Has anyone else STOPPED running?

Options

Replies

• knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to learn how to knit just because I want to make a Death Star pillow. It's a lot of time and effort to put into something you don't really like.
    I do commissions.

Just kidding, I don't.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm an on/off runner that at the moment is mostly off. Ran for 10 years thru college. Then quit & took a break. Started off&on in 2008 & ran significantly thru 2012 where I've been backing down to my current level. I just look at it as if I'm in the mood to run, I run. If not oh well.
  • AmyOwl73
    AmyOwl73 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    As for running in bad weather, I don't understand people that won't run in the rain.

I ran my first half marathon in the rain :) It was amazingly refreshing.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    before I got a GPS watch, I used to keep track of laps on a track by running each lane once and moving up. after lane 8, I go back to 1.
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    As for running in bad weather, I don't understand people that won't run in the rain.

I ran my first half marathon in the rain :) It was amazingly refreshing.

If I didn't run in the rain I wouldn't be able to run outside for the majority of the year.. (Seattle).. I was forced to stop running after winding up in a cast (broken foot from over training for a half marathon and doing Insanity constantly). Running on a treadmill is not for me unless I'm trying to work on specific intervals or something. I prefer to run outdoors and I was pretty anxious to get back to running after breaking my foot.

If you don't enjoy running then find something else!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Once I learned you burn the same amount of calories walking I stopped jogging. If you run 2 miles or walk 2 miles it works out to the same calories. It just takes a little longer. Don't risk injury.

Running burns roughly twice as many net calories per mile as walking due to different biomechanics used between the activities.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    <<<Not a runner...

Not sure why so many people think that to be fit you have to run...running is not necessary to being fit. Personally, I think running is very hard on the joints and hard on the body in general...beyond that, running just plain sucks...but my wife loves it...so there you go.

same for me.

I'll do it occasionally but I prefer to do jump rope- stairmaster- HIIT or even flat out sprints.

I'll go for a longer run occasionally- I enjoy the mental aspect of a long run- but I wouldn't any longer consider myself a runner- I'm a power lifter and a dancer. Running is something I do when it hits me- not because it's part of my training program.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,655 Member
    Options
    I had to replace running with low impact cardio after a lot of repeated injuries. Once I got my mileage up to 45 miles a week I was injured constantly. It was so demoralizing that I just gave up.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Does it count if I never started? Because running sucks?
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Never started. Never will.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I ran at the beginning of the summer. Honestly, if I didn't have to take my kids, I could probably enjoy it. But I never went alone. My progress was hampered by having to push a stroller, or stop every 1/10 of a mile to deal with my niece who wanted to come with me, but changed her mind as soon as warm up was over. It also took a lot of time from my household chores and time with my husband. So I stopped.

Maybe one day when my kids won't be under foot, I will try it again. I picture it as just me, my earbuds, and the music...cruising along with nothing to slow me down. Maybe. Or maybe not.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    As for running in bad weather, I don't understand people that won't run in the rain. I'm wet and sweaty during my run anyway, so why would I care if I got rained on?

Do you wear your glasses when you run in the rain? I don't have contacts and I can't see a darn thing when I run in my glasses in the rain. I need wipers! :laugh:

Wipers would be nice! I wear glasses and run in the rain. I keep a towel in the car for after the run to wipe my glasses off. If it's a big enough downpour, I do wear a hooded windbreaker to keep some of the water off my glasses. Ah, the adventures of life with glasses.

OP: If you don't enjoy running, don't run. Sounds like you have plenty of other activities to keep your fitness up. If you ever get the urge, I recommend running outside. I couldn't enjoy running on a track at a gym (or treadmill). I only enjoy it outside, especially on trails.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Your exercise is going to be such a big portion of your life, it should be something that you enjoy! Sometimes it takes a sufficient level of proficiency and fitness to know if you'll enjoy something, but you've given running a good shot (although you might like trail running). Me, I love dance so I like dance class, aerobics, etc. I also enjoy weight training and pilates. So far I haven't liked yoga. I hate running :)
  • dark_angel1554
    dark_angel1554 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I find that I experience some burn-out from running. I usually switch up my workout routine and do some other cardio (and weightlifting) excercises for a while.
    After a couple of weeks I find I want to start running again, so I go right back to it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    <<<Not a runner...

Not sure why so many people think that to be fit you have to run...running is not necessary to being fit. Personally, I think running is very hard on the joints and hard on the body in general...beyond that, running just plain sucks...but my wife loves it...so there you go.

^Agreed! I find it irritating :grumble: that so many people seem to think that "running" is the only way to determine fitness or to just be fit. You could be a fast swimmer or cyclist, lift really heavy things, or be competitive in a few other sports but if you can't run x amount of miles in x amount of time then you aren't "fit" or "healthy"

i do not like running by my house, i will not like running with a mouse. some people just don't enjoy running. if the OP has found other ways to get fit that she actually enjoys, she's waaaaay ahead of the game. way too many people trudge along doing something they hate just to reach a certain "burn".

if you like to run, go run like the wind. if you'd rather do something else, go find your joy.

^QFT
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Awesome! More miles for me! :happy:
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Awesome! More miles for me! :happy:

I'm not sure that's how it works...

But yay nonetheless.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yup... I tried to like it a few times. It hurts my knees and I am too cheap to be paying $150 for some custom fit running shoes when I don't even like running in the first place.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I never started. I really really badly sprained my ankle as a teenager. I was STUPID and didnt listen to the doctor and use my crutches. They were not for chasing your brother with pretending to wack him with it. UGH. Im dumb I know. Since then my ankle was very weak. I was always re spraining it, twisting it etc. If I run for more than 2 mins it swells up and turns black and blue. I can swim, walk on the treadmill, bike or cross trainer but thats it as far as cardio goes. I also cannot do any sort of jumping jacks. I mostly do strength training with a little low impact cardio when I can. Its just not happening for me like ever. Im ok with that, It is what it is.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I can't run any more -- permanent knee injury. I miss it so very much.