The Daniel Plan

Options
Has anyone here implemented The Daniel Plan and how is it going for you if you have? I like the idea of eating only "real" foods. No preservatives, no processed food and so on but am wondering if you find it difficult to stick with?

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I eat a chocolate bar or a doughnut every night.

So I probably would have a difficult time with this.
  • cookie4974
    cookie4974 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the Daniel Plan for about 2 months
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    it sounds really great and like a whole life plan, not just a diet. I haven't tried it, but good luck. it doesn't seem too difficult to maintain, as long as you keep the processed foods out of your pantry.
    :smile:
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, that sounds horrible! I'll happily eat my fast food while losing weight!
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    This is only in reference to the Daniel Plan as mentioned...my wife does it once a year here lately to bring in the new year; however, for her, it's more of a sacrifice from a spiritual standpoint. Nothing that is run long term as this was something Daniel did to help him eat kosher and not be defiled eating from the King's table. This was only done for a time in his life and not something he did for the rest of his life. How you apply this to your life is something you will decide.

"When we are careful to study these words, we find that Daniel's original Fast allowed all non-animal, non-fermented foods that are planted for harvest. He did this because he did not want to defile himself by disobeying God by eating non-kosher foods or meats that may have been offered to the king's idols."

And unless you farm the food yourself or buy directly from the farmer, there is nothing that won't be "processed" to some varied degree. Again, its about the sacrifice (like paying tithes in church, taking time out of your day to pray, volunteering time or money for causes, etc...). This is of course, my standpoint on it.

From a dietary point of view, eating whole foods will always be a healthier route than eating heavily processed foods. This is a no brainer. But this does not mean there is not a place for these "processed" foods in your life.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    Options
    This is only in reference to the Daniel Plan as mentioned...my wife does it once a year here lately to bring in the new year; however, for her, it's more of a sacrifice from a spiritual standpoint. Nothing that is run long term as this was something Daniel did to help him eat kosher and not be defiled eating from the King's table. This was only done for a time in his life and not something he did for the rest of his life. How you apply this to your life is something you will decide.

"When we are careful to study these words, we find that Daniel's original Fast allowed all non-animal, non-fermented foods that are planted for harvest. He did this because he did not want to defile himself by disobeying God by eating non-kosher foods or meats that may have been offered to the king's idols."

And unless you farm the food yourself or buy directly from the farmer, there is nothing that won't be "processed" to some varied degree. Again, its about the sacrifice (like paying tithes in church, taking time out of your day to pray, volunteering time or money for causes, etc...). This is of course, my standpoint on it.

From a dietary point of view, eating whole foods will always be a healthier route than eating heavily processed foods. This is a no brainer. But this does not mean there is not a place for these "processed" foods in your life.

McDonalds is a very spiritual experience for me :D
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Eating a Chicken McNugget requires faith
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options

For me, when I eat good pizza, I sometimes think I hear angels sing :happy:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Does Daniel eat gelato?
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options

^This! Me too. Fresh out of the brick oven of my favorite diner... oh, I can feel and taste the crust. Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside and oh so warm... wait a minute! Stating to sound a little kinky here! Seriously...
  • BenjaminMFP88
    Options

^This! Me too. Fresh out of the brick oven of my favorite diner... oh, I can feel and taste the crust. Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside and oh so warm... wait a minute! Stating to sound a little kinky here! Seriously...

For the love of gawd don't stop!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Let me preface my answer by saying that at least 90% of my diet is homegrown organic foods. We have 2 large gardens, we plant in Spring and Fall, we can, freeze and preserve whatever we can, we raise chickens for eggs and meat, we hunt.

That said, I think it would be nearly impossible to totally avoid preservatives and processed foods. You could never eat at a restaurant, or at a friend's house, or at a party or event, at an amusement park, no popcorn at the movies, etc.

I think cutting back on processed foods and food additives is a really good idea. But I think shooting for 100% all natural, nothing processed is unrealistic in today's world. Don't make yourself crazy with it.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Never tried it. Almost all store bought food is "processed" in one way or another. Good luck with the diet. :flowerforyou:

This whole calorie counting thing works for me though!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Who is this Daniel person and why is he hating on delicious foods? What a douche.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options

All humor aside, I really want to thank you for all the information you provided. I read these posts in my quest to learn new and improved diet options and often "have no clue" as to the actual origin and logic of the topic. The concept may sound good until I gain a little history and knowledge and you shared a wealth of knowledge (as well as saved me the time of a Google search... LOL).

Yes, we all know eating healthy and organic is better for our bodies, but to adopt a "biblical cleanse" as a lifestyle change, in our day, time and current environment MAY not be the best lifestyle choice. I will stick to my plan and continue to eat as healthy as possible and be happy!

Thanks for your reply! :smile:
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here implemented The Daniel Plan and how is it going for you if you have? I like the idea of eating only "real" foods. No preservatives, no processed food and so on but am wondering if you find it difficult to stick with?

Figure out what works for you, OP. Try this thing out, if it's something you feel you can do for the long haul, go for it. If not, know that there are many other ways to lose weight and keep it off. This plan does sound very strict. I can understand the strictness from a spiritual standpoint, but from a health/weight loss standpoint, it's not really necessary.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    just wanted to let you know that I was at the library today and I saw the Daniel plan book. you might want to check it out from your library if you can, instead of buying it straight away.
    :smile: