Butternut Squash recipes?

Options
I have 2 nice sized butternut squash that I picked from the garden. I'm not real sure what to do with them. I need your BEST butternut squash recipes! Thank you!

Replies

• I like to roast butternut squash with red onion. Last night I sliced the onion into small rings and tossed them with the cubed butternut squash with some coconut oil and a seasoned salt (any seasoning you like will work). Then I roasted them in the oven at 375 for about 35 minutes (covered for the first 20 minutes).
  • NoMoreYoYos
    NoMoreYoYos Posts: 17 Member
    Options
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    We love this.

Cooked squash
    Minced onion salt and pepper
    Small container sour cream

Mix all together and bake till light brown...350 degrees
  • Organicgasm
    Organicgasm Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Civilized Caveman Bacon Beef Butternut Squash. Google it. It's a family favorite.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    BNS soup.

Take one squash, and cut into 2 inch sized cubes. Take 3 red delicious apples and cut them up (or four depending on the size of the squash and the apples.) Take a red onion or a spanish sweet onion and caramelize it first in the pan. Put the whole mess into a pot and fill with half water and half broth (chicken, beef, veg, your choice) until it just covers the stuff. Boil until it's all soft. Hopefully most of the water has been consumed. I don't mind the extra water but some people do.

I would add a seasoning packet, maybe one with tomato in it, and sometimes a little cinnamon and nutmeg. After it's all soft, put into blender and blend it up until creamy.

enjoy. Oh and add salt and pepper and whatever to your taste.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My husband and I love whipped squashes..... Just halve and roast, scoop out the flesh and whip it with a little chicken or vegetable broth. Then put in an oven safe dish, sprinkle a bit of parmesan on top and bake at 350 until the cheese browns a bit. You can add whatever seasoning your heart desires.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    We have a dozen butternuts stored or still growing this year.

It makes a good dessert if you just cut it half, sprinkle with brown sugar and cinammon and bake until soft.

Butternut squash soup is very delicious and easy to make. There are many good recipes out there, but my favorite is roasted garlic and butternut. Just peel, seed and cut the squash into chunks, spread on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and fresh thyme. Take a clove of garlic and slice off the top (none root side), add a little olive oil and wrap in foil. Put it on the sheet with the squash and roast everything in a hot (400 F) oven until the squash is tender. Put the squash in a pan with some stock, squeeze the roasted garlic into the pan, add salt and pepper to taste, and bring to boil. Allow to simmer for a few minutes, then blend it all until smooth. Serve with a little fresh salsa or a dollup of sour cream.

It's also very good roasted with red meat. I also add it my venison stew.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    We have a dozen butternuts stored or still growing this year.

It makes a good dessert if you just cut it half, sprinkle with brown sugar and cinammon and bake until soft.

Butternut squash soup is very delicious and easy to make. There are many good recipes out there, but my favorite is roasted garlic and butternut. Just peel, seed and cut the squash into chunks, spread on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and fresh thyme. Take a clove of garlic and slice off the top (none root side), add a little olive oil and wrap in foil. Put it on the sheet with the squash and roast everything in a hot (400 F) oven until the squash is tender. Put the squash in a pan with some stock, squeeze the roasted garlic into the pan, add salt and pepper to taste, and bring to boil. Allow to simmer for a few minutes, then blend it all until smooth. Serve with a little fresh salsa or a dollup of sour cream.

It's also very good roasted with red meat. I also add it my venison stew.

NIIIICE!
  • mrsmcf
    mrsmcf Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like to just cut it in half, bake it in the oven and when it comes out sprinkle it with season salt. YELM!!!!!!!!
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    I peel, diced and steam em till almost mushy and add to steel cut oatmeal, along with dried cranberries, pepitas (pumpkin seeds), some brown sugar and/or grade A Maple Syrup and a little Cinnamon or Pumpkin Pie Spice.

Or I add it to Cornbread Stuffing.

Or with wild rice.

Or I make risotto with it.

Gah! I LOVE Butternut Squash!
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options

This is HAPPENING! ASAP! Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • NoMoreYoYos
    NoMoreYoYos Posts: 17 Member
    Options

You're welcome. You wouldn't think the combo goes, but it is amazing!
  • kslade81
    Options
    I just peel and cubed, then toss with Olive Oil, salt and pepper and roast at 400 until they're the texture I want them, usually about 30-40 minutes.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I just peel and cubed, then toss with Olive Oil, salt and pepper and roast at 400 until they're the texture I want them, usually about 30-40 minutes.

^^This is my fave too. Then I toss with a bit of pasta, a few nuts (pine nuts are good, but anything works), parmesan and a big handful of cooked or canned beans. Wonderful!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Cube, toss in olive oil and lots of cumin powder, roast till edges slightly caramelised. Serve with risotto Milanese, http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/italian/cheats-risotto-milanese.html Delia has the easiest risotto recipe and it comes out perfect every time.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I love this soup:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Butternut-Squash-Soup/
    I use a bit less Philadelphia and also I like my soups a lot thinner, so much more chicken bouillon. Instead of some of the cheese, I like to use heavy whipping cream for a dot on the i on the palate.

And how to cut a butternut squash, Good Housekeeping:
    http://youtu.be/Kbecyb7TgDE
    It's really easy, no grilling needed. The smaller the cut pieces, the quicker they will soften during cooking, too.
  • eaherbst
    eaherbst Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    YUM
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Cooked butternut squash is great in many recipes, especially as a pasta sauce. Right now I have two such sauces in the freezer. One is a butternut squash-pecorino cheese sauce, the other is a roasted red pepper-butternut pasta sauce.

There are lots of recipes for such sauces on the web. Just google "butternut sauce recipe"

To cook the butternut squashes in the easiest way possible, just wrap each one in foil and set it on a pan or cookie sheet to catch any leaks. Bake at 350 to 400 until you can easily poke a fork into the squash. Allow to cool in the foil and it will be a cinch to scoop it out of the peel.

I have a blog post about this with pictures here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/HeidiCooksSupper/view/bake-ahead-veggies-you-may-as-well-fill-the-oven-694423
  • NicoleMHughes
    Options
    Same old chicken noodle soup, but add butternut squash chunks and avocado... HEAVEN!
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options

You're welcome. You wouldn't think the combo goes, but it is amazing!

Made them! SUPER delicious! The older kids and hubby asked for seconds. :laugh: :flowerforyou: :love: :drinker: