Atkins: Induction & Bacon

Options
How much bacon can you have on the induction phase of Adkins? I am finishing day 2 today- I kinda started Sunday but slipped up at a buddy's bbq and had a beer. I've been super strict about my diet the last 2 days- and I don't know if I am ketosis yet, but I thought I'd ask if it is possible to eat too much bacon and slow down/prevent weight loss? I am pretty sure the bacon is the reason my stomach hates me (I feel awful- but it could also be ketosis flu?)...but its just so yummy (I hadn't been able to eat bacon FOREVER on my old low cal regiment). Also if anyone has tips for a new Atkins person- I think my food is visible, and I know I could use advice (if it isn't let me know and I'll change my settings). Thanks! :)

Replies

• chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of bacon. My husband recently restarted low-carb, and this time he's doing it as high-fat, moderate protein, low carb. He feels much better than he has on low-carb in the past, and he isn't getting the stinky breath and deathlike body odor that comes from breaking down too much protein. Bacon is also high in sodium, which is remarkably helpful for drinking enough water during induction. It should help prevent some of the carb-flu headaches

It -is- possible to eat enough bacon that you don't lose weight (calories in vs calories out) but when you're acclimating to low carb, more fat seems better than not enough fat. Also, fat is remarkably satiating, so you usually eat less of it than you think you will.

Your diary isn't public, or I'd be able to comment on the amount of bacon you've been eating.
  • laurenjill
    laurenjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I noticed that your diary doesn't show fiber, which is important when counting carbs. Remember, if you're going low carb, you need to count NET carbs(total carbs minus fiber).One beer won't knock you out of ketosis, especially if it's a light beer. I'm not on a low carb diet, but I have researched atkins and the keto diet. Honestly, as long as you eat less calories than you consume, you'll lose weight.
  • montanem
    Options
    Ok, Thanks! It helps to hear it from someone who has some experience with someone else doing it- I was a kid when my parents did atkins and I remember eggs every day for breakfast (and hating it) but now that I'm older I can't remember what else they did so I have the book and am carving my own path out.

I didn't know that high fat, moderate protein helped with the breath/smell problem- I'll have to keep that in mind. I was already aiming in that direction because the Atkins book I have said something about too much protein holding up weight loss and even causing gain.

Hmm I tried to change it- at any rate I bought 2 packages on Sunday and I have half of one package left as of this evening and I didn't eat any of the bacon until Monday morning. I've been having 3-4 pieces with an egg or two at breakfast and then 2 pieces in the evening after dinner in place of what used to be my dark chocolate study snack.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If ketosis is the goal, it's important to remember that too much protein will prevent you from going into ketosis. Lots of fat, 70% or more, lots of low carb green and red leafy veggies. And a reasonable amount of protein. I aim for 7% carbs, 75% Fat, and 18% protein. For my 1900 calorie diet, that works out to 33 grams carbs, 158 grams fat, and 86 grams protein.

If you eat too much protein your body will convert excess protein into glucose (sugar), preventing ketosis.

Lots of good keto stuff here: http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/ketogenic-diet-plan.html
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yeah, now that I can see your diary - it's a completely reasonable amount of bacon. I'm not on low-carb, and a day with that amount of bacon would just mean that it was peak tomato season (Mmmm. Bacon and tomato lettuce wraps).

Do subtract out your fiber carbs - it'll let you eat more delicious vegetables, like some tomato and lettuce to go with your bacon!

The connection between bad breath and too much protein is that your body will preferentially break down dietary protein over body fat. Protein is broken down into glucose and amino acids so your body can use it for energy, and makes ammonia as a byproduct. If you have too much ammonia, your kidneys can't process it all out, and you'll start excreting it in your breath (and sweat). If you notice it happening - just replace a little of your protein with fat (add some avocado to your bacon and tomato lettuce wrap) and it should even out.
  • montanem
    Options
    Thanks for the percentages!!! I have really struggled with knowing how much protein to eat (the book just said moderate) so that helps a ton. I am pretty high there (33% today), so at least I'll know what to switch up for tomorrow. Thanks!
  • montanem
    Options
    @ Chouflour (I might have spelt your name wrong) Thanks! Bacon, tomato, lettuce wraps sound wonderful! I hadn't thought about adding avocado- but I have one, I'll have to eat some of that tomorrow. Thanks guys- this is all really great info!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    How much bacon can you have on the induction phase of Adkins? I am finishing day 2 today- I kinda started Sunday but slipped up at a buddy's bbq and had a beer. I've been super strict about my diet the last 2 days- and I don't know if I am ketosis yet, but I thought I'd ask if it is possible to eat too much bacon and slow down/prevent weight loss? I am pretty sure the bacon is the reason my stomach hates me (I feel awful- but it could also be ketosis flu?)...but its just so yummy (I hadn't been able to eat bacon FOREVER on my old low cal regiment). Also if anyone has tips for a new Atkins person- I think my food is visible, and I know I could use advice (if it isn't let me know and I'll change my settings). Thanks! :)

Why are you on a diet that is so well known for eliminating certain food groups while bulking up on another, that is 98 percent guaranteed to lose weight quickly! then gain it back! plus some twice as fast as you lost it. And all this while clogging up your arteries at the same time? Let me guess--the promise of fast weight loss without getting hungry- right? The man who wrote the original Atkins diet is dead from a heart attack.

