Why just egg whites

Options
13»

Replies

• dhaemon
    dhaemon Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I get the big boxes of cartons of egg whites at Costco. They keep quite awhile.

That's what I use!
    I fry two slices of turkey bacon first and then take out the bacon and pour the egg whites on top of the turkey bacon grease and add pepper and one cheese slice. Yum!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Eggs - and where they come from - make me wanna throw up! :laugh:
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I don't really care for eggs.
    Since I'm trying to lower my cholesterol I avoid whole eggs. I'll use the packaged egg whites because they cook better in general (but have to add spinach leaves, mushrooms, and cheese or make French toast with them).
    Last cholesterol numbers were high. I was eating egg biscuits with the hubby in the mornings. I avoid the canned biscuits now too. Hoping for better numbers on my next labs.
  • fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Since I'm trying to lower my cholesterol I avoid whole eggs.

And how exactly will this help you to lower your cholesterol?
  • joflo723
    joflo723 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I eat whole eggs because I'm vegetarian (ovo-vegetarian). Without eating any meats or dairy, ovo-vegetarians tend to be low in B12 - and egg yolks are a great source of B12.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I've done the egg white thing and have gone back to regular eggs. I just can't do it. There's not enough substance to it. When I use the liquid eggwhites, even 1/2 a cup of the stuff isn't a lot.

I love my whole eggs. Doubly so because they're not store eggs but fresh eggs.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I love eggs and usually eat the whole egg. On occasion, especially for scrambles, I will use Egg Beaters along with a whole egg or two.

For those who separate your eggs, if you have pets like cats or dogs, give them the yolks. The nutrients are good for them, and especially give them nice shiny coats. Give them raw and either just put in a dish and let them lap them up or break them over some food.
  • kmorales_4
    kmorales_4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Eggs are awesome. I just wish I'd get the full feeling with just two. I think I can down about 4.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    egg whites: protein, egg yolk: fat

Egg whites: Bland, Egg yolks: Yummy
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    One egg and three whites is my basic, go-to omelette base. Yolks have a lot of nutrients, but also calories - this way I can get some of the benefits without overloading, and can add other ingredients.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Classic....as in the 80s rock!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Not exactly...

Healthy-Eating-and-Living-Egg-Nutrition-Mandy-King.jpg

So >50% of the protein in an egg is in the white and 100% of the fat in an egg is in the yolk.

If that's all you got from this chart I feel sorry for you...
  • skinterz
    Options
    Often I read members here eating just egg whites in whatever form, why do they just have the whites? Do you not like the yolks? What do you do to the yolk, throw away? Always wondered. ...

If i have 3 eggs in a meal ill have 1 egg yolk in there.I think your throwing away some decent nutrients in that yolk....its no yolk.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have recently been eating egg whites rather than full eggs. I still love my yolks, but I can have a huge plate of cheesy sauteed veggies and eggs using egg whites alone, for about 300 calories. Can't do that using 4-5 full eggs (which would be the equivalent amount of food).
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    because i can make an absolutely massive (and i mean like filling a large frying pan massive) omelette for about 300 calories. theres only 250 cals in a half a litre of egg whites