FitBit question? active minutes

Options
I have recently started using a FitBit flex. I think it's really cool and I am only just working it out. I want to know about active minutes. I walked my kids to school this morning which the round trip,was 50 mins and it was hard work up a steep hill. My FitBit says I only have done 3 very active minutes, and it did the same yesterday when I went to the gym and did a circuit for 36 mins.

when walking I am pushing a pram so possibly not picking up the movement?..

bit confused:s

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Yes, the pram is a problem for the Flex. Your wrist needs to move like you're walking. And a Fitbit doesn't have any way to detect resistance like hills or weights, so to get Active Minutes you have to be walking, running or maybe jumping a little fast or high. But you can be 'active' without meeting their criteria for Active Minutes. It's kind of an arbitrary thing and seems to be different for everyone.
  • maryseb63
    maryseb63 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you log your walk, it may give you the active minutes?
  • haleema93
    Options
    how do you log your walk? ^
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If you log your walk it won't give you active minutes but it will show as exercise instead. In the app on the dashboard, go to track exercise and enter the details.

I have a flex and personally I've never had any issues when pushing the pram, its always registered ok but I know other people do have issues.
  • livhig82
    livhig82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok I have logged my walks that's why they aren't showing as active minutes ahhh! Thanks guys x
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I think "active minutes" is calculated on a specific amount of calories burned during a time frame. I use the fitbit one and have to do extensive exercise to get "active minutes"
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Be careful with paying attention to calories if you put it on your ankle. I did a test with mine once and it estimate three times as high a burn on my ankle, because my ankle's motion and impact is much, much higher than my wrist's in walking. If all you care about it steps count, it doesn't matter.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    My fitbit one gave me 6 minutes very active after a 12 hour shift in A&E pushing trollies etc the other day. Its kinda arbitary, I dont look at it much Im more about steps and distance
  • PhoenixJo22
    PhoenixJo22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I have mine on my ankle (jut tucked into my sock) since mine wasn't registering steps when walking with the pram. It logs steps the same way as well as my heart rate (I have the Charge HR) so the active minutes come up given that it can register the calories burned.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The last I knew, active minutes is based on the number of steps per minute. Check out thefgitbit site and you prob can find the explanation.