Tips on staying on track at a wedding!?

Options
Hey guys!
Okay...so it's all ben going quite well for me, but this weekend I think could be a problem!

I'm counting calories and excercising basically.
Tomorrow night, we are going away as we have a wedding on Friday. We have pre-ordered our meals, (I can't even remember what I'm having) and there will be some drinking involved - I don't want to not join in, so am looking for tips to just be sensible.
I was thinking of maybe drinking things like vodka and diet coke or cranberry? And maybe eating wise, just try be healthy right up until then?

We are staying at a hotel so probs will be having breakfast there, so I imagine I'm safer sticking to the cereals and fruits rather than the fried breakfast.

And then on Saturday, we are going to my partner's sisters' and going out with her and her partner. So basically - I'm stuffed for this weekend! It's hard not to think of it that way, but I'm trying to say that all I need to do is be sensible and maybe try go running when I'm there?

What do you guys think? Any tips on maybe emergency food to carry in my bag!? hehe!

Thanks guys!

Replies

• Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it! Jut be sensible and have fun!
    Look at it this way- if you are going to a mass of weddings/birthdays/knees ups in the next couple of months then yes. You do need to have a draconian strategy. Otherwise don't sweat it! It's a one off! When you come home you have to allow for whatever will happen on the scales but as long as the 'festive' eating' stays at the venue really don't worry about it and understand you have a life!
    :-D
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    First off, one weekend will not ruin your progress, maybe just slow it down. Expect that you will weigh more when you get back, but at least part of it is water.

Eat as close to what you usually eat in terms of size and type of food when not at the weddding itself, try to eat a sensible portion at the wedding.

For every drink you have, have a glass of water afterwards (or alongside); it will slow down your drinking and keep you hidtated at the same time.

Dance and enjoy yourself, don't let the worry ruin your good time.

Even if you go waaay waay over calories, just go back to your usual routine once you get back home. If you can squeeze in some exercise, do so, but don't get too worried if it doesn't happen.

As for emergency food, you could put a protein bar or some nuts into your bag in case the pre-food part of the wedding ends up taking more time than expected.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,699 Member
    Options
    How often do you attend weddings? Don't sweat it.

I would get some exercise at the hotel gym and just net at maintenance. Vodka and soda or diet coke at the bar.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How often do you attend weddings? Don't sweat it.

I would get some exercise at the hotel gym and just net at maintenance. Vodka and soda or diet coke at the bar.

this...

one weekend of over eating for special occassions wont make you fat, just like one weekend of eating salad doesnt make you thin!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Hoard some calories for a day or two before the wedding and eat very lightly on the morning of the wedding... then don't worry about it. Have fun.. Eat the hors d'oeuvres in all their bacon-wrapped goodness, have some drinks, enjoy your meal, have a slice of cake. Just don't let one evening of fun bleed into the next day.
  • elengwenllian
    Options
    Thank you so much guys!
    I'm usually quite cool with things like this but I guess it's just that I seem to be doing so well at the moment. So I'll accept the scales next week and be back on track then!
    THANK YOU!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy yourself. Next weekend is my brother's wedding, which also happens to be my birthday (yeah, yeah, I know :laugh:), so I'm not going to worry about going over my calories since it's a huge celebration.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    go ahead and eat what is being served, just have very small amounts. enjoy one appetizer, not 5 (like I would have normally LOL)
    eat 3/4 of your dinner when it is served. have one cocktail, then drink water. have a piece of wedding cake. you can still have fun but not overindulge yourself. I agree with the post about going to the hotel gym. that will keep you feeling like you are actively doing something toward your regular routine and lifestyle. have fun! :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Go, have fun and just be conscientious.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Load up on salad, drink diet soda and vodka (cranberry juice is basically pure sugar) or wine, stick to fruit and wheat toast at the hotel - but have fun and don't go crazy thinking about it either :)
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!
    Okay...so it's all ben going quite well for me, but this weekend I think could be a problem!

I'm counting calories and excercising basically.
    Tomorrow night, we are going away as we have a wedding on Friday. We have pre-ordered our meals, (I can't even remember what I'm having) and there will be some drinking involved - I don't want to not join in, so am looking for tips to just be sensible.
    I was thinking of maybe drinking things like vodka and diet coke or cranberry? And maybe eating wise, just try be healthy right up until then?

We are staying at a hotel so probs will be having breakfast there, so I imagine I'm safer sticking to the cereals and fruits rather than the fried breakfast.

And then on Saturday, we are going to my partner's sisters' and going out with her and her partner. So basically - I'm stuffed for this weekend! It's hard not to think of it that way, but I'm trying to say that all I need to do is be sensible and maybe try go running when I'm there?

What do you guys think? Any tips on maybe emergency food to carry in my bag!? hehe!

Thanks guys!
    I went to a wedding last Friday and stayed in a hotel. I ate proteins first and stayed away from the carbs this worked. But then I had ice
    Cream and also alcohol but I felt fine. The next day I had French toast too much sugar. Just low carb and you won't want to over eat.
    And I don't want anyone saying I'm wrong try it! It's oy for a day or two. Stay away from that cereal!
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Load up on salad, drink diet soda and vodka (cranberry juice is basically pure sugar) or wine, stick to fruit and wheat toast at the hotel - but have fun and don't go crazy thinking about it either :)
    Wine is sugar. How about dont eat the toast! Eat eggs and wait a little while and see if you want the toast.
  • clewpage
    clewpage Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Most weddings have veggie and fruit platters, so you can make good choices. Make sure you eat well prior to going. If you go in there starving, you'll eat everything you see. If you eat sensibly in the days leading up, have a healthy but filling breakfast (think protein - eggs, lean meat, maybe a fruit) and then have a healthy snack before you go (again, protein keeps you satisfied longer), you won't be starving and will be less inclined to overindulge on food and/or drink.
    You can have wedding cake, but only 1 piece, not 2, and leave the last bite untouched. Same for your main course, leave the last bite or two on the plate.
    Strive for healthy choics, but don't stress over it.
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    It's inevitable you will go over your calories whatever you do. However, you could engineer it so you only go over by 300-500 each day rather than potentially 1000 or more… as you could probably easily do at a wedding!

Stick to spirits like vodka and gin with tonic water or diet coke if you're drinking, perhaps one or two glasses of wine as it is a wedding. Also, try and load up on the meat and salad and veg over things like bread. Have a piece of cake, but just a taste. Avoid cocktails because of the sugar.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Wine is sugar. How about dont eat the toast! Eat eggs and wait a little while and see if you want the toast.

Yeah but wine is also delicious ;)
  • Shalva
    Shalva Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think it is harder when you are at the beginning. You feel like you just got your head together and now this thing comes along. I had a similar event when I had just started... If it were me ... I would eat light in the morning... then just enjoy myself... and get right back on track in the morning ....
  • elengwenllian
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I feel much better now - especially as I tried a new dress yesterday that I'd bought months ago but wouldn't fit and it fits and I can wear it tomorrow! Yei!

I think my main issue is that it is quite early on in my change of lifestyle but there we go. We're going to my partner's sisters after the wedding and going out for a curry but I'll try be sensible then too!

Anyone got any tips on eating out at pubs?! Going to a pub for a meal tonight.....hard life ei!?