Fruit Juices

Options
What is your favorite fruit juice, and is even the ones with sugar in it healthy?

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I don't drink any because they provide close to nil satiety and I prefer to chew my calories.

Yes, ones with sugar in them are still going to provide nutrients. Sugar doesn't contain any nutrients so unless the juice you have is 100% sugar then there is still some nutritional benefit.
  • joannenicole451
    joannenicole451 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't drink any juice anymore. There are so many calories in a glass of juice - like chrisdavey said, I'd much rather eat than have a glass of juice. The only time I drink juice is when I'm having a cheat/treat and then I mix fresh grapefruit juice with vodka. YUM.

I would never drink juice with added sugar.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Check out Minute Maid.
    Light Lemonade has 15 cal/serving.
    Orange juice by Tropicana (Trop 50) and Minute Maid has 50/serving.
    Welch's Light has 45/serving.
    Minute Maid also has a Passion Fruit-Mango at 15/serving.
    I can tell absolutely no difference in the lo-cal versions and the regular.
  • jpjd123
    Options
    I am diabetic, and fruit juices are like poison to me. My blood sugar levels go into the stratosphere after I have drunken fruit juices - so I just avoid them.

The reality is that fruit juices are nothing but 'flavoured' sugar water.
  • joannenicole451
    Options
    I'd stay away from "Low Calorie" Juices. Instead of using sugar to sweeten them, they use aspartame. That stuff is straight up poison. Yeah, it's low calorie, but that doesn't make it healthy by any means. It's like eating Cool Whip instead of whipped cream, because it's lower in calories...well yeah...but it's made of hydrogenated vegetable oil. Again, just because it has less calories, doesn't mean it's healthy.

If you want to have juice, just have a small glass of REAL juice. No sugar added, no artificial flavors or sweeteners.
  • science24
    science24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    whhaaattt? really? wow i thought cool whip and whipped cream was the same thing lol I am glad you said this. probably because they sound so similiar
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    http://cdnutritionandfitness.com/aspartame-is-the-devil/
    In summary, if you are looking to limit your total calorie intake (or carbohydrates) then switching to an artificially sweetened beverage may be an option for you provided you do not have Phenylketonuria or get any adverse reactions from the consumption of aspartame.
  • joannenicole451
    Options
    Start reading labels. Ingredients are more important than calories in my opinion. I used to buy all the convenience, pre-packaged, processed foods out there. I weighed 230 lbs when I was eating like that. I weigh 190 now, and I attribute that to eating REAL food. When I grocery shop, I buy ingredients not meals. I buy whole, fresh produce. I buy raw meat. I buy beans and rice and flour and yes, even sugar. I cook my meals from scratch so that I know exactly what's going into my body. When I look at prepared foods, and something simple has 32 ingredients, half of which I can't pronounce and have no idea what they are...I know that doesn't belong in my body! Yes, it takes more time. It takes more planning. But my health, and the health of my family is important and worth the time it takes to prepare nutritious food. You and your health are important. Educate yourself, and take care of yourself!
  • joannenicole451
    Options
    And yes, I've still got some weight to lose - I need to lose about 30 more lbs and that's why I'm here now. But I've lost 40 lbs over the course of about 2 years, without even dieting, just by switching from heavily processed, chemical food, to real food made from real ingredients.
  • berkayaliulker
    Options
    i try to keep fruit juices to a minimum :)
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have instituted an absolute ban on fruit juices. The only fluids I consume are water, coffee, and milk occasionally.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I don't drink juice these days, my calories are way too precious and if I'm going to drink them I'll save them for wine. :)

However, when I feel like indulging, I love a small glass of orange juice with a savoury breakfast, such as a hash or egg sandwich. Heaven!
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I'd stay away from "Low Calorie" Juices. Instead of using sugar to sweeten them, they use aspartame. That stuff is straight up poison.
    I'm no chemist, so something could be hiding, but here's what the label says on the OJ:
    Filtered water, not from concentrate pasteurized orange juice, modified food starch, citric acid, malic acid, natural flavors, and Reb A (purified stevia extract).
    The front label says 50% less sugar & calories than orange juice NO ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS
    I see no mention of aspartame.
  • Anxieux
    Anxieux Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Aspartame isn't even bad for you though.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Better to eat than drink your calories unless it's alcohol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    When I look at prepared foods, and something simple has 32 ingredients, half of which I can't pronounce and have no idea what they are...I know that doesn't belong in my body!
    You'd be hard pressed to find many people who can pronounce all the chemicals in an apple:

Vitamin A, B1, B2, and B6, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, Folic acid, Vitamin C and Vitamin E, Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Pottassium, Selenium, Sodium, and Zinc, Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine. Trace amounts of Boron and Cobalt are found in apples.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    I loves me some pineapple juice!!!

IDEA Fitness member
  • fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    When I look at prepared foods, and something simple has 32 ingredients, half of which I can't pronounce and have no idea what they are...I know that doesn't belong in my body!
    You'd be hard pressed to find many people who can pronounce all the chemicals in an apple:

Vitamin A, B1, B2, and B6, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, Folic acid, Vitamin C and Vitamin E, Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Pottassium, Selenium, Sodium, and Zinc, Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine. Trace amounts of Boron and Cobalt are found in apples.

IDEA Fitness member

And the pips contain amygdalin, which is a compound of cyanide and sugar. Damn chemicals...
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    2 oz. of Cranberry 100% juice + 12 oz. of seltzer = YUMMO! I would rather have it than soda. I am so used to it, that straight up juice is too sweet for me now.