Weight loss is simply calories in, versus calories out. No diet books, no magic pills, no Dr. Oz new potions, just eat less of these food groups and move more. IOW portion control.

Our bodies require protein, fat and carbs to function normally, if our bodies don't get them, they will turn what food we are eating into what it needs which is usually stored fat. Once you start eating the banned food group again these stored fat cells explode in new growth, making you bigger than ever.. We have been eating this food group for a couple of centuries now, and the reason this country has gotten fatter than ever, is because of these type diets that are designed ONLY to separate you from some cash in your wallet.
  • northbanu
    Options
    chouflour said
    ...Do subtract out your fiber carbs - it'll let you eat more delicious vegetables, like some tomato and lettuce to go with your bacon!

Yup. Good stuff there, chouflour. Be sure to subtract your fiber from your carb count, and get in good greens too. Full fat dressing can get your fat intake up without over shooting your protein.

Good luck!
  • northbanu
    Options

Why are you on a diet that is so well known for eliminating certain food groups while bulking up on another, that is 98 percent guaranteed to lose weight quickly! then gain it back! plus some twice as fast as you lost it. And all this while clogging up your arteries at the same time? Let me guess--the promise of weight loss without getting hungry- right? The man who wrote the original Atkins diet is dead from a heart attack.

Weight loss is simply calories in, versus calories out. No diet books, no magic pills, no Dr. Oz new potions, just eat less of these food groups and move more. IOW portion control.

Our bodies require protein, fat and carbs to function normally, if our bodies don't get them, they will turn what food we are eating into what it needs which is usually stored fat. Once you start eating the banned food group again these stored fat cells explode in new growth, making you bigger than ever.. We have been eating this food group for a couple of centuries now, and the reason this country has gotten fatter than ever, is because of these type diets are designed ONLY to separate you from some cash in your wallet.

Not this again......

You are right in that weight loss is simply calories in vs calories out. The rest of your rant is hogwash.

I don't spend any more money on my low carb diet than you spend on yours. I shop at a normal grocery store and buy the normal crap everyone else does. I just don't buy bread, sugar, or fruit.

A high fat diet does not clog arteries.
    Once you start eating the banned food group again these stored fat cells explode in new growth, making you bigger thanever.
    Really? Where'd you hear that, Dr Oz?

We have been eating this food group for a couple of centuries now
    Yup. People can live healthy lives eating a variety of food, in a variety of diets, in a variety of ways.

Your's isn't the only way, and I would NEVER suggest that mine is either. It's just the way I'm doing it now.
  • montanem
    Options

Why are you on a diet that is so well known for eliminating certain food groups while bulking up on another, that is 98 percent guaranteed to lose weight quickly! then gain it back! plus some twice as fast as you lost it. And all this while clogging up your arteries at the same time? Let me guess--the promise of fast weight loss without getting hungry- right? The man who wrote the original Atkins diet is dead from a heart attack.

Our bodies require protein, fat and carbs to function normally, if our bodies don't get them, they will turn what food we are eating into what it needs which is usually stored fat. Once you start eating the banned food group again these stored fat cells explode in new growth, making you bigger than ever.. We have been eating this food group for a couple of centuries now, and the reason this country has gotten fatter than ever, is because of these type diets that are designed ONLY to separate you from some cash in your wallet.

I probably know a lot more about this than you do. As an anthropologist, a student who's studied what humans are designed to and not to eat I have a much more useful understanding of what our bodies are designed to eat than many nutritionists do. I typically do a moderate diet but if you check out my diary log for the last couple months you'll see that with a moderate diet, low calorie, and increased exercise nearly every day I didn't lose weight. This is being done after my doctor suggested I cut more carbs out due to my genetic background (I am Native American, a group of people who did not evolve with flour/wheat/barley). A low carb approach such as Atkins also isn't any more or less expensive than eating normal. I am not buying and diet materials- my dad had the book and I don't eat any of the "stuff" because as a grad student I can't afford it. At any rate before you decide to belittle someone's effort you should consider that not all people have the same evolutionary history as your ancestors, that even you eating "moderately" are probably deficient in several nutrients and have to take a multivitamin as a means to remain healthy on our industrialized and over processed foods (I don't eat a lot of carbs anyways, you shouldn't eat bread/pasta- its poison for everyone). I would also note that the only reason Americans think we need to eat bread/carbs is because we were always told to eat carbs by our culture- they start teaching you to eat carbs in elementary school touting it as the "most important, base of the pyramid group" the result of which is a nation of obese people...

At any rate good night all. Thank you those of you who gave me wonderful, constructive feedback on how much of what to eat and some ideas on foods, and encouragement that I wasn't eating too much bacon.