How much of the time are you hungry?

Options
I just lowered my calorie intake and have been feeling a bit hungrier than I have in a while and realized I haven't felt too much hunger in a while. It got me wondering-

1) how much of the day do you feel hungry?
2) how much of a deficit are you on?
3) how long have you been cutting calories?

Just curious!

Replies

• XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    Options
    I eat around 1500 a day. I net 1200 or less.
    If I am hungry I eat. The trick was finding lower calorie snacks. I like yogurt, string cheese, fiber brownies.
    I eat decent sized meals too. Calorie deficit is not supposed to be starving yourself.
    My bordom hunger go to is cucumbers. Pretty low calorie and yummy. And good for those times you cant get food off the brain.
  • findingmyw1ngs
    findingmyw1ngs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just lowered my calorie intake and have been feeling a bit hungrier than I have in a while and realized I haven't felt too much hunger in a while. It got me wondering-

Just curious!

1) I really don't get hungry if I'm eating consistently. If I start skipping meals then I'll get hungry by around dinner time though
    2) I'm not exactly sure how many calories I need daily to maintain (I think maybe 1600ish according to mfp), so if it's off 1600, currently it's about a 300-400 deficit a day
    3) I've been aware of calories for about 3-4 years and losing weight for about a year and a half, but I'm also not super consistent
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    1 - I only get hungry if I miss one of my planned meals and then only if I am not actively doing something.

2 - 1750 calorie a day deficit - 1/2 a pound a day

3 - 4 Months.
  • osmium3
    Options

Only when I am awake. I am either eating due to hunger, or I am ravenous thinking about eating. So, only while awake, and always while awake.

Today, not much: 400 KCals.. Other days up to 2,000 KCals. The days that follow a 2, 000 KCal deficit are not good.

Since early August of this year. I only have 6 lbs to go. That's probably a very good thing as if I had to continue on such a deficit there would be bloodshed.

Once I reach my target weight I am going to re-start isometric training. I haven't seriously lifted in almost a decade, so I have a whole series of goals to meet. I will maintain my aerobic activity, so I should be able to eat lots as I have always been an easy gainer in the gym.

I really don't know how people are able top stay in continual calorie deficits. I only eat for nourishment, and it has been tough. I have been better as of late, but at first I was cold and cranky. If I adored food this would have been oh so much more difficult.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I actually don't mind feeling a little hungry. It's not like I'm ravenous or skipping meals by any means. I'm just curious how I feel in comparison to how other people feel. For me, I feel hungry around 10:30 am, but it's tolerable until lunch (at which time I had a very healthy and satisfying meail). I am ok with feeling a bit hungry for a while. It confirms for me that what I was eating before was probably at or very close to maintenance. Just interested to learn about others' experiences of hunger.
  • chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    On an average day I am hungry around 2 hours of time total. I usually take care of hunger to stave it off, but when I am at work I don't have time for lunch, then I get home around 2pm and have a light snack. My bigger meal comes at 6pm. My deficit is 2640 daily, and I rarely eat all of that. I have been counting since June 26.
  • Ansin529
    Options
    I am experiencing the same thing right now... Matter a fact, I just posted a question with the same content...

I feel bloated and extremely full if I eat several small meals during the day and hungry if I eat three times per day...

I work out twice a day!!! When is it your metabolism working and when is it starving yourself lol...
  • becky4m
    becky4m Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat high calorie food (crap) I am hungry all day. If I focus on food that is high in protein and low in calories I am not hungry at all. I eat to fuel my body not out of craving or hunger.
  • glasshalffull713
    Options
    1 - I only get hungry if I miss one of my planned meals and then only if I am not actively doing something.

2 - 1750 calorie a day deficit - 1/2 a pound a day

3 - 4 Months.

Wow, congrats on the weight loss. That is amazing that you don't get hungry on such a huge deficit. I feel like a baby! LOL.
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    1) how much of the day do you feel hungry? I'm not frequently hungry. I get hungry about 3 times a day. Sometimes, I snack, but that's when I don't have the time to have a full meal or want to eat something before or after a workout. It wasn't at all like this for me 5 months ago. 5 months ago, I was almost always hungry. And believe me, I did not need the food!

2) how much of a deficit are you on? I eat 1100 - 1300 calories. Sometimes more, like around 1450 or so. Sometimes less. There are days when I am hungrier than other days.

*Though my calories are fairly low, I'm gaining strength on a consistent basis, so I'm not worried.

3) how long have you been cutting calories? As in, consciously cutting calories through counting them? Since early August of this year. For the 2 months prior, I was just choosing to eat less and smarter. I lost weight, so my calories were certainly cut.
  • glasshalffull713
    Options
    I find that if I eat high calorie food (crap) I am hungry all day. If I focus on food that is high in protein and low in calories I am not hungry at all.

Me too!!!
    I eat to fuel my body not out of craving or hunger.

Not there yet! I love eating and want to do it all the time.
  • glasshalffull713
    Options
    I am experiencing the same thing right now... Matter a fact, I just posted a question with the same content...

