Fasting?

Options
So I've lost 36 lbs since May, really getting into healthy eating. But I'm thinking of maybe doing a fast for 1 or 2 days a week where I'll drink green tea, water and only eat fruit veg and salads. Would this be a good idea? Has anyone else tried it? I feel that it will improve my health, clean my body and aid weight loss. I have read about detoxes that you do for a week or 2 weeks but I don't think its a good idea to jump straight into that as it will probably make you more likely to not follow it properly but a 2 day detox/fast seems a good idea to at least try.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't need any special detox. It is perfectly capable of cleansing itself on its own timetable.

If you are going to fast, research the 5:2 Intermittent Fasting method.
  • justlosingtheweight
    Options
    Thanks Branstin! I just read up on the 5:2 diet I've heard about it but assumed it was another fad diet but it actually looks quite good! I think I will try it next week :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    So I've lost 36 lbs since May, really getting into healthy eating. But I'm thinking of maybe doing a fast for 1 or 2 days a week where I'll drink green tea, water and only eat fruit veg and salads. Would this be a good idea? Has anyone else tried it? I feel that it will improve my health, clean my body and aid weight loss. I have read about detoxes that you do for a week or 2 weeks but I don't think its a good idea to jump straight into that as it will probably make you more likely to not follow it properly but a 2 day detox/fast seems a good idea to at least try.
    First, eating fruits and veggies is not fasting.

You will not improve your health by doing unhealthy things. I don't think much harm could come from just eating fruits and veggies one day a week, but you should ask your doctor.

Your body doesn't need cleansing and you can't cleanse it by fasting, anyway.

If you don't overeat on other days, it will help you lose weight.

Have you ever tried just eating well and exercising? That works, too. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot. :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You body doesn't NEED 'cleansing' or fasting but sometimes it feels good, in my opinion. I'm doing ADF and it's been great. Google JUDDD, for example.

And anything that helps you meet an overall deficit AND get more produce in gets a thumbs up from me.

Plus fasting can help you learn a lot about your hunger signals and your emotional responses to them.

A link someone posted the other day about naturally occurring toxins in foods:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3153292/
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    You are losing more than 1 lb per week and say you are focusing on healthy eating.

Why then you do think you need to work on your weight loss or cleanse your body? While what you suggest is unlikely to be unhealthy, it sounds like your current plan is working just fine.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    You are losing more than 1 lb per week and say you are focusing on healthy eating.

Why then you do think you need to work on your weight loss or cleanse your body? While what you suggest is unlikely to be unhealthy, it sounds like your current plan is working just fine.

^^^This x 100.

If it ain't broke...don't fix it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm all for trying new things and making your own decision but I wouldn't do the 1-2 week fasts, even as produce fasts. You've done great, why risk having major compliance or binge issues with something that drastic? I'd just do a day here and there and see how you react.