Broken Wrist and Exercise

Options
I've broken my wrist over the weekend like a fool!!

The issue is that I had planned to swim/run to exercise and obviously swimming is out of the window for as long as I'm in plaster but would running be ok? Or should I stick to walking?

Any advice is appreciated as I don't want to stop exercising and Idon't think they'll be happy to see me at the gym in full plaster!!

Replies

• kateh86
    Options
    No one can offer any advice?!

xx
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I can't say with complete assurance but this was my experience:

I broke my hand many moons ago and was told by my doc to not do any strenuous exercise right away (for the first week or so) and after that was only allowed moderate exercise until my cast came off.

I'm assuming the beginning part was to avoid further damage (falling on my klutzy face), and to not take any healing ability away from what needed it most. I also had issues with swelling, so that may have been part of it.

Heck, I don't know. But that's my story, and I'm stickin to it.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I would probably stick to a fast paced walk or a slow jog until it heals. All the bouncing around and jarring that can happen to your wrist while in a full run could cause more damage.

A few years ago I seriously messed up my shoulder. I was in training for my job (I'm a police officer) so I HAD to keep running anyway. The only way that I got through it was to keep my arm totally still by strapping it tightly to my body and modifying the way that I run so my shoulder wouldn't feel the force of my stride...it was seriously painful and I was taking more advil than you can imagine! I might have healed that shoulder better and faster if I was allowed to stick to my rehab exercises instead of that running I had to do.
  • cassieshinn
    cassieshinn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was in a car accident n November, (partly the reason I stopped calorie counting) and I had a whiplash injury that now causes lots ofpain in my shoulder, I find gentle walking and a bit of light step on the wii fit helps, the last thing you want to do is overwork yourself and end up doing more damage. Slowly and at a pace that feels right for you.
    Hope you`feel better soon :smile:
  • skeene07
    skeene07 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I broke my wrist several years ago...for the first week or two it kinda hurt even with running-I think it was the jostling around. So I only walked. But after that I resumed running. It was summer and the worst part was sweating and stink! ;) like someone else said make sure ur very careful not to fall!!
  • TWest64
    Options
    I broke my wrist too - right after signing up on this site a few weeks ago. I have a full arm cast (for now) and have no idea how much weight I've lost because I don't know how much this cast weighs. Regarding exercise, my doc said it was fine, do what I want (I specifically asked about Zumba) but I know my own body and know my arm can't handle that yet. I've continued my treadmill workouts but decreased my speed and increased my incline. I'm trying to incorporate lower body exercise more so than before to compensate for what I can't do. I think you should listen to your arm, it'll tell you when you've done too much. Good luck!