Hypothyroidism

Options
So after years of not being able to lose any weight I finally get an answer: Hypothyroidism.

So now I am wondering if there are any tips/tricks(/foods to avoid) to help me lose weight with having this issue ( I am taking the med. for it. )

Thanks!

Replies

• amy5454
    amy5454 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Get your medication sorted and hopefully the weight will start to vanish in time.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Get your medication sorted and hopefully the weight will start to vanish in time.

This. I'm hypo, but I get my T3 checked every 3 months right now because it fluctuates a bit with the proper eating and exercise. If I'm eating healthy foods and working out, my dose goes down, and the most important thing I can tell you is that it is SO important to always have the right dose. Taking too much can give you all sorts of heart and other health problems, and taking too little makes you feel awful, so make sure you're in constant communication with your doctor. After a while you'll start to know what it feels like when your dose is wrong, and it's important to get your blood work done when you start seeing those signs.

Just be aware that even with the proper medication, it takes a lot of hard work to lose the pounds, especially when you first start taking medications and the right dosage hasn't been found yet. They may need to adjust it several times before they find what works for you. There's a group dedicated to thyroid problems, and there's a lot of good information there - you may want to search for it. :)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is get a referral to a qualified dietitian who has experience working with patients with your health condition. He/she will help you create a weight loss plan that will work with your medication. Your macros (carbs, fat, protein) may have to be adjusted as well.
  • Mjones23456
    Mjones23456 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    As the rest have stated, meds are key. There are several options and getting the right one with the right dose can take a little time. In the mean time eat a lot of fruits and veggies to assist with your metabolism issues and you should start seeing results slow but steady. Good luck.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It can take a long time to get to the right dosage. Be patient. If you haven't been sent to an endocrinologist, get to one! If you follow no other advice, follow that!!!!!!

After I'd been on for a while and the levels became appropriate, I felt the energy difference. It wasn't just that I noticed I was doing more, I FELT more energetic. No more cycles of constipation and diarrhea. The cravings for carbs disappeared. The craving for constant food disappeared. I felt better and did more than I've done in my life. I told the doctor, "The last time I felt this good, I was twelve."

Not everyone has the remarkable about-face I had, because my thyroid wasn't functioning at all, so having the Synthroid literally changed everything - my whole life.

It doesn't make me like other people. I could never eat 1500 calories a day and lose weight. I see people talk about eating 2000 calories a day and losing weight and it seems like they live on some other planet, lol. That's just never going to happen for me. But I CAN LOSE. If I eat a normal amount of food and I exercise, I lose weight. That was never possible before.

I always say that with the exception of the birth of my son, my thyroid diagnosis was the best thing that ever happened to me. Sadly, it didn't happen in time to save my hair, but the pills fixed everything else.

I was off of it for a few weeks lately, and all kinds of bad things happened. Not at first, but it didn't take long. Lethargic. Craving food constantly, especially carbs. Constipation - OMG. And I started getting dizzy when I stood up, which is why I'm back on it. :)

I hope you have the success I did.

When people ask how I lost the weight, I say, "I take a pill." There is nothing I do now that I never tried before. I watched what I ate and exercised before. At best, I could stay the same weight. I'd starve myself and not lose. It's so nice to diet and exercise and know that it will help me lose weight! People whose bodies work could never understand the joy of having one that didn't...and then does!

Still not as easy as it is for some, but I'm losing and I'm happy as hell about it. :D

If you are half as lucky as I am, you'll be over the moon. But give it time. It takes months, sometimes, to get it all straightened out. :)
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    My wife has hypo and she thought the meds would be magic weight loss pills. NOT EVEN. She had to count calories and exercise like the rest of us...the meds just made the needle move for her.
  • trbkjb
    trbkjb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been hypo for about 15 years now. I steadily gained weight and they steadily increased my dosage. It doesn't matter what I do or how I eat, I cannot lose weight. My doctor even put me on temporary weight loss meds. They didn't work. The most I've ever managed to lose was 10lbs. I'm trying very hard to lose weight and it's so frustrating b/c people won't believe you. Being hypothyroid you have to exert twice as much energy as normal people to burn 1 calorie. So say you exercise for an 30 min doing cardio and for instance you calculate that you have burned 300 calories. Wrong, b/c you're hypo you've only burned about 150 if that. Hypothyroidism sucks!! I'm sorry if my response isn't as positive as the others, but this is my personal experience with hypothyroidism. I do have my levels checked regularly. For many people the medicine does help and they go on to lose weight. This was not the case for me so if you find yourself in my position, which I pray you do not, just know that it is possible to eat very little, exercise and still NOT lose weight. People won't believe you. I haven't found my answer yet, but I'm still searching. Good luck.
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My wife has hypo and she thought the meds would be magic weight loss pills. NOT EVEN. She had to count calories and exercise like the rest of us...the meds just made the needle move for her.

