FAGE - A Love Affair

Options

Replies

• karenh3585
    karenh3585 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have Fage 0% almost every morning. I mix in blueberries, blackberries, walnuts, chopped apple, pomegranate arils, cinnamon in different combinations but always with local, raw honey. When I remember the night before, I'll mix 1/4c rolled oats (raw, not cooked), 1/4c fage, 1/4 unsweetened almond milk for a yummy muesli the next morning (adding in some of the usual fruits / nut / honey). I prefer the 0% (even without the honey I think it tastes better than the 2%). It's yummy and keeps me feeling full until after my afternoon workout.

If you have a Costco nearby they have large tubs of the 0% Fage for $5.99. I think they're about 1-1/2 times the size of the large tubs that supermarkets carry.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I always used to hate yogurt, the texture and the taste. I also avoided it because some of them have so much sugar in such small portions! Then I discovered Greek yogurt. I go back and forth between Chobani and Fage and honestly I don't care much for the taste of it plain but I get creative. Sometimes I mix in a little apple sauce or peanut butter or protein powder and it is so filling and delicious!

Fage convert.

i bought a 1kg tub 0 of % total(fage) for a £1 last night on sale in asda.
    added a clementine and some mornflake oats(granola).
    do you just add a scoop of protein powder and mix for flavour/ added protein?
  • sleepyyy
    sleepyyy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ahhaha this post was awesome. I LOVE Fage.. tried others many times but it's never the same. :p
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I fell in love with Fage about 30+ (ahem) years ago, when it was called Total in the UK and my Mom used to buy it as a really special treat from some obscure hippy store. Then my love was rekindled in Corfu when I had it with peaches the size of grapefruit. Now I get it, love it all over again and use it as a starter for my own whole milk yogurt.

Can't stand ready-flavored yogurts. Revolting stuff. And Chobani.. I don't know. I struggle to buy something with such a silly name.
  • Shanahoo
    Shanahoo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I work with 6-8 girls and they have started a Chobani cult. They all eat their Cho's at the same time. If more than one person has the same flavor, than that is declared the Flavor of the Day. They throw tasting parties for new release flavors. When we interview potential hires, they ask them about their greek yogurt preference. You pretty much get shunned for liking anything but Chobani.

I am the lone Fage supporter in an ocean of Cho lovers. It's a rough life, but Fage is just a million times better.

I have to admit though, the key lime Chobani is my jam and I will never turn it down.
  • Summer4677
    Summer4677 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    LOVE Fage! Breakfast today was 1 cup Fage 2% mixed with 2TBS P2B peanut butter powder, layered with half a banana and a 100 calorie pack of plain raw almonds and walnuts. Best breakfast parfait ever.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I buy whole fat and mix in a tablespoon of Jello cheesecake pudding mix to make instant cheesecake filling. Most of the time I'll eat it with some Japanese cheesecake cookies or granola.

Holy crap. I need a trip to the grocery store to try that!

Ok so apparently, not only do i need to try Fage, but I need to buy some instant cheese cake pudding. Thanks. I wasn't planning on going to the store today....

:flowerforyou:
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I find the fat free version awful and wouldn't touch it with my wellies on!

That's because fat-free yogurt is sad in general.

I adore the 2% plain Fage, even convinced my usual grocery store to stock it!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I used to buy only Chobani, but I think the quality has really gone downhill in the last year. More often than not it's really runny, which it didn't used to be. That plus the smaller serving size for the same price has made me resolve only to buy it when I absolutely have to. Fage is so much better quality. I try to stock up when they're 10/$10, but I'm to the point now that I'm willing to pay the full $1.49 for them, too.

I had a full fat Fage a week or two ago and it was amazing. It tasted so decadent! I know what my go-to treat is going to be when I haven't hit my fat macro for the day. The closest store to me (a Giant--OP, you must be from central PA, too, if you're shopping at Weis!) doesn't carry the full-fat varieties, but I'm willing to make a special trip to another store to buy them now.

I'm at college here in PA. Back in Jersey we have Shop Rite. :P

and shop rite carries Cabot which is the same quality/texture as Fage- but costs almost half.

I also support the thick creamy yogurt + berries- I'm a big believer in yogurt +protein + berries.

SO NOMMMMMYYYYYY

226 gram low fat Cabot + 5 oz berries + 29 grams gold standard = 240 calories at 42 grams protein.

come on- that's just ridiculous. And delicious.
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I used to buy only Chobani, but I think the quality has really gone downhill in the last year. More often than not it's really runny, which it didn't used to be. That plus the smaller serving size for the same price has made me resolve only to buy it when I absolutely have to. Fage is so much better quality. I try to stock up when they're 10/$10, but I'm to the point now that I'm willing to pay the full $1.49 for them, too.

