Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I want to do this right. Any help would be appreciated.

First let me say I have never been a patient person. I've currently dropped around 46lbs since January 5th. I know that might seem steady but from March - July I completely stopped calorie counting and just had what I wanted (luckily enough only gaining a few pounds.)

Last week alone I switched to a low carb - high protein diet, taking in 1200 calories. I lost 1lb per day (which I know was attributed to water and stuff, not just fat loss). Rather than thinking the drop was too fast I was too ecstatic every morning I stepped on the scales.

Being 280lbs now I know 1200 calories is nowhere near enough. For the past two days I've been obsessing on reading stories of people losing too fast and then when they hit their weight they put it all back on twice as fast. It's kind of been a reality call to me. Losing weight fast is well and good but with extreme calorie restrictions like I was putting myself under, when it comes to maintaining, it's going to be another huge change as opposed to slowly adjusting calories as a pound or two falls off each week. It would make maintenance a lot easier. I'll be honest, when I reach my ideal weight I will want days where I can take a break from working out or go out for something to eat occasionally. I want to be able to eat like a normal person and live life a normal way. Losing weight so rapidly would not have led to that.

I want to hit the 2lbs a week barrier. My problem is I look at my daily macro for MFP (2190) and always think that it's way too many. First I have to keep hitting it and show that it isn't - show to myself that it is telling me what I need to hit to lose those 2lbs a week.

I want to hit those macros. This is where I am asking for help, because apart from eating chicken religiously with eggs, beans, vegetables, etc, while they're all really good for me, they're low calorie and make it hard to hit those macros.

So I'm asking for help. What things can I implement to my diet that can push up my calorie intake to reach my macro? I think turning away from high-protein low-carb will help with that with the introduction of whole wheat bread, brown rice and the like.

Any advice you could give me would be really appreciated

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    If you are looking for higher calorie, nutritious food, I would recomend nuts. They are good for you, in moderation. Another good food is dark chocolate---at least 72% chocolate. Best.:smile:
  • Splutters
    Splutters Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks for the dark chocolate advice! I already have nuts in my diet (23 almonds per day and a spoonful of peanut butter)
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Oily fish, avocado, dried fruits, oil in salad dressing?

I understand your dilemma, I'm a bugger for spending spare calories on biscuits and crisps.
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Butter, mayo, cheese, nuts, sunflower seeds, cooking cream, pork, beef
    They are all rather calorie dense, so a small amount has a lot of calories (for a relative value of 'a lot' as compared to veggies)
  • Splutters
    Thanks for all of the advice. I never thought I'd be worried about losing too fast, haha.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    You might find that feeling of not being able to hit your goal might tail off after a few weeks. When I started I had 1800 calories and thought how on earth would I eat that much? I managed it, filled my day up with healthy snacks, like bananas, Greek yoghurt, malt loaf, smoothies/milkshakes and the occasional higher calorie treat.

As you lose weight your calories will drop and then you start to get into the habit of eating less as you need less.

It is a long haul thing and nothing is going to change overnight but just knowing I was looking after myself and eating properly was motivation enough!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Peanut butter and nuts are my favorite fillers. Also, try a protein bar.
  • Splutters
    Right now I've been able to pack it up from 1200 to 1562, still with 628 calories to spare. I'm going shopping after work to try and find things I can use over the next few days so I can plan ahead and hit my calorie goals so all of your suggestions are really appreciated.