 50-60 minutes 5 days a week: 20 min cardio / 30-40 minutes of circuit training (adding lifting about 6 weeks ago, still no changes)

Height: 5'4"
SW: 210
CW: 140
GW: 125

Replies

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Assuming you don't have a medical issue....you're possibly overestimating your burns and eating back too much, underestimating your food and eating too much or a combination of both. Are you weighing and measuring your food? It's super easy to use the wrong information from just eyeballing.

I would start by weighing your solid food and measuring your liquids, drink more water and eat back only half of your exercise calories.
  • nakita0129
    Options
    Assuming you don't have a medical issue....you're possibly overestimating your burns and eating back too much, underestimating your food and eating too much or a combination of both. Are you weighing and measuring your food? It's super easy to use the wrong information from just eyeballing.

I would start by weighing your solid food and measuring your liquids, drink more water and eat back only half of your exercise calories.

I don't eat back any workout calories. So those being estimated is fine. And I measure everything always. I learned those habits with the first round years ago. I don't know what else to do.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    A year of the same thing is a long time. Try something new. Intermittent fasting, low carb, new workouts, new calorie level, anything.

You're within healthy BMI now so it's tougher. Most of us underestimate our intake (even with weighing food) by at least 25%. If 1460 appears to be your maintenance level, you'll have to go lower to lose or do something else.
  • seekingbetterme
    seekingbetterme Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Try eating more calories! I went from 140 to 128 last year and I started at 1300 calories per day and didn't lose anything, but when I upped that to 1600 per day the weight came off very quickly! I also ate back my exercise calories.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Have you ruled out any medical conditions?
  • nakita0129
    Options
    Try eating more calories! I went from 140 to 128 last year and I started at 1300 calories per day and didn't lose anything, but when I upped that to 1600 per day the weight came off very quickly! I also ate back my exercise calories.

This is cmforting! Thanks!

I started out at 1300 as well (still with no luck) and 20 minutes of cardio a day only - it's hard to find motivation for more with no results!

Within the last 6 weeks I've upped it to 1460 calories and added the circuit training.
  • nakita0129
    Options
    Have you ruled out any medical conditions?

I have done blood work to check my thyroid and other levels. But it's been a few years, so I might try again.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    When you say that you can't let go and eat what you want without gaining, what exactly does that mean? How long do you give it before giving up and going back to 1460, and how much weight do you gain? If it's an immediate jump in the range of 1-4 pounds, that's your body replenishing your glycogen stores. It should level out fairly quickly and not impact your measurements much (if at all). 1460 is really low, and you should be able to maintain at a much higher intake.

Also, the circuit training is new within the last 6 weeks, right? Any change in your exercise routine can cause water retention, so that could be masking any weight loss.
  • nakita0129
    Options
    When you say that you can't let go and eat what you want without gaining, what exactly does that mean? How long do you give it before giving up and going back to 1460, and how much weight do you gain? If it's an immediate jump in the range of 1-4 pounds, that's your body replenishing your glycogen stores. It should level out fairly quickly and not impact your measurements much (if at all). 1460 is really low, and you should be able to maintain at a much higher intake.

Also, the circuit training is new within the last 6 weeks, right? Any change in your exercise routine can cause water retention, so that could be masking any weight loss.
    I usually go back to tracking after about 3 days... The gain is between 3-5 pounds each time, just depending.. And I'm trying to be patient with the new workout, but like I said before, no results create a lack of motivation :( Thanks for the input!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

I usually go back to tracking after about 3 days... The gain is between 3-5 pounds each time, just depending.. And I'm trying to be patient with the new workout, but like I said before, no results create a lack of motivation :( Thanks for the input!
    Unless you ate 10500-17500 extra calories within those three days, it's not fat. You're not actually gaining weight -- it's glycogen. This post explains it very well: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/993576-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut?page=1
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

This seems impossible from a math and biology standpoint. How could eating more make weight come off very quickly?