Restaurant's want people to stay fat!

Options
2»

Replies

• DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Panera Bread is fabulous. The best nutrition web site I have ever seen. You can see the nutritional content of EACH ingredient of each prepared menu item. When I order the Asian Chicken Salad I see that the wonton strips have 130 calories. Delete the crispy wonton strips and POW...you have an incredibly filling salad with only 260 calories. That's a full portion with chicken and dressing. I know it's expensive but I would sometimes eat two meals a day there and I was losing 10 lbs a month. I have since bought a kitchen scale and measure my calories directly. But I give a lot of credit to Panera for showing me that very filling food can be low calorie.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

I will more than like be taking 3/4 of my food to go from now on. Thank for the idea.

I hope it helps for you, and you're welcome. :)
  • jillcaudill
    jillcaudill Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If I'm eating out I want to indulge, I don't want to eat dry meat and a salad with no dressing (yuck), but I just eat less. My husband and I often split a meal, that cuts the calories in half right away. And usually there is so much food that I only eat half of my portion and eat the other half for lunch the next day. So now I'm looking at a quarter of the calories. And there are some places with great low calorie options that taste good too. I like subway and taco bell's fresco menu is great for on the run meals.
  • LauraKB
    LauraKB Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You're completely right! What I hate the most is the nasty look you get from a waiter when you begin to inquire about food prep. Although I've just recently started counting calories, I've had food issues due to my daughter's food allergies and some places are just intollerable.

Food portions are huge... sometimes all you need is an appetizer and even then it's loaded with calories, fat and salt! Sometimes it's just not worth going out!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    most salads are just as bad as burgers if not worse (well calorie wise,they may have slighty more nutrition)
    salads are just ice cream disguised as healthy food... (most places, there are exceptions)

also calorie counts on menus are often times alot lower than what it actually is,the amount of calories depends on what the cook does...which is usally higher than the meal that was used as the standered
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    One time I was at Applebees with my DH and got fajitas. I thought they'd be healthier than some other items on the menu because it's not fried, and I wasn't going to use the sour cream. It still came in over 1100 calories! Broke my heart, I'll never order those again.
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean!! I went to the Yard House thinking I would get a lunch portion, but they don't even offer their lunch menu items on the weekend! Grrr..
  • kaitlyn1818
    Options
    I don't know. I think people should just eat at home...and occasionally eat at restaurants. Like less than once a month. I eat out like once every three months. I save so much money its ridiculous. My food bill for just me is 30 dollars a month. I am so good at budgeting my food bill and making everything last. This is a rare talent! So I suggest if you have it USE IT!!