A question about HIIT

Options
I have been using the stair-climbing machine for cardio, because it's the only machine I can stand that also makes me work very hard (hard to explain - just a combination of getting very sweaty and short of breath, while feeling like my body is good at it.) Anyway, I have been trying to do 20 minutes of moderate-to-vigorous cardio four days a week, and I've been breaking it up into two ten-minute sessions. (one before weights and one after or even later in the day.)

I try to increase the intensity a bit each day by keeping track of how many steps I complete in 10 minutes and beating my record each time. I know I'm working to a high level because I sweat and gasp for breath - I wouldn't be able to hold a conversation - even short sentences - while doing it.

But I want to start doing HIIT because I don't want to put as much time in each week. I want to spend more time on the weights and I don't want to be tired before I even start. So, I figured I'd rather do one 10-minute session of HIIT after my weights, three or four times a week.

Here's my issue: I tried it today for my second session (after doing upper body weights.) I would do 20 seconds of very fast climbing (running, in fact) and then slow way down to the easiest level for 90 seconds or 2 minutes. I was able to repeat this five times in 10 minutes. Well, I completed fewer steps over the course of 10 minutes than when I did a more even workout (still using intervals, but not High Intense/Running to the point of barely being able to stand it for 20 seconds.) In other words, I seem to have put out less energy over the 10 minutes.

Does this mean that I wasn't really doing it right? Should I try to run even faster? Not slow down quite so much in between intervals? Or is this an entirely different thing and the intense bursts are what matter even if I do fewer steps over the same time period.

I do hope my question makes sense.

Replies

• DGR70
    DGR70 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Your question makes perfect sense, and this is one of those situations where common sense can steer you wrong. What isn't readily apparent, but science can confirm, is that HIIT keeps on working for fat loss for a longer time AFTER you stop working when compare to steady state cardio.

This are much better explanations by Alwyn Cosgrove:

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_hierarchy_of_fat_loss

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/alwyn8.htm
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Yes, what DGR70 said. Also, this is a DIFFERENT workout than what you were doing previously, so don't try to compare numbers exactly.

You are on the right track with your intervals. Keep it up and progress to where your intense intervals are longer than your rest periods (but make sure you still have enough rest / down times).

If you still want to compare steps climbed or whatever other numbers, keep track separately: one list for HIIT workouts and another for your original workouts. HIIT is worth it! Great workout and saves time. I love it.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Your question makes perfect sense, and this is one of those situations where common sense can steer you wrong. What isn't readily apparent, but science can confirm, is that HIIT keeps on working for fat loss for a longer time AFTER you stop working when compare to steady state cardio.

This are much better explanations by Alwyn Cosgrove:

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_hierarchy_of_fat_loss

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/alwyn8.htm

Oh, thanks for this! I see that there's a study where endurance is compared to HIIT and even though the HIIT burnt less than half the calories over the however many weeks, there was significant greater weight loss.
  • katysmelly
    Options
    Yes, what DGR70 said. Also, this is a DIFFERENT workout than what you were doing previously, so don't try to compare numbers exactly.

You are on the right track with your intervals. Keep it up and progress to where your intense intervals are longer than your rest periods (but make sure you still have enough rest / down times).

If you still want to compare steps climbed or whatever other numbers, keep track separately: one list for HIIT workouts and another for your original workouts. HIIT is worth it! Great workout and saves time. I love it.

Now, I'm confused again - if I lengthen my HIITs to greater than my rests, then am I not doing the HIITS strong enough? I thought the point was to do intervals at intensity that is, by nature, unsustainable. So, while I may run faster as I make gains, I wouldn't expect the intervals to become significantly longer.

I can definitely see the point of continuing to keep track of numbers of steps as that should be a good way to see gains in .... um, whatever it is that I'm increasing. Power? Strength? And it will be fun to check in with a steadier 10 minutes once in a while to see how HIIT has increased my overall ability to cover more distance in a set amount of time.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    General rule of HIIT, is to push yourself for about 15-30 seconds to a point where you can't push any harder, then have a cooldown period that lasts until your heart rate drops to a respectable rate. Then push again, Obviously as you get more in shape and more used to it the rest period will decrease allowing you to push more often in the same time period. I think most people I shoot for 20 on 40 off but whatever works, everyone's different.

