Facial tattoos...

_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
I feel that certain forms of personal expression fairly allow others to discriminate against the expression when in certain contexts.

What is something you do that you know you will be judged for and what is something you judge others for?

I wear crocs, and I know some people think I look like Bozo in my floppy clown shoes.

Replies

• Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    No facial tats for me although I'm full sleeved.
    I just thinks it's over the top as some view my sleeves in the same light.
    I also wear crocs.

Black socks and sandals get a laugh from me.
    I think it looks stupid.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    I don't judge people with facial tattoos. I just wonder how they make a living . . .
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    along the lines of tattoos, ive always said that people with ink on their hands are just on another level than i am in regards to how much they "care" what people think. to my own surprise, i have decided to get a decorative B on my left ring finger (wifes name is Beth). i haven't been wearing my ring, and i think a nice tattoo would be a nice substitute.

i think sometimes i am judged by the music i listen to. perhaps people think its something that should be outgrown, but i really just enjoy listening to insanely heavy stuff and bass heavy trap. maybe it's not considered "mature", and at 36 i should be listening to nothing but billy joel or mumford and sons (or whatever).
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    I would have to draw the line at facial tattoos and other obvious body modifications such as horns. It's not that I'm judging but I might be questioning your judgment.

As for me? I'm pretty innocuous IRL. I barely even take my shirt off except to run or swim. Maybe my fondness for cargo shorts and flip flops, or my frequent facial scruff and lack of neck tie? Idonno
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    I don't judge people with facial tattoos. I just wonder how they make a living . . .

There are A LOT of carnivals and circuses that travel around. And somebody needs to ring up my convenience store purchases.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member

There are A LOT of carnivals and circuses that travel around. And somebody needs to ring up my convenience store purchases.

you probably own khakis don't you
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Facial tattoos basically make the statement, "I am unemployable."

Unless you want to be a tattoo artist, circus act, or athlete.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    I do have certain pet peeves that drive me nuts. Consistently poor grammar in something like facebook posts really get me. Not the occasional typo or the "their/there" issues, but being completely unable to string together words in a fashion that anyone can actually understand it.

Here's an example, "He was getting pizza plummer we should have gotti g to play plummer crakea ice ya" This is very common type of posting from certain people who are supposed to be grown adults on my son's facebook page.

Can anyone tell me what this means?

I try not to judge people, but I do feel that people who want to "express themselves" and complain about people judging them often go out of their way to do things so that they can be judged. It's like they want to have a reason to be righteously indignant. Like tattooing "SATAN RULES" on your neck while piercing your ears so there is 2" hole in your lobe and a lightening bolt nose piercing.
  • jmurray90
    jmurray90 Posts: 431 Member
    "Ink my whole body, I don't give a mother f***." -Wiz Khalifa

that being said... I have a job, in the real world. I'll stick to my tatts below my chin (:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Facial tattoos basically make the statement, "I am unemployable."

Unless you want to be a tattoo artist, circus act, or athlete.

That would depend on the tattoo really. There are some that are completely overboard, while a small one may not stand out as much.

You're also forgetting the self-employed, musician, late night Wal-Mart employee, and factory work.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    just don't do it.
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    I once had a guy with a facial tattoo save me from being pulled into a cab by some douche I was talking to outside the bar. So no, I don't judge. Unless it's a teardrop tattoo.
  • JojoW8183
    JojoW8183 Posts: 540 Member
    = dumb

However, thinking that someone is unemployable because they have tattoos, or facial tattoos is also dumb. A person's skill shouldn't be determined by their appearance. Assuming that someone with a tattoo is unemployable is the same as assuming that a fat person would make a lazy employee, and an attractive woman would sleep her way to the top.

Oh...as far as being judged...

1. height
    2. weight
    3. age
    4. skin color, ethnicity
    5. level of education
    6. credit score
    7. place of employment
    8. personal style
    9. sexual choices
    10. personality

If we really thought about how many things we're judged on...we'd be here all day.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    I made sure my tats (two of them, btw) were strategically placed due to evening gowns and heels. Many people I deal with are very old school and look down on visible tattoos.

As for judging other people, IDK, I believe we all judge others for something. I try not to though.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    "He was getting pizza plummer we should have gotti g to play plummer crakea ice ya"

I have no idea what that even means :huh:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Five Fingers....
    Skinny Jeans....
    Cauliflower is my favorite veggie....
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member

Are you judging my khakis?
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    I used to hang around a tattoo studio when I was in my 20's and it was owned and operated by an "old school" tattooist. His take on it was that a reputable tattoist never tattoo'd thier hands or face. It was just taboo. This was twenty years ago and hand and facial tattoos are more common. Tattooing itself is much more mainstream then it used to be. I still perscribe to the no hands or face being tattoo'd as it puts a negative stigma on a person. Even with full sleeves, a person can cover them while working if needed but oviously facial and hand tattoos can't. I don't think the negative stigma will go away on those.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    I have a friend, acquaintance really....who has full tats up to his jaw line.
    A row of skulls side by side.

This reminded me of him and made me wonder when he'll get out. lol
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member

Are you judging my khakis?

always