I had a full fat Fage a week or two ago and it was amazing. It tasted so decadent! I know what my go-to treat is going to be when I haven't hit my fat macro for the day. The closest store to me (a Giant--OP, you must be from central PA, too, if you're shopping at Weis!) doesn't carry the full-fat varieties, but I'm willing to make a special trip to another store to buy them now.

and shop rite carries Cabot which is the same quality/texture as Fage- but costs almost half.

I also support the thick creamy yogurt + berries- I'm a big believer in yogurt +protein + berries.

SO NOMMMMMYYYYYY

226 gram low fat Cabot + 5 oz berries + 29 grams gold standard = 240 calories at 42 grams protein.

Which is the calorie content of your protein powder? That is great that can get that much protein in that few calories.
  • lrdavenport23
    lrdavenport23 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    LOVE Fage! Breakfast today was 1 cup Fage 2% mixed with 2TBS P2B peanut butter powder, layered with half a banana and a 100 calorie pack of plain raw almonds and walnuts. Best breakfast parfait ever.

Sounds delicious! I must try this!!! :-)
  • cork1961
    cork1961 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks... Love Chobani, but will be trying this on my next grocery trip! Did not appreciate them reducing ozs and keeping it at full price either!
  • mmerry5
    mmerry5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I find Chobani to be much more bitter. I won't even buy it anymore. I just don't care for the taste. I will buy store brand mostly, or Fage when it's on sale or when I feel like splurging. I buy plain mostly and add my own honey or splenda. I find the flavored kinds too sweet, but will sometimes buy the 100 cal yoplait and add plain to it to cut the sweetness and give me a little more quantity for my snack.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I was a Fage lover all the way.... until I discovered Noosa. I left Fage on the corner in the rain without a backward glance and took Noosa to Hawaii to be my love slave. Best. yogurt. ever.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Chobani was my "first" greek yogurt and loved it since it was a perfect pre-workout. Like you I found Fage and fell in love. I find it to be thicker, creamier, and though more expensive the slightly bigger cups pack 20g of calories - a perfect "portion" size. I noticed calories went down in Chobani, too. Only by 10 but now that I weight lift that extra 10 makes a huge difference.
  • ShellyAnn46
    ShellyAnn46 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I felt the exact same way when I switched from Chobani to Fage. Chobani has that bite to it - Fage is just smooth!!!!!
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    *JUST* finished eating Fage plain 0% with microwaved frozen blueberries & ground flaxseed

It is awesome.

The love affair I have though is with noosa. Indulgent, not "diet" but seriously prefer it to cheesecake. If you haven't tried it, you must. Again it's not something to have every morning (at least not for me) but it's the greatest tasting food ever.
    Noosa! I only wish it came in mildly smaller containers.
    That and Greek Gods' salted caramel honey greek yogurt are my jams!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

SO NOMMMMMYYYYYY

Which is the calorie content of your protein powder? That is great that can get that much protein in that few calories.

It's Gold Standard Whey- which clocks in at 120 calories for 1 29 gram scoop- but I lied. I"M SORRY WILSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must have been using a different yogurt when I ran those numbers originally- a full serving of LOW fat cabot is 190 calories
    so
    190 + 120 + 60 = 370-

half a serving of yogurt = 275
    Half serving of protein = 310 (only 30 grams of protein though for the serving)

so I lied- I'm sorry- i must have been using mentally older numbers- I hadnt' check the stats on my more recent concoction.

Still 42 to 300 is not a shabby ratio- my stupid nut "protein" bar from nature valley are only 10 grams of protein and 190 calories LOL- id' have to eat almost 800 caloires to get that much protein.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    My fellow yogurt lovers,

Chobani daily for a few years. Then they built the Costco here and they carry FAGE, so that's the new brand for us. And when GMO's popped up in a portion of Chobani ingredients processing, that was also a consideration. The recipe is simple, let me add what I want, just give me the no fat high protein plain variety and a good price, which they do. I add in flax, wheat germ, chia seeds, blueberries and raspberries or strawberries and to get the right consistency, plain almond milk (because without it the mix is too dry). About 340 calories depending on how heavy handed I feel that day with all the adds. Delicious and no worries about being hungry til lunch time.
  • Muffie22
    Muffie22 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    fage is ammaaazzziinnng!! full fat all the way though (although low/no fat is good for baking)