trans guy trying to lose weight

Options
Hey, my name's Ashton and I'm a soon to be 20 year old trans guy. I weigh about 210 lbs and I'm pretty short, 5'2", so ya know, I need to lose weight. I've been off and on this site for the past two years. Each time I end up losing up to 30 lbs but then I get distracted or unmotivated and gain it all back!

I'm also concerned about losing weight so that I can not only be healthier but also have a much safer and smoother transition down my path. I am not yet on hormones, but I hopefully will be by January. I plan to get on Testosterone and get Top Surgery, and who knows what else. If there are any other trans men on here feel free to talk to me, it's always nice to talk to one another. That goes for any LGBTQA+ people in general, I am an open minded guy.

Anyways, feel free to add me and maybe we can become friends!

Replies

• rebolaugh
    rebolaugh Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not trans but feel free to add me! I just wanted to say that you should go over to the LGBT groups if you haven't already, there are a bunch of trans guys and trans allies. Good luck on your journey!
  • ThePinkPanda
    ThePinkPanda Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    We've got a pretty good lgbt group on here as well: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/39-lgbt- give it a look and feel free to join. good luck!
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Good luck! We in the community especially need to take care of ourselves and support each other!

**Bs <3 Ts!**
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashton! Welcome to mfp =)

Sounds like maybe having some friends on here and a support group would help you stick it out this time. I'm uninformed about the process you're going through, but there are plenty of others here more informed than I. Definitely recommend checking out the groups mentioned above.

Wish you the best.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm just an average straight chick. I am very open minded though. Feel free to add me if you want.
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! And know there are a lot of great people on here who will support you. Add me, if you'd like!
  • ZhaoWei76
    ZhaoWei76 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow... I didn't even think about an LGBTQA+ presence here on MFP... That's great to know that that support is out there...

Friend request sent...

And anyone can feel free to add me as well....
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    your sexual orientation is irrelevant to weight loss.If you stick to the program you can still lose weight just like anyone else
  • rebolaugh
    Options
    Of course, but it's nice to find folks with whom you share things in common, and the OP in particular has specific concerns (upcoming surgeries, etc.) where it may especially be important to find people who have gone through similar experiences or at the very least are understanding and supportive. There are all sorts of groups on MFP that help connect people who have common interests or backgrounds.
  • rebolaugh
    Options
    your sexual orientation is irrelevant to weight loss.If you stick to the program you can still lose weight just like anyone else

Of course, but it's nice to find folks with whom you share things in common, and the OP in particular has specific concerns (upcoming surgeries, etc.) where it may especially be important to find people who have gone through similar experiences or at the very least are understanding and supportive. There are all sorts of groups on MFP that help connect people who have common interests or backgrounds.
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Trans isn't a sexual orientation. Like, you know that, right?
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Hey Ashton, I live in the Belmont shire area of long beach, ca and we have a huge community of lgbt and also the nations largest pride parade! :) there are rainbow flags everywhere! Most of my friends are lgbt and you can feel free to be one of them.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Don't add me....

Do us all a favor and shut your face. Seriously, go crawl back under the rock you came from.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I'm just a boring straight chick - but feel free to add me as well :)
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Don't add me....

I hate to keep quoting schmuckface up here^^ but Ashton, I am sure this is just a glimpse of the A-holes you have to put up with. I am sorry there are people out there like this but they are sad, angry souls. You keep being you, and hopefully things will get easier as people become more informed. Best of Luck in your weight loss journey and with your transition.
  • Jordan
    Jordan Posts: 307 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

4. Show Respect to All Groups and Individuals

No derogatory references to sex, gender, age, weight, body-type, disability, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, or endorsement of violence against any person or group, even if couched in humor, will be permitted. This includes expressing stereotypes about any group or community

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

No derogatory references to sex, gender, age, weight, body-type, disability, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, or endorsement of violence against any person or group, even if couched in humor, will be permitted. This includes expressing stereotypes about any group or community.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Michelle
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.