Let's talk about Chili

Options
13»

Replies

• Rwheltsley
    Rwheltsley Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Then how are you tracking calories if you don't know. Wait, this is a calorie counting website, right?

When you enter a recipe - you enter the total amount of each ingredient used (e.g. 2lbs beef, 1 can beans, etc.) - If the poster above gets 5 equally portioned amounts out of 1 recipe, he can take the total and divide by 5 for an accurate count of calories per serving. Wait, that is the definition of a SERVING, right?

Though, I do appreciate your use of condescension for not giving you an answer in imperial measurement form. You really showed him.

EDIT: In an effort to not be a complete smartass, my recipe makes ~5 qts. so each serving is 2.5 cups.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    1 tablespoon oil
    5 pounds pork roast, cubed
    1 large onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic
    2 teaspoons each ground cumin and ground coriander
    6 jalapenos, deseeded, roasted, peeled
    6 Anaheim chilies, deseeded, roasted, peeled
    2 jalapenos, chopped with seeds
    1 large can of tomatillos (I think it's 28 ounces)
    Chicken broth
    bay leaf
    Salt, pepper

Brown the pork a little at a time, remove from pot. Saute the onions and garlic in the oil. add the spices and stir until fragrant. Add all the remaining ingredients and the pork, plus enough chicken broth to cover the meat. Cover, cook until pork is tender. Remove the lid, cook until the juices are reduced a bit so the chili is thick enough for your taste. Add more pepper and salt to taste if needed.

THANK YOU!!! This sounds wonderful!
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I also cook competitively - chili, ribs, wings, bbq in general. Best success has been with chili. I tweak my recipe based on the crowd that's expected (chili die hards get hotter and the color has to be more accurate - whereas a "charity event" will garnish less spice and more meat...etc.)

This is the recipe that has gotten the best results - I am undefeated with this particular recipe; 4-0. I'm not saying it is healthy, or fat free, or anything... it's just excellent chili. I’d classify it as a medium-hot spiciness. You can cut down on the spice by leaving out the habanero flakes, or cutting down on the peppers used.

I plugged it all into MFP and this is what I get per serving (makes 8 servings):

604 calories / 37g protein / 55g carbs / 26g fat

-1.25lb ground sirloin 90/10
    -0.75lb chorizo sausage – loose, not in the casing
    -1 medium sweet onion - diced
    -4 cloves minced garlic
    2-packets McCormick chili seasoning
    1.5 teaspoon dehydrated habanero flakes
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    1- 46oz can Red Gold tomato juice
    2- 10oz cans of diced tomatoes (Rotels with chiles)
    1-15oz can of dark red kidney beans – washed and drained before adding
    1-15oz can of chili hot beans - added as is, with juice
    1-15oz can of black beans – washed and drained before adding
    1 Anaheim pepper – de-seeded - diced
    1 Serrano pepper – de-seeded - diced
    1 Poblano pepper – de-seeded - diced
    8oz Porter beer – I use Founder’s Porter
    Salt
    Pepper

The spices I listed were to taste, not exact - so take those measurements as guidelines not rules. Also, for competitions I will buy whole cumin seeds – toast them lightly in a skillet, then grind them fresh in a coffee grinder for a lot more aroma – but the ground cumin you can buy works just fine.

Instructions:

Brown ground beef and chorizo in a large pot. After browned, drain the majority of the fat in the bottom of the pot. Put all spices, diced onion and minced garlic back in and stir so that spices are mixed well. Continue to brown meat until the onions are opaque. Add the tomato juice, diced tomatoes, and diced peppers. Bring to a boil and add the beer. Simmer until the peppers are cooked through (~25 minutes). Lastly, add the beans and cook another approximate 15 minutes until the beans are tender. Adjust flavor with more pepper flakes, salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder as necessary. My one tip is that you will use a LOT more chili powder than you expect. Don’t worry, add liberally.

Oh this one too!! I'm excited to try both - wonderful recipes!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own version of what goes in their chili, but here's my meat suggestion:

* Cook a whole small chicken in the crockpot. LET COOL and de-bone. Then use everything but the bones in your chili.
    * Add pork, and beef chuck.

The 3 meats together taste great, and the shredded chicken parts add a great texture.

The rest of my ingredients: bell peppers, onion, garlic, chili powder, cayenne, jalepenos, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, & pepper. Sometimes some black beans, sometimes not.
  • likewhoa712
    likewhoa712 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about making a white chicken chili soon.. but I may have to try some of these

I LOVE your ticker picture lol
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    One large sweet potato, cubed
    One large onion, diced
    One large red bell pepper, diced
    4-5 cloves garlic, minced

Saute those in a couple tbs of olive or coconut oil in a large pot for about ten minutes.

