Fat Girl problem #34

Options
Soooo...I've had some pretty bad skin irritation in my...uh, hem...some of it is due to chafing, some of it I'm not sure but I'm willing to bet it's weight/fat roll related. Does anyone else have this issue and if so, what do you do about it?

Replies

• Reader56
    Options
    Blow dry thoroughly and apply Gold Bond Baby Powder. It's gentle and doesn't have the medicated feeling that the original has. Hankies come in handy too. Some people swear by moisture-wicking undergarments. Natural fibers are nice but don't always dry out quickly, though they are my favorite. You're not alone in this.
  • KCMission
    KCMission Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    its called contact dermatitis and you're right - it's skin on skin chaffing. Keep it dry, you can use a medicated powder like the poster above states, but be careful - I couldn't, it made it worse, most likely the additives. A baby powder with minimal scents, additives etc. is also good. you find chemical-free powders at holistic stores, etc. But keeping it dry is the most important part.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    yes!! I agree with the blow dry/powder. If it gets very bad, you can get a cream from you doctor that clears it up in about a day. I have the same issue, especially under my lady lumps and my lower stomach :embarassed:
  • pichikeen
    pichikeen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Also 100% cotton underpants. It really helps.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Just wear biker shorts under your work out clothes and bath (and dry) very well as often as you can, especially after a workout.

When the weight comes off this problem will go away.
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I had that during the summer when I was at my fattest. It was caused by sweating apparently. I used over the counter diaper rash cream for a couple of months and it went away. I have not had it since!!!
  • jmurray90
    jmurray90 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    girl. baby powder, baby powder, baby powder. I can not stress enough how much it helps.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Also, if you have current irritation, Desitin cream does a really nice job of clearing it up quickly. There's a reason we use it on those little bums for diaper rash!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    There are all sorts of places soar spots can happen.

Under my bra I used to place a cotton hanky, sometimes under my tummy roll. While nursing a Scottish lady told me, for bed soars, to cover your palm with moist soap, the real thing not substitutes, and wipe a film over the tender area and this puts a temporary skin over the area. It works and it helps.

Sometimes a very thin layer of talk over the area can help but you must be very dry otherwise it will clump and make things worse.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Body Glide!

I was way too excited when I walked 10+ miles on vacation last weekend in HOT weather, and had NO chafing. Seriously, this stuff is awesome.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I'm with the body glide :) and under garments to stop the friction :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Um... without trying to sound gross or like I'm trying to put on the scare... it could also be a standard yeast infection (or maybe a bacterial infection). They can cause irritation on only the external parts of you (but it would really be on your "uh hem" not your thighs). If you keep yourself clean (using unscented soap) and dry down there and it doesn't get better in a few days, I'd recommend seeing a doctor (because bacterial infections if left long enough may cause infertility). Keep an eye out for other signs too...

Eg, have you been on antibiotics lately, or your TOM (pads and things don't breath well). Do you have any other symptoms? I'll let you look them up since it'd be weird listing anything about that on a forum.
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    Baby powder. I was introduced to a thai version baby powder and they are to die for. Because thailand is super humid when i went there, my bf told me to buy snake brand prickley heat baby powder. After you put it on, it has a nice tingly cooling sensation. Stronger than the gold bond (I actually don't feel anything when I use that).

I use it everywhere, arm, neck, leg, boobs, etc.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Lard actually works wonders for rubbing raw as well.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    apply coconut oil thoroughly and rub in well and let "dry" for 5 minutes the apply baby powder or corn starch, let it absorb and blow or fan away the extra. Works good. I'm SO thankful I don't get this anymore. I used to get a rash or rubbing raw between my lady bits and my thighs that smelled so bad :noway: :blushing: :grumble: but I just realized I haven't had it in awhile so I assume that's due to weight loss... (sure as hell doesn't look any different though :sick: )
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I agree with Body Glide. I also use Anti-Monkey Butt Powder under my bra for running and I've used it in other areas with no problems.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Nothing like cornstarch.. Large Amish community and they swear by it.. Cheap too.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I used to have this happen ALL. The. Time. It was miserable, and summer was the WORST! Ugh! One thing I swear by, and I highly encourage you to invest in, if you aren't currently using, is Summer's Eve Feminine Wash. This isn't a regular bath/shower gel, it's a gel/wash specifically for *that* are ONLY. It's not going to cause yeast infections, UTI's, or irritations, but will keep you clean *and doesn't hurt when you have an irritation, either.*

When you're at home, as much as possible, try to let the area get as much fresh air to it as possible. Sleep without underwear, and pants- if you have gowns, that's the best thing to sleep in. The more time it can "air out" to speak, the quicker it will heal. Try to take your bath/shower in the evening, maybe after the children are in bed, when you're able to lay down yourself, and give the area time to get some fresh air without having to worry about getting up or taking care of other things.

When you're having to go out, or to work, try to wear cool or breathable clothes if this is an option. These are some great underwear that help prevent chafing:

http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/3pack-bloomers-by-Comfort-Choice.aspx?PfId=143262&DeptId=11763&ProductTypeId=1&ppos=8&Splt=0#.VBkiRvldUqg

Wearing these underwear with some Summer's Eve Powder (I know, I stand by these products, and for everyone else, no, I don't sell them, just used them for years.) should keep you nice and dry!
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Nothing like cornstarch.. Large Amish community and they swear by it.. Cheap too.

Oh yea. Nothing works as well as corn starch. I've tried baby powder and lard both, but corn starch wins hands down.