Most Important to you - Calories, Fat or Carbs???

Options

Replies

• Arshfirru
    Arshfirru Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Fr me calories first then carbs...im scared of carbs bt I eat lot of carbs in my everyday life...
  • 19vickb87
    Options
    I focus on calories . always seems to work for me . I keep and eye on everything else as well
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    purely for weight loss? calories. period. i've experimented with other stuff, like low carb, low fat, etc, but the only thing that affects my weight loss is number of calories.

i track other stuff for health. protein - want to be sure i get enough, then fiber. since i'm type 2, next comes carbs - not for weight loss (see above) but i can control my blood sugar by staying at or under 20 grams of carbs per meal. i tend to go under on fat most days.
  • drazani
    drazani Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    For me calories come first as my primary goal is to lose weight, then protein (as i strength train) and fat (as i want to make sure i vet enough for hormones and vitamin absorbancy) my carbs work themselves out.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Person of interest, The Blacklist then probably Elementary!
  • Phill2488
    Phill2488 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Calories is the only thing I focus on
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    For me, it should be fat first, but in my heart, it's calories.
  • nomorecakeKP
    nomorecakeKP Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Macros - Protein carbs and fat. But I've set my own ratios for them as per my activity needs and fitness goals.

Whilst adhering to said calories.

I'm at 40-20-40 right now, so hoping that will work for me.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Calories, while making sure I hit or exceed my protein goal. I find if I do this, whether I am in a cut or bulk cycle, everything else seems to pretty much fall into place. Also I find I'm pretty strict with myself about making sure I hit my protein goal, but fat and carbs not so much, because like I said they pretty much work themselves out.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't log on here, but my biggest concerns are calories, sugar and satisfaction.
  • Rocket_Man44
    Options
    Macros - Protein carbs and fat. But I've set my own ratios for them as per my activity needs and fitness goals.

Whilst adhering to said calories.

I'm at 40-20-40 right now, so hoping that will work for me.

Depends what you do really ?

I box 2 times a week and weight train 4 times. I need more Carbs = energy and enough Fat = Hormone productivity and satiety.

Since I'm cutting bodyfat , I keep protein around 1 gram per pound of body weight.

So it really depends on what your activity levels are.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Overall? Calories. In terms of macros, I find I rarely go over on total fat/carbs, although I often go over on protein.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    1 calories
    2 exercise.

will re- evaluate after 3 months.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    the portion of food which i guess translates to calories
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised nobody has reposted this yet...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

It puts Calories, Carbs, etc. in its correct context.
  • Carolynnr59
    Carolynnr59 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My counselor has me focusing on carbs first...she suggested 40-60 per day. I wanted to beat her up the next time I saw her, but realized this was an area for me to shoot for which has made it a little easier to handle!
  • moraiwebird
    moraiwebird Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Calories, Protein, Fiber. In that order.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Calories are definitely the most important for me.

After that, I try to make sure I'm getting a good amount of protein, then I just let carbs and fat fall where they may, although they're generally in line with MFP's goals - I guess that's why I haven't really taken much care about them.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Calories are most important for me! I find on my most satisfied and energetic days, I hit my protein, go over on my fat, and am under on my carbs and sugar.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I watch everything and just keep it out of the "red zone."