This is very important to remember. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's/hypothyroidism when I was 7, but even with the correct dosage of thyroid hormones (as others said, this can take time to achieve - endocrine system works slowly and it is a little of a guessing game) I have to work very hard for weight loss. Harder than others? I have no idea and try not to think like that. But personally, if I'm not watching what I eat very carefully AND exercising... good luck with results on the scale.

Someone else mentioned seeing an endocrinologist, and I second this. They're much better than a general prac. Also, be choosy of who you go to. I've had a few crappy endos before I got a good one. One just wanted to push a paid-for diet plan that happened go through his office and told me I'd get diabetes in 10 years if I didn't lose at least 25 lbs (I'm 5'5" and was 23 years old/145 lbs at the time)! I think some try and take advantage of assuming you're having a hard time with weight, which is a shame.
  • angel0123bv
    Options
    Hello hun,
    I am hypo also, and know the struggle with losing weight. It is possible to lose the weight, but I think the biggest issue with us thyroid patients is we have problems maintaining the weight because there is a constant struggle with how our body metabolizes food and burns energy. I know the feeling of being tired all the time, emotional mood swings from the doctor's always tinkering with my medication. It is a lot for us to even get up and move. So I totally understand where you are coming from. I am taking Armour thyroid and seem to be doing better on it than just regular levothyroxine. Well, I will add you as a friend and we an talk more on the topic if you like. Hoping you have a blessed day.
    angel
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    To me, that is magical.

No, weight doesn't fall off without work. But if you worked before and the needle didn't move...and now, when you work and it does move...it is magical!! Feels that way to me, anyway.

The drug companies made a wand and my doctor said, "Bippity, Boppity, Boo" and I could lose weight. I feel like freaking Cinderella (sans the beauty - that would take a bigger wand!) :D
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    Options
    I've been hypo for about 15 years now. I steadily gained weight and they steadily increased my dosage. It doesn't matter what I do or how I eat, I cannot lose weight. My doctor even put me on temporary weight loss meds. They didn't work. The most I've ever managed to lose was 10lbs. I'm trying very hard to lose weight and it's so frustrating b/c people won't believe you. Being hypothyroid you have to exert twice as much energy as normal people to burn 1 calorie. So say you exercise for an 30 min doing cardio and for instance you calculate that you have burned 300 calories. Wrong, b/c you're hypo you've only burned about 150 if that. Hypothyroidism sucks!! I'm sorry if my response isn't as positive as the others, but this is my personal experience with hypothyroidism. I do have my levels checked regularly. For many people the medicine does help and they go on to lose weight. This was not the case for me so if you find yourself in my position, which I pray you do not, just know that it is possible to eat very little, exercise and still NOT lose weight. People won't believe you. I haven't found my answer yet, but I'm still searching. Good luck.

I believe you.
    I always had trouble losing weight unless I did one of those VLCD (I know, I know). Two years ago, after doing one of those and losing 40 lbs I was determined to keep it off, so joined a gym, ate right (even went to a registered dietician and got a balanced, healthy 1700 cal/ day food plan), worked with a personal trainer... gained 40 lbs. Kept getting my TSH tested annually and it would come out normal, finally, after a year, went to an endo got a top to toe work up, diagnosis: hypothyroid (TSH level actually went out for her!) and insulin resistant. Great huh? got on the meds, get checked/adjusted regularly, sticking to my workouts, working with a personal trainer, eating right (called the RD after my diagnosis for any adjustments and she said if I was less active she would cut my calories, but because of how much I exercise, no way, keep it where it is), should be losing like gangbusters now, right? RIGHT???
    Yeah, I've lost 6 lbs in a year (all in the last six months when we thought my meds were finally regulated, and plateaued as of this month)... so I still don't have the answers either, but I haven't given up (next appt is in 2 1/2 weeks and if bloodwork is still going bad, she will adjust meds again).
    I get the same thing, nobody believes me, I MUST be doing something wrong, so I know right where you're coming from, don't give up, we'll find the answer (if you do, please share, it might work for me too)
  • tink11464
    tink11464 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hypo (and PCOS) here as well - - the only thing that works for me is lowering my carb intake. My sisters count calories (but they have no health issues) and they lose - - counting calories does not work for me. When I was pregnant with our youngest daughter carbs made me sick - couldn't eat them and I lost 41lbs while pregnant (after she was born I looked GREAT - haha). Needless to say - the desire for carbs came back (darn). Soooo for past year and half I have lowered carbs (and occasionally walking) and I am losing again :)