protein shakes

Options
What's peoples opinions on protein shakes ? Thinking of giving some lean whey a try . its supposed to help with weight loss . ( I do follow a calorie controlled diet ) any body used lean whey ?

Replies

• zman1313
    zman1313 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you are on a weight training program they are a great way to meet your protein macros for the day. If you aren't exercising heavily there are cheaper/less caloric ways of satisfying your hunger
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    They are a way of conveniently adding protein to your diet, nothing more. they don't bring any magic property's
  • 19vickb87
    Options
    I spend at least 4-5 hours at the gym every week doing cardio/weights . I'm not expecting any miracles from a drink or anything
  • zman1313
    Options
    I spend at least 4-5 hours at the gym every week doing cardio/weights . I'm not expecting any miracles from a drink or anything

The main reason to up your protein intake is to give your muscles the fuel (protein) they need to recover from a strenuous workout. The protein shakes in and of themselves will not help you lose weight. It is possible, however, that they will help you work harder for longer in the gym, which paired with the right diet will help you lose weight.

If you are on a weight lifting routine the general guideline is is 1gram of protein per pound of bodyweight
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I use pure protein vanilla. low carb, low calorie and 25g protein
    mix with water or milk, yummy!

**ETA I use the shakes directly after my heavy lifting work-outs. recovery, I guess you could say.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I don't do weight-lifting but I was having trouble hitting my protein macro every day. Since I started drinking one whey protein shake every day, I'm now getting enough protein. I feel like I have a little more energy overall but that is, of course, my subjective opinion.

I also think they are yummy. You can check my diary to see what I throw in. I make it a meal.
  • laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am on a high-protein, limited carb diet. If I do not get enough protein from food, I am supposed to have a shake. I usually use Designer Whey protein with milk and frozen fruit to make a smoothie. I do not have them everyday. Yesterday I didn't have any protein handy for breakfast besides Quaker Protein oatmeal, so I made a smoothie with protein powder and juice and ice.

I don't think they help you lose weight except that protein makes you feel fuller and helps your muscles, which helps you burn fat. As long as you watch the calories on your protein powder (some of them are really high) and make sure it fits into your nutritional goals, it doesn't hurt to add them.
  • saminsocks
    Options
    I've used some protein shakes in the past, although I've yet to find one I like as much as Shakeology, but I don't like the price tag of that. I much prefer fruit smoothies, so I've started making them with plain Greek yogurt. There's lots of protein in that and a small amount in the fruit juice I use. And if I add a bit of dark leafy greens it boosts it even more. As a bonus I get additional vitamins. On days when I do a particularly strenuous workout, I'll usually make a smoothie and a single egg omelet right afterward.
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    No magic to protein shakes. They are just a quick and easy way to add protein.

I usually have one immediately after my morning workout. Then if I am still hungry after showering I grab something like greek yogurt.
  • zman1313
    Options
    I don't do weight-lifting but I was having trouble hitting my protein macro every day. Since I started drinking one whey protein shake every day, I'm now getting enough protein. I feel like I have a little more energy overall but that is, of course, my subjective opinion.

I also think they are yummy. You can check my diary to see what I throw in. I make it a meal.

Making it a meal is another great idea! I have my shake in the form of a smoothie every day. 1 scoop (well 2 but that's the serving size) protein, a half cup of vanilla greek yogurt, 6oz skim milk, and a serving of frozen berries. It's delicious, nutritious and filling
  • simoneg14
    simoneg14 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have been using protein shakes after every workout for the last few years, i use natural hemp protein, it tastes bad but due to me cutting our cows milks it is easily digested. I don't use it as a meal replacement just to help restore my muscles.