Do you eat when you're only a little bit hungry?

Options
This may seem like a dumb question, but once you've reached your calorie limit for the day and you're only a little bit hungry afterwards do you eat or do you ignore it? For me I ignore it because I figure that even though I'd a little bit hungry I can still survive.

I'll only eat something when I'm starving

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I eat at meal times. So if in your hypothetical I haven't had dinner, I'd eat a lower calorie (but still balanced) dinner, probably some kind of protein and veg. (In reality I generally avoid getting into that position.) I'd do this unless there were some reason I was not hungry, like I intentionally ate a big lunch in lieu of dinner (some people's Thanksgiving model) or some other such thing. If this is after dinner, no, I would not eat.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    ....... do you eat or do you ignore it? For me I ignore it because I figure that even though I'd a little bit hungry I can still survive.

This happens to me sometimes if i've had a Dinner that hasn't been that filling....then literally a couple hours after i'll be hungry again.
    I will definitely eat something, even if its just a slice of Toast - or else i just wouldn't be able to get to sleep due to my rumbling stomach! :ohwell:
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    I eat small meals throughout the day vs. three big meals so I'm usually hungry at night. Couple of thoughts:

1. Make sure you're drinking a lot of water! Its all too easy to confuse thirst with hunger.

2. If you're out of calories and you're hungry at night, maybe try zero cal tea? Or get low cal bread (mine is 45 cals/slice)? Or a fudge pop (40 cals)? Just something small.

3. Save calories so that you can indulge at night! If you're hungry, you should eat! Dieting is not about deprivation. Its about being smart with your calories.
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I try not to. If I've reached my cal limit, in my book, I don't need to eat anything. If it's just a little bit of hunger, I try to distract myself or drink a glass of water or tea. If the hunger gets stronger an hour later, I'll have a small snack, like a spoonful of cottage cheese, a glass of almond milk (dairy milk, for whatever reason, gives me stomach pains) or a banana, etc. But, I don't think there is anything wrong with going to bed a little bit hungry. But, that is just what works for me.
  • Phill2488
    Phill2488 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    When I'm feeling a little hungry I drink a can of Coca-Cola Zero. It has zero calories and it fills me up more than a glass of water
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I'm unable to sleep if I'm hungry, so yes, even if I've reached my calorie goal for the day, I'll eat a little something to feel better.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with being hungry when you diet. If you wait thirty minutes, the hunger will pass.

Learning to eat when you're hungry is an acquired skill for some people and a good one to learn!

Generally, I wait until I'm actually hungry to eat, not just a little. But if I'm a little hungry and it's time to take pills, I will eat something. :)
  • funnybun1
    funnybun1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to vegetables - it's amazing how much you can eat for so little calories :) 4 cups of broccoli & cauliflower is about 110 calories. When you're really trying hard....it seems less like you're giving up.