As a side thought, may be food for thought, and i'm guessing someone will disagree with this, but you may want to look into not doing your cardio and weights back to back. They tend to conflict a little :D
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    the HIIT workout I do is only 7 minutes, but it's 30 seconds of work (hard as you can- where HI comes in) followed by 10 seconds of rest (where I really just stand still gasping). it's a mix of alternating cardio and resistance. I've also done intervals on the treadmill 1:1 intervals but then had to do some resistance afterward anyway.
    but from what i understand of HIIT, you do have your intervals backwards. but it's whatever works for you.
  • katysmelly
    Options
    General rule of HIIT, is to push yourself for about 15-30 seconds to a point where you can't push any harder, then have a cooldown period that lasts until your heart rate drops to a respectable rate. Then push again, Obviously as you get more in shape and more used to it the rest period will decrease allowing you to push more often in the same time period. I think most people I shoot for 20 on 40 off but whatever works, everyone's different.

As a side thought, may be food for thought, and i'm guessing someone will disagree with this, but you may want to look into not doing your cardio and weights back to back. They tend to conflict a little :D

Yeah, I know that it's not ideal to do them together, but I'm hoping to compensate for it a bit by doing HIIT *after* weight training (after all, if you're tired, you can still get out of breath) and also by not doing it on the day I work my lower body. (I do Push x2/Pull x 2/ and then Legs on Friday.) However, I may be moving to a new routine (Strong Curves) that works the glutes four days a week and concedes that maybe you'll do some HIIT on the other two days. Sprinting out doors is not an option for me and getting to the gym six days a week also isn't.
  • katysmelly
    Options
    the HIIT workout I do is only 7 minutes, but it's 30 seconds of work (hard as you can- where HI comes in) followed by 10 seconds of rest (where I really just stand still gasping). it's a mix of alternating cardio and resistance. I've also done intervals on the treadmill 1:1 intervals but then had to do some resistance afterward anyway.
    but from what i understand of HIIT, you do have your intervals backwards. but it's whatever works for you.

I read that you go hard for 20-30 seconds then rest until your heart rate is back to nearly normal (which for me is about 90 seconds.) The rest interval may shorten in time - I don't know yet how I will react to this new thing.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    Options

Yeah, I know that it's not ideal to do them together, but I'm hoping to compensate for it a bit by doing HIIT *after* weight training (after all, if you're tired, you can still get out of breath) and also by not doing it on the day I work my lower body. (I do Push x2/Pull x 2/ and then Legs on Friday.) However, I may be moving to a new routine (Strong Curves) that works the glutes four days a week and concedes that maybe you'll do some HIIT on the other two days. Sprinting out doors is not an option for me and getting to the gym six days a week also isn't.

As far as doing Cardio and Weights in the same day, it's about energy. The body fuels itself is specific ways when performing certain tasks. To leave out all the scientific/technical jargon, doing cardio after weights may lead to less then desirable results for your weight lifting sessions. When doing cardio before your weights, it may lead to a less then desirable weight lifting experience. :D

Not the end of the world if you do, not a super huge deal, just not ideal. Pretty sure nearly everyone's done it though :D
  • JtKeil
    JtKeil Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    in to read later :flowerforyou:
  • katysmelly
    Options
    Well, I'm going to totally replace my regular gym cardio with HIIT four times a week, now. Ten minutes or so each time. But I am going to have to really be strict with myself that I'm truly going all out. I'm not sure the stair climber is the right machine for it - a stationary bike is better because you can move as fast as you like.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I read that you go hard for 20-30 seconds then rest until your heart rate is back to nearly normal (which for me is about 90 seconds.) The rest interval may shorten in time - I don't know yet how I will react to this new thing.

The intervals can vary depending on what you're actually wanting from it, with the net effect of high intensity and low intensity periods varying. You can't maintain for 30 seconds the same level of intensity that you can for 10 seconds, for example. For myself, if I'm doing 60 second alternating I can hit 195bpm HR, but if I want to sustain the effort for longer that HR isn't going to be achievable; I can sustain 180bpm for 30 minutes.

The question really becomes, what are you trying to achieve from using the machine? If it's just calorie consumption, then I'd suggest that you'll actually get more from a continuous intensity, say 90% for ten minutes, rather than as you're describing 95% for 2 1/2 minutes and 60% for 7 1/2 minutes. Regardless of the single digit additional expenditure from post exercise oxygen consumption you'll still get more from the continuous.

There is a lot of nonsense spouted about HIIT, it's not a magic bullet. But if CV work is a minor part of your training plan, then use the time effectively and that may include some HIIT. The main benefit is that it increases your VO2Max, so in the long term improves your effectiveness.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    Options
    Well, I'm going to totally replace my regular gym cardio with HIIT four times a week, now. Ten minutes or so each time. But I am going to have to really be strict with myself that I'm truly going all out. I'm not sure the stair climber is the right machine for it - a stationary bike is better because you can move as fast as you like.

