Plateau

Options
I was doing really well losing weight for awhile. I lost 36 pounds in 2-3 months, so it was coming off slowly, but I know that's healthy. The past 3 weeks, though, I have stayed the same. Nothing is coming off. I also don't feel like I'm losing inches. I drink tons of water and have really been watching what I eat. Any suggestions for overcoming a plateau?

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Your tracking is inconsistent. I suggest you start by tracking all of your activities over the next month then reassess. In addition, use a food scale if you are not currently using one.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Consistently and accurately weigh measure and log your food so you know what your eating which you're not doing now . Over the past few days one is logged and that has questionable entries. Have a look at the link it will help with accurate logging

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress so far!

In addition to what's been noted above, after a 36 lb loss you likely require less calories than you did when you first started. Have you recalculated your numbers and adjusted your daily intake accordingly?
  • LacieW85
    LacieW85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get back in the habit of tracking. I was sick for awhile, so I did not track like I should have. Hopefully things will start to turn around soon.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    A plateau is just when people think they're doing everything right, but they are actually eating at maintenance. So you just need to eat less and/or burn more, and you'll lose weight.
  • lmann72
    lmann72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get back in the habit of tracking. I was sick for awhile, so I did not track like I should have. Hopefully things will start to turn around soon.

I think you answered your own question with your response. If you aren't tracking, you don't know how many calories you've put into your body - so you're probably eating more to maintain. Also, if you've been sick, you probably have been more sedentary that you've been previously, so less burn.
  • stonecutter099
    stonecutter099 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A plateau is just when people think they're doing everything right, but they are actually eating at maintenance. So you just need to eat less and/or burn more, and you'll lose weight.

THANKS! That's exactly what I was looking for. Been levelled out for a month and a half! I'll be thinking of these words in the coming weeks - hopefully back on track.

I have a question. I have been told a theory, (which I hope is false), that if one was to be too far under the caloric intake target that you will stop losing weight. Is there an opinion of truth around this? For instance, if i'm supposed to be taking in 1950 Cal and am stopping in the 15-1600 range is there going to be a problem where my body thinks it's starving and hoards everything? Sorry for the silly question on my first post. (Been lingering around for a while and haven't posted)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This is the problem then.