what am I supposed to do with coconut oil?

Options
mary190136
mary190136 Posts: 44 Member
I bought a giant tub of coconut oil, and now I have no idea what to do with it.
Please advise.

Replies

• woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Use it in equivalent amounts in place of other oil.
  • eliska26
    Options
    I use it as body lotion, hand cream-very dry skin, as eye cream (against wrinkles, dard circles), on my dry hair. Not for cooking (too expensive) but some people use to add it in their coffee(i have never tried this), or protein shake
  • WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Use it in my coffee: I add 1 teaspoon onto my brewed coffee and blend it in my Magic Bullet for 20-30 seconds, makes a nice foam on top like a cappuccino
  • woman_of_steele
    woman_of_steele Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Cook your eggs in it! So, so good. Oven roasted veggies, sweet potato fries, cumin roasted carrots - so much yum!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Why would you buy a "giant tub" of something without knowing what you were going to do with it?
  • Jaseau
    Jaseau Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Coconut Oil is amazing! Pure energy clean fat. can be used in cooking, but has a low smoke point ( it burns easy though) can be used in smoothies, in sweet treats (made with dates, cocoa and nuts)... I often just eat a tablespoon by itself if I need some healthy calories.

At home we use it as a moisturizer for our kids after a bath it has a natural SPF factor of 4!!

Its great stuff. if you are doing a Paleo type diet it will be a main source of energy.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Why would you buy a "giant tub" of something without knowing what you were going to do with it?

...my thoughts exactly.

Did you hear about some wonderful info on it??

As mentioned before it has multi-use....cook with it, etc.
    Make popcorn for that "old school" theater flavour.
  • Jaseau
    Jaseau Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    yes!! I have heard that coconut oil and coffee is an awesome long lasting energy! we have a name for it here in Australia but I cant remember what it is!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I bought a giant tub of coconut oil, and now I have no idea what to do with it.
    Please advise.
    Why would you buy something without any idea what to do with it???

I don't eat it, but I use it as lotion and in my hair.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I use it sometimes to make popcorn on the stovetop.

However, be careful how you store it. I had the last third stored in a cabinet above our coffee maker. The heat from the maker caused the oil to spoil and liquefy. I had to toss it. :(
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Bathe yourself in it,

Inside and out.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    yes!! I have heard that coconut oil and coffee is an awesome long lasting energy! we have a name for it here in Australia but I cant remember what it is!

Bulletproof coffee. While I think it is a load of junk about the AMAZING HEALTH BENEFITS, I use it as a lotion for my toddler and as a make up remover. Works great actually. As far as cooking goes, I find that it holds to higher temps better than olive oil.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why you'd buy a huge tub of something you have no purpose for. But that makes me a hypocrite, b/c I bought Chia Seeds in a moment of feeling like a hippy.

Anyhow, I actually have used it on my skin. It's very healing for eczema. You can also, obviously, cook with it. Awesome for popping popcorn too.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Aside from entirely replacing vegetable/olive oil with coconut oil for cooking...

I use it to make my own sugar scrubs, to put tea tree oil in if I need to use it for a treatment (on a cut, breakout, or anything fungal), and have used it as a hair conditioning treatment. There are literally like a million and one uses if you google it.

I wouldn't replace oils in baking, though, since that's more of a chemistry game. Unless you find a recipe that says it's okay to substitute or you look into it first, I can't guarantee how that will turn out.

I prefer coconut oil because it has kind of a nutty, deep taste when you cook it. It's quite good with chicken.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Aside from entirely replacing vegetable/olive oil with coconut oil for cooking...

I use it to make my own sugar scrubs, to put tea tree oil in if I need to use it for a treatment (on a cut, breakout, or anything fungal), and have used it as a hair conditioning treatment. There are literally like a million and one uses if you google it.

I wouldn't replace oils in baking, though, since that's more of a chemistry game. Unless you find a recipe that says it's okay to substitute or you look into it first, I can't guarantee how that will turn out.

I prefer coconut oil because it has kind of a nutty, deep taste when you cook it. It's quite good with chicken.

tumblr_m9zcp7IbIU1rbzdkmo1_400.gif
  • KristyMayhem331
    KristyMayhem331 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

^ This! Why buy something without a purpose?!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

tumblr_m9zcp7IbIU1rbzdkmo1_400.gif
    Strangely, the coconut oil I bought a couple weeks ago (supposedly 100% organic and unrefined) smells a bit like bacon grease.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I use it in my hair
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

Exactly what I was going to ask.

45WW0wy.gif
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    1) Use as a Cooking Oil - I keep this tub separate from what I'm mentioning below
    2) Add it to Coffee for the favor.

Separate Tub
    3) Oil for Hair - very luke warm and apply for 40 minutes minimum or overnight
    4) Moisturizer for skin - day and night
    5) Sun protection while being out in sun saves from sun burns
    6) If you forget to apply and do get sun burned apply it on the area - helps in healing the burn
    7) Chapped lips

If at this point do not want to invest in another tub and are trying out I would suggest removing a potion in container for purpose other than cooking.