Add a pound of ground turkey breast and let that brown with the veggies for another ten minutes, breaking up the bits with the spoon and stirring it all up.

Add one can pumpkin puree
    One can red kidney beans
    One can diced tomatoes
    2 tbl chili powder
    2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    Shake of cayenne pepper
    Up to one cup of chicken or vegetable broth

Stir it up. Simmer for a half hour.

Boom
  • release_the_kraken
    Options
    I saw this topic the same time TLC "Waterfalls" started playing on Spotify so I had to come in here..it must have been a sign. Great recipes..
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I love chili! This sounds like a delicious recipe but I wonder how many calories, fat, carbs, etc are???? Do you have an idea?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Good post. I just had chili today for lunch!

Cilantro
    Franks red hot sauce
    Black beans
    chicken breast
    crushed tomatoes
    onions
    chili and garlic powder
    black pepper
    That's my quick and simple chili
  • vtemp2013
    vtemp2013 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I usually do a plain bean chili since I'm a college kid on a budget. It normally comes out to five dollars or less for the whole pot, while still being low cal and filling. However, I made a pumpkin chili recipe yesterday. It was so good! And still super cheap and simple.

1/2 onion, diced
    minced garlic to taste
    1/2 cup pumpkin puree (I would have liked more, though.)
    1 can of black beans
    1 can of garbanzo beans (I subbed for light red kidney beans. Just as good!)
    1 can diced/stewed tomatoes (I used one can and then added a diced fresh one)
    cumin
    chili powder

All you do is saute the onion and garlic in a little oil for around five minutes, then add everything else. Be sure to salt and pepper before the cumin or chili powder, or you may add too much spice since the real flavors haven't been brought out by the salt yet. I love it spicy, though, so I just dumped as much in as I could stand. Bring it to a boil, and then simmer until thick ~20 minutes or so. I added a dollop of sour cream to my bowl once it was done, too. It made it just a tad creamier and offset the heat.
    This also freezes well, so it's ideal for those of us cooking for one!
  • RamonaFr
    Options
    As for calories, I figure out the calories for each ingredient, and get a total for the entire recipe. Once it's done, I measure what I've got -- how many cups in the case of chili -- and figure out the calories per cup. Then it's just a matter of recording how many cups I eat.

Same thing when I make bread. I figure out the total calories for the whole recipe, weigh the bread when it's done, and divide the total calories by the number of ounces. Then I know how many calories per ounce. Then I just weigh the slices of bread to know how many ounces per slice.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I have two.

White chili:
    2 pounds BL/SL chicken breasts
    1 can/4 ears corn
    1 can canellini beans
    1 can black beans
    1 (small) can diced green chilis
    cumin to taste
    chili powder to taste
    1 diced bell pepper
    1 block cream cheese
    1 cup whole milk
    Sour cream, avocado and cheese to garnish
    Throw everything in the crockpot (except the milk and garnish) with cream cheese on top. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Stir in milk and cook 30 minutes more. Add garnishes of your choice. Delicious served with tortillas/chips.
    I haven't made this yet since I started logging, so I don't have any nutritional information. I suspect I'll be using skim milk and low fat cream cheese when I do get around to making it this fall.

Red Chili:
    1# ground beef
    1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
    1 can/2 ears corn
    2 diced bell peppers
    1 diced jalapeno
    1 can mild chili beans
    1 can kidney beans
    1 can pinto beans
    red pepper flakes to taste
    chili powder to taste
    This one I do on the stove, browning the meat, then adding everything else to the pan and simmering it all day. 6-8 hours or so. I also tend to add whatever things catch my fancy as I'm making it. As written, it's 266 cals per cup.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Bumping for scrumdidlyumptious-sounding chili ideas. :)
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    that would involve cooking
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    My "Lazy Cowboy" Chili :laugh:

1 pound of Ground Turkey Breast, browned, don't drain (I keep a few bags of pre-browned Ground Turkey in the freezer)
    1 15oz can of (specifically) STAGG Chicken Ranchero flavored Chili
    1 15oz. can of reduced sodium Diced Tomatoes with diced Jalapenos, produce and juice
    1 15oz can of low sodium White & Yellow Corn Kernels, drained & rinsed
    1 15oz can of reduced sodium Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained & rinsed
    1 15oz can of reduced sodium Black Beans, THOROUGHLY drained & rinsed

Throw it all in a slow cooker/crock pot, on low, with enough water for your choice chili thickness/soupiness for four hours or on high for 2 hours, stirring every once in a while to distribute flavors.

I also make Honey Jalapeno Corn Muffins to serve with this. :drinker: