Facial tattoos...

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    This whole "can't get tattoos for career purposes" must be an American thing. I've never heard of anyone having this problem in Canada.
    You could get a job in a professional office, especially working with the public, with a facial tattoo? Your attorneys have them? Doctors? Politicians or their staff?

You can certainly GET a job in the US with a facial tattoo. But what profession you choose may dictate whether it's a good idea.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I work in the beauty industry. Nearly every day I have someone come in looking for tattoo cover up makeup because either they have a job interview and they want to hide their tattoo or they got a job and they have to hide their tattoo. 100% of the time the person has said they wish they never got the tattoo.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    To each his or her own, but I personally prefer to have my tattoos in places where they are easily disguised by my clothes if I feel like sporting a more conservative look.
  • you probably own khakis don't you

problem?

e61dec9608ba8e817919a03507dcb7fa.jpg

am i suppose to find him appealing?

If you want? The pic was a response to your comment about the khakis being something only a vanilla person would wear.

he can vanilla all over....... oh, wait, errr....

^That's what I'm thinking. I don't have a pissing clue who this person is in the picture, but dammit, he's fine.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    I feel that certain forms of personal expression fairly allow others to discriminate against the expression when in certain contexts.

What is something you do that you know you will be judged for and what is something you judge others for?

I wear crocs, and I know some people think I look like Bozo in my floppy clown shoes.

Mokos [facial/body tattoos] are pretty common in Oceania Pacific and moreso amongst Commonwealth nations, where they aren't perceived as a barrier to acquiring a job or advancement or admission into the better univerisites. It's tribal and many're politicians & Human Rights Advocates would bend over backwards to protect its preservation.

I like to wear my jandals[fit flops] whenever I can. I do know there are a group of men in LA and OC who are campaigning against the laxity portrayed by women who do not wear a pair of Manolos, when they're out. A friend of mine got handed a pair, after he thoroughly chastised her for not caring about her appearance. lol. We've all decided that they are beyond the foot and are certainly shoe fetish fiends. Sirah!! Judge on good sirs! Bwahahahh!

ETA: fix quote
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    I love when people mistake the desire to provide contrasting view points with anger simply because it doesn't fit into their own social constructs :smile:

You have no idea what my social constructs are nor should you assume that I am religious or anti-tattoo solely because I didn't want to follow you into your rabbit hole discussion of religion and ethics. One can judge someone pretty severely while holding liberal political views, as you seem to be demonstrating quite effectively. Perhaps, you should hold off on the assumptions and return to the topic at hand. Or not. Your choice.

The reality is that certain professions call for a certain appearance and demeanor that is quite similar across international borders because those professions are international in nature. There are exceptions. The criminal lawyer in Queens will get away with more than, for example, the financial lawyer in Toronto. Models will get away with more than bankers, for another, and I think that is where much of the disagreement about professional appearance is coming from in this thread.
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    This whole "can't get tattoos for career purposes" must be an American thing. I've never heard of anyone having this problem in Canada.
    You could get a job in a professional office, especially working with the public, with a facial tattoo? Your attorneys have them? Doctors? Politicians or their staff?

You can certainly GET a job in the US with a facial tattoo. But what profession you choose may dictate whether it's a good idea.

I work for the Provincal government and my boss has tattoos from feet to eyes. I have an attorney in my building with a tattoo like mine on her forearm. Doctors I've seen with tattoos. Janet Monroe had a face tattoo while on City Council in Ontario.
  • rml_16
    I noticed the attendant at the corner store seemed down so I inquired as to what was bothering him. He is probably about 25 or so and has tats all over him, including covering his neck. He said that he can't get going in any careers because no one wants to take on someone with all of the tattoos he has. He stated he was just a stupid kid when he got all the work done and now can't make enough money to get the extensive laser treatments it would require to get them removed. Sad stuff. As adults we must all realize the consequences of our actions and understand the real-world ramifications those actions may have on unexpected aspects of our lives, even if we don't agree with them. As parents, we need to teach our children, starting at a young age, to make good decisions based on all good and bad, present, and possible future consequences.

^ This for the real world.

This doesn't apply to all.
    Is it really that rare to have a real career and be tattooed?

Facial tattoos? Absolutely.

Other tattoos, not so much. Almost everyone I know has a tattoo, but all in places easily covered if needed.
  • rml_16

I work for the Provincal government and my boss has tattoos from feet to eyes. I have an attorney in my building with a tattoo like mine on her forearm. Doctors I've seen with tattoos. Janet Monroe had a face tattoo while on City Council in Ontario.
    So you can name two people with facial tattoos in those professions.