Never used the stair climber for hit, I know it completely kicks my butt when I use it regularly. I'd be afraid of my legs giving in and falling down Lol. I love the stationary upright bike for HIIT. Favorite way to do it as you have much more control over the intensity, significantly easier on the joints and just overall, more fun for me. :D
  • katysmelly
    Options

The intervals can vary depending on what you're actually wanting from it, with the net effect of high intensity and low intensity periods varying. You can't maintain for 30 seconds the same level of intensity that you can for 10 seconds, for example. For myself, if I'm doing 60 second alternating I can hit 195bpm HR, but if I want to sustain the effort for longer that HR isn't going to be achievable; I can sustain 180bpm for 30 minutes.

The question really becomes, what are you trying to achieve from using the machine? If it's just calorie consumption, then I'd suggest that you'll actually get more from a continuous intensity, say 90% for ten minutes, rather than as you're describing 95% for 2 1/2 minutes and 60% for 7 1/2 minutes. Regardless of the single digit additional expenditure from post exercise oxygen consumption you'll still get more from the continuous.

There is a lot of nonsense spouted about HIIT, it's not a magic bullet. But if CV work is a minor part of your training plan, then use the time effectively and that may include some HIIT. The main benefit is that it increases your VO2Max, so in the long term improves your effectiveness.

Yes, I have noticed that there's a wide variety of what sort of intervals are prescribed. I just thought I'd try to do something after my weights that meant I was still getting cardio in. Ideally, I would do both - like go back for continuous cardio later.

I couldn't do 90% for 10 minutes, by the way. All I know is that when I do "continuous" I do intervals of pretty intense and then back down to a sort of medium range, in an attempt to get more steps done in the ten minutes than I did the previous time. I know it's pretty vigorous because I'm breathing heavily through an open mouth and dripping sweat, but I don't measure my heart rate or anything. I believe that all that maths is a waste of time if you're not actually in a sports lab hooked up to computers, and that the most accurate measure is how hard you feel you're working.
  • katysmelly
    Options

Never used the stair climber for hit, I know it completely kicks my butt when I use it regularly. I'd be afraid of my legs giving in and falling down Lol. I love the stationary upright bike for HIIT. Favorite way to do it as you have much more control over the intensity, significantly easier on the joints and just overall, more fun for me. :D

Oh, I sure do hate the stationary bike! Upright is pretty painful for my bum and even recumbent just makes me wanna die because it's pure quads doing all the work. Ugh. I hope I get used to it.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    Options

Oh, I sure do hate the stationary bike! Upright is pretty painful for my bum and even recumbent just makes me wanna die because it's pure quads doing all the work. Ugh. I hope I get used to it.

I would definitely avoid the recumbent bike. If you don't like the upright stationary bike, have you thought about giving the elliptical a whirl? I know several people who prefer it. Plus, you have a lot more control about which muscle groups you're recruiting :D
  • katysmelly
    Options
    The elliptical makes me feel like a zombie puppet - I cannot get the hang of that thing. What's wrong with the recumbent bike?
  • BenjaminMFP88
    Options
    The elliptical makes me feel like a zombie puppet - I cannot get the hang of that thing. What's wrong with the recumbent bike?

Nothing specifically, although it limits the recruited muscles for the workout. The more muscles you use (like when treadmill, elliptical, stairs) the better. The recumbent predominately utilizes the quads, you'd see better results in your cardio when utilizing a technique that recruits quads, hammys, calves, glutes, core etc :D Granted, anything is better then nothing :D
  • katysmelly
    Options

Nothing specifically, although it limits the recruited muscles for the workout. The more muscles you use (like when treadmill, elliptical, stairs) the better. The recumbent predominately utilizes the quads, you'd see better results in your cardio when utilizing a technique that recruits quads, hammys, calves, glutes, core etc :D Granted, anything is better then nothing :D

Oh, OK. That makes sense. I thought you were going to tell me that it would destroy my spine or something. I guess I could give the elliptical a try (but I sure do hate it!) It would be great if I lived a life in a climate where I could actually do sprints outdoors regularly. I may revisit the stair climber - although it can be harder to switch back and forth between the levels of intensity, I still really enjoy that sort of movement.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    Options

Oh, OK. That makes sense. I thought you were going to tell me that it would destroy my spine or something. I guess I could give the elliptical a try (but I sure do hate it!) It would be great if I lived a life in a climate where I could actually do sprints outdoors regularly. I may revisit the stair climber - although it can be harder to switch back and forth between the levels of intensity, I still really enjoy that sort of movement.

A rule there supersedes all of this, do whatever makes you happy, whatever is the most fun, whatever you will be able to and actually want to maintain... and be safe :D