What life skills are you teaching your kids?

CJisinShape
CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
Or, if you don't have any, what life skills do you think are important for kids to learn?

Replies

• Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    My kids are young, but basic stuff everyone should know. How to use the washing machine, how to cook meals ( eventually) and other necessities. Too many parents send their kids off to college not knowing those very basic skills.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Cooking, laundry, BUDGETING!!, critical thinking, the ability to say "no", bargain hunting, how to change a tyre, basic self sufficiency...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Measure liquids, weigh solids, lift heavy, don't start out too fast
  • morethenjustmum
    morethenjustmum Posts: 170 Member
    Mine are pretty young but the first and most important thing I teach them is a to do stuff for themselves.
    Getting dressed, feeding themselves , getting things out of the fridge. It sounds simply but I have too many friends with 8 year olds that are having their homework done for them and getting help putting on pants and wiping their butts.
    I am there to help if they need it but I am teaching them not to need it. If that makes sense.
    As they get older , cooking cleaning , laundry, all the stuff you need to do on your own as an adult they will have learnt before they are teenagers.
  • Marbella29660
    Marbella29660 Posts: 71 Member
    Honesty....
  • VCopple
    VCopple Posts: 56 Member
    The most important for me right now is to teach him how to eat healthy. My mom never cooked when I was growing up, so we had a ton of instant meals and fast food. She also eats when she is depressed or stressed out. She can eat a whole box of cookies in 2 days. Since my son just turned 2, I am trying to introduce him to healthy food, cook homemade meals, eat leftovers, and teach him that he does not need dessert every day. I don't want my son to have issues with food when he gets older like I did. I also don't want him thinking that he can barely eat lunch and then get a treat later in the afternoon.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    How to cook Doing laundry Making a budget and sticking to it...Getting ready to send both my kids to college in the next 2 years. Time and money managment
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    to be self-sufficient. They can do laundry and fix and easy meal and clean their rooms. They are older and not little but they know how to take care of themselves
  • I think the most important one I was taught by my mom was keeping positive and having a hard work effort. It sounds stupid but I've been at my job for less then two months and I've been promoted twice already and I think these skills are major reasons why.
  • emkayelle91
    emkayelle91 Posts: 846 Member
    My sons are still young but this is my list of what I absolutely will teach them: How to cook, clean, do laundry, budget money, what to do in emergency situations, how to change a tire, how to speak/write proper English and Spanish, and most importantly I will teach them the importance of honesty and keeping their word.
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    The value of spending your own money.
  • QAPmom
    QAPmom Posts: 458 Member
    How to treat people and to understand that words and actions hurt. That everyone has feelings. That bedtimes are around the same time everdayy, to see the positive in something everyday.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Honesty....

^^ That.

As well as empathy. Hopefully also confidence and humility. And that hard work pays off in the end.

My kids have been making their own breakfasts since they could pull a small step up to the bench and pour a small container of milk safely onto their cereal. My 7yo easily makes toast, baked beans and even microwaves bacon lol The 11yo makes simple dinners occasionally and bakes with very little help from me (apart from the oven part - she's too short to get the trays out, she has my genes :wink: )

They vacuum, clean, look after the cat, take the bin out, make their beds. And they are expected to talk to and treat everyone respectfully.
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Creative problem-solving and that kindness matters but don't take any crap.
  • SugarBabyGirl
    SugarBabyGirl Posts: 7,026 Member
    empathy
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Honesty....

^ This and I would add Compassion and Intergrity !
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    How to play guitar......because chicks dig a guy who can play guitar.......ask his mom.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    empathy

Most definitly .
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Empathy is largely a natural human emotion. I wouldn't spend a lot of time training it, unless they are sociopathic in which case you're sunk
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Empathy, compassion, self worth, loyalty, truthfulness...

I can go on and on. All I can do is guide them.