I feel bloated and extremely full if I eat several small meals during the day and hungry if I eat three times per day...

I work out twice a day!!! When is it your metabolism working and when is it starving yourself lol...

Yes that is exactly it! But I am realizing I can deal with the hunger. I think maybe sometimes I am afraid to feel hunger at all so I avoid it at all costs.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    1) how much of the day do you feel hungry? Some days, not at all, others, I never stop. Luckily, the days I am hungry are fewer than the others.

2) how much of a deficit are you on? I normally eat 1600-2000 cal/day, depending on if I work out that day or not. My goal is to lose 1.5lbs/wk, so my deficit is roughly 750 cal/day.

3) how long have you been cutting calories? Seriously tracking, for about 6 months, and it has taken that long to lose almost 20 lbs. So obviously, I don't stick to my limits every day. I actually purposely take breaks from dieting after losing a bit. If I am really hungry, I eat, and working out usually just makes me more hungry.
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Lowering your established calorie intake will tend to make you feel hungrier. It will probably take some time to adjust assuming it is within a health range. You can supplement small snacks or higher protein foods/higher fat foods, but you may experience some hunger for a while and will just have to find something to do to take your mind off it. If you previously have been eating enormous meals, your body will have to learn what your actual nutritional requirements are. There seems to be almost an obsession here with promoting the notion that if you experience a few minutes of discomfort, it is the end of the world.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Lol I think there's some confusion above as to what deficit means.

1) how much of the day do you feel hungry? Only time I'm ever hungry is when I get back from a two hour horse ride on a Saturday. I don't normally breakfast before hand nor have time for a BPC.

2) how much of a deficit are you on? roughly 500 cals a day, more on the weekends if I'm flat out.

3) how long have you been cutting calories? I've been actually vigilant for about 3 months this year, more in previous years. I try not to worry about calories. I've done so in the past, and it becomes very obsessive (spending all your time thinking about what you can eat, and when, and how long til your next meal, and how many calories is in that, and can I afford it? It's nuts). Rather, I aim for less than 20g of carbs, about 70g protein and 145g fat. The fat is why I'm never hungry. I lose about 3lbs a week.
  • skinnyD2308
    skinnyD2308 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    1) I'm hungry when I get up in the morning, and if I'm eating to plan typically don't get truly hungry again till just before bed. Sometimes if I'm late eating a planned afternoon snack, I get a hunger twinge but that usually just gets me to look at the clock and remember that I need to eat my snack. I find controlling my hunger by allowing myself to eat every 3-4 hours allows me to stay on plan and consistent. The days I go over calories are usually due to getting too hungry before eating or not getting enough protein earlier in the day.

2) my calorie deficit is modest and usually falls between 50-450 calories a day. I'm going for a lifestyle change and am willing to take my time with the weight loss. I figure if I can figure out how to reduce calories and stay satisfied while losing weight, I'm more likely to keep the weight off this time. I have no problem eating at my maintenance calories on days when I'm experiencing lots of hunger or have a special occasion.

3) I'm on a 108 day tracking streak and have lost 20 pounds so far. Very, very happy with this approach. My goal to to keep logging and see this 108 days turn into 365 days and beyond. If I can lose another 20-40 pounds by the time I hit 365 days, well that would just be awesome!
  • vforvanilla
    vforvanilla Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm set to eat 1200 a day, though I eat more if I'm more active/have logged exercise.

I'm very rarely actually hungry! I'm hungry when I wake up, a little hungry before lunch, and then I tend to get hungry around 5 again, so I'll have a snack.

But instead of real hunger, I have a desire to eat that lasts allll day. It's not like actual hunger, it's more like an.... emotional need. Like, having an eyelash almost in your eye, or a clothing tag rubbing against you weirdly-- this annoying feeling that you want to do something about. I always want to chew, and eat! I have this feeling pretty much all day, unless I'm really, really caught up in something.

So: real hunger? Minutes. Desire to eat? Pretty much 24/7 lol.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    1. About 30 mins after I wake up and right around 4pm. And if I have a hard workout or a long run, I can count on being ravenous the next day.
    2. 500 cals
    3. Since mid June 2014
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I'm set to eat 1200 a day, though I eat more if I'm more active/have logged exercise.

I'm very rarely actually hungry! I'm hungry when I wake up, a little hungry before lunch, and then I tend to get hungry around 5 again, so I'll have a snack.

But instead of real hunger, I have a desire to eat that lasts allll day. It's not like actual hunger, it's more like an.... emotional need. Like, having an eyelash almost in your eye, or a clothing tag rubbing against you weirdly-- this annoying feeling that you want to do something about. I always want to chew, and eat! I have this feeling pretty much all day, unless I'm really, really caught up in something.

So: real hunger? Minutes. Desire to eat? Pretty much 24/7 lol.

I feel this SO much. You put that in words perfectly. I really think I need to get out of the "habit" of eating. But I have trouble listening to my own hunger cues. If I get too hungry, I risk binging. I guess I'm still learning.