Eggs

Options
Hi everyone just a question on eggs. I love them and find I have been eating them 5 days a week. Is it his ok to do as someone told me I should only eat them 2 or 3 times for good health. I am healthy no problems so I thought I would be ok to eat so many a week

Replies

• liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason not to eat eggs everyday if you wish. I have them for breakfast every single day. They' a great source of protein and thus quite filling. Enjoy!
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I average 4-6 eggs per day! Love em! They are one of the most complete and accessible sources of protein for the human body. Not to mention they're extremely versatile and delicious.

Enjoy em!
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I like variety and I add other sources of proteins to keep it interesting.

It's protein after all and one needs protein almost everyday in their diet. As long as your kidneys are able to flush out excess creatine/protein I don't think your doc should have any problem.

I would like to add one thing though one poster said they eat average 4 - 6 eggs a day. Kindly take into consideration what their age is, their goal and the purpose they are consuming in their everyday diet.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    eggs is is up there with coffee as a staple.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    When someone tells me something like this, I always ask why. And if they just say something arbitrary like "it's bad for your health", I don't take it too seriously. Eggs used to be evil because we thought high blood cholesterol came from food cholesterol. Now we know that's not true and eggs are cool again.

I eat eggs almost every day and love them!
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I would ask them to cite their sources. As long as they fit into your daily goal you are fine.

Coincidentally, I am having scrambled eggs for dinner tonight!
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone just a question on eggs. I love them and find I have been eating them 5 days a week. Is it his ok to do as someone told me I should only eat them 2 or 3 times for good health. I am healthy no problems so I thought I would be ok to eat so many a week
    I eat eggs everyday I have 6 hens. I have to eat them imagine i get 3 dozen a week. BUt hens in factorys is really sad try to buy them locally or at least uncaged.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have 1-2 eggs every single day for breakfast, or Late Night. I find that if I get called out in the middle of the night (I'm a paramedic) that I can't get back to sleep after without eating something...a fried egg over a piece of toast is PERFECT. Love my eggs!!!!!
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    The ONLY bad thing I've heard is that the egg yolk has higher cholesterol which is why, if you eat eggs every day, it's a good idea to swap a couple days with just eating egg whites.

Other than that, I love eggs and have them about 4-5 days a week for breakfast with cooked tomatoes :)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Some doctors used to believe (and some still do) that the dietary cholesterol in eggs is bad for those with high cholesterol.
    For some with certain conditions like familial hypercholesterolemia it probably is.
    Many countries have dropped the warning for dietary cholesterol intake like the UK and Canada but the US hasn't.
    I've read that some people are susceptible to dietary cholesterol raising their blood cholesterol and some aren't.
    That said, the majority of your needed cholesterol is made by your body, and some scientists are even starting to doubt the entire cholesterol theory. Inflammation is looking more like the culprit.
    Enjoy some eggs unless your doctor advises against it.
  • robert5891
    Options
    They are a great source of protein, fats, vitamins, and minerals! Nothing wrong with eating 2-3 every day!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,266 Member
    Options
    The ONLY bad thing I've heard is that the egg yolk has higher cholesterol which is why, if you eat eggs every day, it's a good idea to swap a couple days with just eating egg whites.

Other than that, I love eggs and have them about 4-5 days a week for breakfast with cooked tomatoes :)

For most people the cholesterol in foods has been shown to have no real impact on blood serum levels. There are other things that are causing the higher cholesterol with the top being genetics, weight, and inactivity.

Besides, just egg whites are sad.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options

http://chriskresser.com/the-diet-heart-myth-cholesterol-and-saturated-fat-are-not-the-enemy
  • kiwionamission
    kiwionamission Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I love eggs so I will continue with eating lots of them
  • kaikea
    kaikea Posts: 27 Member
    Options
  • ricer8
    ricer8 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like variety in my breakfasts, but i eat eggs about 2 times a week. I love a fried egg wrapped in a piece of lefsa. The other day on the Today show they had a weight loss segment --- low carb vs low fat (low carb was more successful) and they said people who eat eggs for breakfast seem to do better with weight loss. So, enjoy your eggs!
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I eat a minimum of 3 per day
  • ECfromSJ
    ECfromSJ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/healthy_aging/new_reasons_to_love_eggs

Egg yolks are also a good source of nutrients that may prevent macular degeneration, an age-related cause of blindness. My grandmother lived to 98 but was blind from this for about the last 20 years of her life. I prefer to take the risk of higher cholesterol leading to a slightly shorter life, and hopefully keeping my sight to the very end. I'm eating an egg every day at the moment, not just because of this, but they really help me keep my protein intake up for very few calories. I say, enjoy them!

Erica in NJ
  • kaikea
    kaikea Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/healthy_aging/new_reasons_to_love_eggs

Egg yolks are also a good source of nutrients that may prevent macular degeneration, an age-related cause of blindness. My grandmother lived to 98 but was blind from this for about the last 20 years of her life. I prefer to take the risk of higher cholesterol leading to a slightly shorter life, and hopefully keeping my sight to the very end. I'm eating an egg every day at the moment, not just because of this, but they really help me keep my protein intake up for very few calories. I say, enjoy them!

Erica in NJ

You can avoid the cholesterol in eggs if you like and eat these fruits and vegetables to get zeaxanthin plus a host of other nutrients here:

https://www.macular.org/zeaxanthin
  • kiwionamission
    kiwionamission Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone