Where do you log your food if you're eating it after midnigh

Options
I know I shouldn't be eating that late, but I go to bed really late anyway. I'm just wondering, if you have a snack after midnight, do you log it for that day? or the day after?
I've been doing it for the day after, but it feels a little sneaky. haha.

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Thanks to hubby's odd work schedule, we wake around noon and that's when we have breakfast. Sometimes, he doesn't get home until about 4 am. My last snack might be around 3 am. I log it for that day...not the next. To me, it's not the next day until I sleep.
    Just my two cents.
  • commute2sf
    commute2sf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you is what matters. And losing over 80 pounds? It is DEFINITELY working for you!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about when you eat. Your body handles it all in stride. We now know that it doesn't really matter in the long run ... we used to think eating late mattered, but they've now debunked that. What matters most is calories in versus calories out. That said, I log my calories on the day I eat them. Before midnight, then that day. After midnight, then the new day. :)

Hope that helps!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Anything you log before you go to bed goes on THAT day... because it's still "that day". Your body doesn't burn off much while you're sleeping so you have to log it. It doesn't just go away.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I log my late night food under "snacks" for the current day - it's still "today" until I go to bed ;-)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If it bothers you that much, change your time zone on MFP. I live on the east coast and have adopted my guys time schedule of getting up between 10 and 12 and going to bed around 3am. I changed my time zone to Pacific time, a difference of 3 hours, so MFP thinks it is midnight when it is really 3am. Problem solved.
  • inpaperclouds
    Options
    thanks, guys
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Options
    Im on nightshift tonight , if I eat after midnight , which i will , I'll just log it in the next day , either brekky or a snack.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it either way, and not even consistently the same way every time. Your body doesn't reset at midnight. When you go to bed is the end of that day, whether that's 10pm or 3am. For me, I try to log everything on the day that I eat it. However, if it will put me over my calories for the day but I'm really hungry, I will log it as breakfast on the next day and eat a little bit less the next day. It has always worked for me.
  • colonelangus
    Options
    I think Trainer Robin nailed it perfectly. It's not so much about an arbitrary day as it is an ongoing process.
  • inpaperclouds
    Options
    "rollover calories"
    haha.
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I personalized my food journal because I work shift work and broke my "meals" into 4 hour periods... instead of meal times.
    6am- 10am
    10am- 2pm
    2pm- 6pm
    6pm- 10pm
    10pm- 2am
    2am- 6am.

Good luck!
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I rarely go to bed before 3 and with that comes snacking after midnight. I log all food as if it was on the same day though.