Dorm Dwellers! Campus food?!

Options
Hey guys! I was wondering how everyone maintains a healthy, balanced diet while a way at school?

I try to keep low cal foods mostly and eat fruits and veg, but I find it pretty hard sometimes as my school has terrible produce.
This semester I've been eating a lot of lean cuisines :( At least they're low call, right?

Do you ladies and gents have any tips or tricks?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I live in an off-campus apartment now, but when I did live in a dorm, I first loved my mom sending me back with tons of snacks. She'd load me up with nuts, fresh fruit, ect. I'd also go to the store and do the same. Buy snacks in bulk, and store anything perishable in your mini fridge or freezer.

I also loved the rice cooker I got for Christmas. I could actually "cook" in my dorm room. And not just rice! Could cook meat in there after steaming some rice or cooking some noodles, and I'd have an awesome balanced meal. There's tons of rice cooker recipes out there as well! Just make sure it's not a prohibited appliance in your dorm.

Also, if the produce isn't good quality, talk to the provider. There's been many times that students at my school have spoken up and gotten what they wanted just by asking!
  • Erilynn93
    Erilynn93 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Also, if the produce isn't good quality, talk to the provider. There's been many times that students at my school have spoken up and gotten what they wanted just by asking!

Thanks! Maybe I'll try that! It's a real pain going to the stores on campus to buy fruits and such because I have to dig through to find the best looking apples. I NEVER buy the oranges anymore because they look so gross. My mom wanted to buy me a mini crock pot for the dorm and I thought that was a silly idea, but maybe it's a good idea after all, haha. If it's allowed, of course.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Thanks! Maybe I'll try that! It's a real pain going to the stores on campus to buy fruits and such because I have to dig through to find the best looking apples. I NEVER buy the oranges anymore because they look so gross. My mom wanted to buy me a mini crock pot for the dorm and I thought that was a silly idea, but maybe it's a good idea after all, haha. If it's allowed, of course.

Definitely! And if it isn't, you can find a decent rice cooker for under $20. Mine was around $19, and it's a 12 cup Aroma rice cooker with a steamer built in as well.
    And, if you can find the means to go off campus, definitely do that. You'll get more for your money! Campus stores generally hike up the price pretty badly.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I was wondering how everyone maintains a healthy, balanced diet while a way at school?

I try to keep low cal foods mostly and eat fruits and veg, but I find it pretty hard sometimes as my school has terrible produce.
    This semester I've been eating a lot of lean cuisines :( At least they're low call, right?

Do you ladies and gents have any tips or tricks?
    Is your school dining run by Chartwells?
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I live in an off-campus apartment now, but when I did live in a dorm, I first loved my mom sending me back with tons of snacks. She'd load me up with nuts, fresh fruit, ect. I'd also go to the store and do the same. Buy snacks in bulk, and store anything perishable in your mini fridge or freezer.

I also loved the rice cooker I got for Christmas. I could actually "cook" in my dorm room. And not just rice! Could cook meat in there after steaming some rice or cooking some noodles, and I'd have an awesome balanced meal. There's tons of rice cooker recipes out there as well! Just make sure it's not a prohibited appliance in your dorm.

Also, if the produce isn't good quality, talk to the provider. There's been many times that students at my school have spoken up and gotten what they wanted just by asking![/b[]

Yes, to the bolded! I live off campus (er, I'm older and married and stuff, lol), but I do eat once or twice daily at the cafeteria, for convenience's sake. Find out who your food service general manager is, or better yet, see if they employ a registered dietician with whom you can speak or email.

A quick and polite email or phone call detailing your concern will be heard. I did the same on my campus, and I apparently wasn't the only one with concerns. This year, we have an expanded salad bar, with many more lean protein options (meat and vegan options), more fresh veggies (and they look GREAT), and expanded nutrition info available online (so we can count our macros and calories better).
  • Erilynn93
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, guys! :)

The only reason I do my real shopping on campus is my meal plan :/ Maybe I'll cancel it for next semester and just go to an actual grocery store.
  • sbenner17
    sbenner17 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    From a former Dorm Dweller and University Cafeteria worker, I can tell you from experience to send your thoughts and concerns to the people in charge of the dining services. They do make choice and change things based on what the students want. In fact where I use to attend, has since completely changed their cafeterias and are so much healthier then they use to be.
    Good luck and keep your motivation going!
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    I lost the first 40 lbs eating in the school cafeteria. Its not easy!

Try googling dorm room food hacks or something like that. You would be shocked at the amount of foods you can make in a hot pot, rice cooker, or even the hot surface of your coffee maker! Maybe you could get a crock pot? My school cafeteria had a salad bar, a cereal bar, and sandwich bar so I stuck to those since I could easily calculate calories. The only other options at my school were pizza and fried foods. I would rather have a gigantic salad than one piece of pizza for the cals, so even though it wasn't the most tasty semester I ever had, the 40 lbs was worth it!
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    If Lean Cuisines are getting old, have you tried the canned progresso soup? One can is about 200 cals and they're really good for quick college meals! And only $1.50 a can so maybe cheaper than Lean Cuisines as well.
  • Erilynn93
    Options
    I do have a few soups, problem is, the soup selection here at school is rather minimal. But they do have the basic vegetable soup and tomato soups and such so it's not all terrible haha
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Jesus, university life in America sounds terrible! I can't imagine a year without a kitchen (we had a cooking rota and made amazing dinners in my halls of residence in first year of uni).

Try to buy fruit at a market or somewhere and stock up for a few days. That way you're more likely to get good quality produce and cheaper than on campus.

If you just have access to a microwave, learn a few things to make in one. I don't own a microwave so am a bit short on ideas, but you could at least do things like scrambled eggs for a change from the ready meals.

The idea of getting a slow cooker to use in your room is a good one - you can easily make a stew with some chicken, vegetables and something to add flavour (wholegrain mustard and honey is a good combo).
  • refinley2
    refinley2 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Dorm food is the devil. On a meal plan, freshman 15 easily turns into freshman 40, because there's so much food and it's usually scrumptious and unlimited. Ain't nothing wrong with a well balanced selection of Lean Cuisines
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Dorm food is the devil. On a meal plan, freshman 15 easily turns into freshman 40, because there's so much food and it's usually scrumptious and unlimited. Ain't nothing wrong with a well balanced selection of Lean Cuisines
    When did dorm food become "scrumptious"?
  • Erilynn93
    Options
    I've been a bit afraid of eating in the actual cafeterias at school lately because I found a cockroach in the salad bar one night :sick: :sad: Soooo I've been steering clear of that lately. I think I might just cancel my meal plan next semester and go to the actual grocery store. I'd save money AND have better choices. And I can just use regular money if I do want to buy something on campus anyway.