Egg White recipe?!

Options
marcywiseman
marcywiseman Posts: 21 Member
Just curious as to what you guys add to scrambled egg whites?! I was thinking chopped spinach, but unsure of what else to add. Thanks!

Replies

• jrcrmr
    jrcrmr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    egg whites, cayenne pepper, black pepper,..cook/scramble... add salsa
    yum
  • marcywiseman
    Options
    oh yum, salsa would be amazing!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    spinach and black olives
    salsa
    goat cheese & sundried tomatoes
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I get a really cool egg white omelet at a restaurant I frequent. The owner makes his own fresh chorizo daily so I get a 4 egg whites omelet with chorizo and fresh sliced jalapeno rings.

Sounds simple but it's incredibly tasty. Especially when eaten in a hot flour tortilla or two.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    coco's makes a super low cal diet egg white thingie that's good too. it has basil, tomatoes, and feta. it's fresh and herby and tasty.
  • StacyAS999
    StacyAS999 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I throw in a laughing cow cheese. Especially the chipotle flavored one.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I've been on a big "eat the whole darn egg" kick, so I wouldn't skip out on the yolks entirely. It's where all of the nutrients are (and as much protein as the whites). At the very least, I'd eat one whole egg and throw in some extra whites.

When I was better about making breakfast, I'd chop white onion real fine and cook in olive oil with some spinach. I'd also try for another protein, like ground turkey or chopped chicken breast. Cook those guys together in the pan, then pour the eggs around it. Maybe also some cheese.
  • marcywiseman
    Options
    thanks everyone! do you guys use fresh spinach? or do you buy the frozen to put in it? Im a virgin at this healthy eating stuff....but if I want to get into shape, I have to step my game up!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    when at home I tend to eat my egg whites with egg yolk BUT... lately I am having serious egg issues.

Apparently I can eat an egg if it's mixed and made into french toast. But if I eat a fried egg, i get gaggy.:noway: :grumble:

So yeah, eggs confuse me right now. So for the time being egg whites seem ok. I'm gonna try a torta or omelet soon where the egg white and yolk are mixed but no bread is included. when I get brave. wish me luck!

*sadeggface*

luckily if that no work, i can still have these egg white omelets.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    thanks everyone! do you guys use fresh spinach? or do you buy the frozen to put in it? Im a virgin at this healthy eating stuff....but if I want to get into shape, I have to step my game up!

whenever i've had spinach in an aomeletee it was the fresh kind.

(omg spelling!)
  • hmhalleck
    hmhalleck Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I add egg whites right into my oatmeal while cooking it!! SOO good...makes your bowl of oatmeal huge, and you get the protein without having to eat a pile of egg whites :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Spinach, feta/goat cheese, and tomatoes (I add those towards the end though)
    Smoked salmon and onions
    Ham, onions and broccoli
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Yolks. I add yolks. :tongue:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I buy it fresh and cook it first so there's no liquid... then add the egg whites.

I often use one whole egg and 3-4 egg whites though... except with spinach. For some reason I just like the taste of egg whites better with spinach.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    I throw in a laughing cow cheese. Especially the chipotle flavored one.

THIS! I use 1/2 cup of egg whites and 1 laughing cow wedge chopped up, dash of salt, pepper, and onion powder...microwave for 2 minutes. Quick, low cal, and super delicious.
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've been on a big "eat the whole darn egg" kick, so I wouldn't skip out on the yolks entirely. It's where all of the nutrients are (and as much protein as the whites). At the very least, I'd eat one whole egg and throw in some extra whites.

When I was better about making breakfast, I'd chop white onion real fine and cook in olive oil with some spinach. I'd also try for another protein, like ground turkey or chopped chicken breast. Cook those guys together in the pan, then pour the eggs around it. Maybe also some cheese.

I add yolks to my egg white omelets.
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I always used fresh. The frozen stuff is hard to get dry enough & you'll have watery eggs. The real trick to omelets (or additions to scrambled eggs) is to make sure everything is warmed before you add it. There won't be enough time to cook the additions without over cooking the eggs. Particularly with foods that put off a lot of moisture (mushrooms or tomatoes), you should saute to pull out the water & drain (I even use a paper towel) thoroughly.

I like spinach more on the raw side, so I throw it in right at the end, but if you prefer it wilted, you can saute it with some onions & garlic.
    Now I'm hungry!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I make and egg white scramble with green onions and lean ham. I'm sure turkey ham would work also. The ham actually had less fat and calories and turkey so I went with that. I season with cajun seasoning or adobo. It's super tasty and I get to skip the cheese. I would cook the onions and ham until they are carmelized and then add to the eggs and scramble.
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    hmhalleck wrote: »
    I add egg whites right into my oatmeal while cooking it!! SOO good...makes your bowl of oatmeal huge, and you get the protein without having to eat a pile of egg whites :)

I do this as well. At first I thought it would be gross but I tried it once and was hooked. I add liquid egg whites to my instant oatmeal. I stir about every 20 secs to make sure it's getting mixed very well. Kinda reminds me of a souffle.