I'm sure I could find a city council member somewhere in the US with one, too. But it's not going to be the norm, by far. And you better have some stellar credentials to help people get past it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    I know a guy who got a facial tattoo of his kid's name. (from his second baby's mama) ...AND it was mispelled. CLASSIC!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQW_tNl7gBZqZeJXtdJRpLDo0Az8Ls5WPHISG5ZqQ9AYBTi6dem
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    I noticed the attendant at the corner store seemed down so I inquired as to what was bothering him. He is probably about 25 or so and has tats all over him, including covering his neck. He said that he can't get going in any careers because no one wants to take on someone with all of the tattoos he has. He stated he was just a stupid kid when he got all the work done and now can't make enough money to get the extensive laser treatments it would require to get them removed. Sad stuff. As adults we must all realize the consequences of our actions and understand the real-world ramifications those actions may have on unexpected aspects of our lives, even if we don't agree with them. As parents, we need to teach our children, starting at a young age, to make good decisions based on all good and bad, present, and possible future consequences.

^ This for the real world.

This doesn't apply to all.
    Is it really that rare to have a real career and be tattooed?

Facial tattoos? Absolutely.

Other tattoos, not so much. Almost everyone I know has a tattoo, but all in places easily covered if needed.

I guess some of my coworkers didn't get the memo... I'll let them know.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member

I'm sure I could find a city council member somewhere in the US with one, too. But it's not going to be the norm, by far. And you better have some stellar credentials to help people get past it.

I haven't had a job outside the home in a real long time...

...maybe I should get a tattoo?
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member

Do you even Canada?
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    23 years ago, as a young mom, I was looking for a part time job to help with bills.

I worked in the Veterinary field & having had the benefit of working in small hospitals, I could work in the capacity of every support role.

The only opening was at the front desk at the time (Queens Blvd, Forest Hills).

They made me take out my teeny 2mm stud nose piercing =(

They said it made the clients 'uncomfortable'
    :huh:

Funny thing is that they hired me with it, and all was well until a female manager who only visited the FH office once weekly, decided she didn't like it.
    :angry:

I ended up leaving that job for another one, who's management had no qualms hiring me with my abhorrent facial jewelry :laugh:

I worked as a CSR for a vet too. When I was hired they told me right away I had to take my lip ring out at work and I was okay with that. After about 2 weeks working there I was then told that my blue nail polish (which matched my scrubs) made the clients uncormfortable. It was just blue, no bling or anything crazy.

So for some reason I had to take my nail polish off but it was okay for another girl who worked mainly in the back but came up to the front go pick up/deliver the animals multiple times a day to have huge gages, visable tattoos, several facail peircings, and half her head shaved.

I don't work there anymore. I work with sailors/retired sailors and no one cares about my visable tattoos, let alone what color I paint my nails.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member

I haven't had a job outside the home in a real long time...

...maybe I should get a tattoo?

You don't? That's not very West Coast of you
  • JojoW8183
    JojoW8183 Posts: 540 Member
    I love when people mistake the desire to provide contrasting view points with anger simply because it doesn't fit into their own social constructs :smile:

You have no idea what my social constructs are nor should you assume that I am religious or anti-tattoo solely because I didn't want to follow you into your rabbit hole discussion of religion and ethics. One can judge someone pretty severely while holding liberal political views, as you seem to be demonstrating quite effectively. Perhaps, you should hold off on the assumptions and return to the topic at hand. Or not. Your choice.

The reality is that certain professions call for a certain appearance and demeanor that is quite similar across international borders because those professions are international in nature. There are exceptions. The criminal lawyer in Queens will get away with more than, for example, the financial lawyer in Toronto. Models will get away with more than bankers, for another, and I think that is where much of the disagreement about professional appearance is coming from in this thread.

You don't quite get it. I can't be bothered to explain. As someone who works with several high profile attorneys that are covered in tattoos...your argument is invalid.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member

Yes well, we do have something called the Human Rights Code which prohibits discrimination based on someone's appearance. I also work for the government and could tattoo my entire body if I chose to and not get fired. :ohwell:
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    I don't judge people with facial tattoos. I just wonder how they make a living . . .

Ha! I often wonder this myself.

That being said, I do my best not to dismiss someone or form a solid opinion about someone based on appearance. As my brilliant previous boss said to me once "it is just visual prejudice." Doesn't mean that I haven't grown up in a society that has trained me to think of facial tattoos in a particular negative way? No, it means that I make a conscious effort to give everyone the same chances... to be a friend, an employee, or whatever roll they are looking for that intersects in my life (in a positive way).
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member

You don't quite get it. I can't be bothered to explain. As someone who works with several high profile attorneys that are covered in tattoos...your argument is invalid.

Face tattoos?
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    I used to date this guy and his buddy's girlfriend had vampire teeth capped over her eye teeth and had a blood drop tattooed under her bottom lip. I judged. I am still judging.