what to do if one is not losing weight on a low carb diet?

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    For those others reading this, the answer is "it depends on the person." I know many people who have lost without a deficit.

Based on what do you "know" they lost without a deficit?

CaptainobviousChooseOption.jpg

Why the h*ll would they lie? For all we "know" you haven't done anything you say in your food diary or profile and everything you say in posts is a lie. If we are going to go around "*kitten*"uming everyone is a liar, we'll never get anywhere. I belong to a forum of many, many people who have done NK while not at a deficit. Forums full of thousands of people lying? That's an awfully grand conspiracy theory...

The first law of thermodynamics dictates that body mass remains constant when caloric intake equals caloric expenditure. It should be noted, however, that different diets lead to different biochemical pathways that are not equivalent when correctly compared through the laws of thermodynamics. It is inappropriate to assume that the only thing that counts in terms of food consumption and energy balance is the intake of dietary calories and weight storage....Samaha et al. randomly assigned 132 severely obese subjects to a low-carbohydrate or calorie and fat-restricted (low-fat) diet [17]. Seventy-nine subjects completed this six-month study. It should be noted that the difference in consumption of energy from carbohydrate was quite narrow: 51% in the low-fat group and 37% in the low-carbohydrate group. Total energy intake at the 6-month mark was 1567 kcal/day in the low-fat group and 1630 kcal/day in the low-carbohydrate group. Thus, the low-carbohydrate group consumed 54 extra kcal/day. Nevertheless, the low-carbohydrate group lost 5.8 kg (and was still losing weight at 6 months) vs. 1.9 kg (leveled off) in the low-fat group. Both groups were given an exceptional number of contacts with "experts in nutritional consulting", so the possible placebo and nocebo effects would be even more intense here [18]. Greene et al. found that people eating an extra 300 kcal a day on a very-low-carbohydrate diet lost a similar amount of weight during a 12-week study as those on a low-fat diet [19]. Over the course of the study, subjects consumed an extra 25,000 kcal that should have added up to about a 7 pounds weight gain; it did not. The study was unique because all the food was prepared at an upscale Italian restaurant, so the researchers knew exactly what they ate, and one could not argue that diets were not palatable. (an excerpt from this paper: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129158/)

But, as no one reads other peoples studies on MFP and/or refuses to accept them out of sheer stubbornness... I'm certain that you will say none of the results in any of the studies cited in the paper (31 of them) were valid.

This is a good one, too, and discusses why the whole "calorie is just a calorie" nonsense violates thermodynamics. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC506782/

But for every study or paper there exists an inverse study or paper proving why the first one was BS. So for every calorie-deficit study, someone will post a ketosis paper that is in direct defiance, and we're stuck on a giant, stupid, pointless wheel.

That's ok. I have indeed lost just under 45 lbs and have pictures as evidence to prove my fat a** isn't so fat any longer. I do indeed eat bacon and a lot of meat and fat, to my husband's annoyance, but he's happy with the shape my body is taking now and wouldn't have it any other way. But I could be lying about that... :wink:

b]
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    I lost about 30 lbs (really FAST) on Atkins when I was in my 20's. It was because the diet was so restrictive, and I got so sick of meat/cheese, that I essentially just stopped eating. I believe I uttered these exact words before dropping the diet: "I would rather starve to death than eat one more bunless burger".

"Diets" are so much fun. :indifferent:
  • For those others reading this, the answer is "it depends on the person." I know many people who have lost without a deficit.

Based on what do you "know" they lost without a deficit?

CaptainobviousChooseOption.jpg

Why the h*ll would they lie? For all we "know" you haven't done anything you say in your food diary or profile and everything you say in posts is a lie. If we are going to go around "*kitten*"uming everyone is a liar, we'll never get anywhere. I belong to a forum of many, many people who have done NK while not at a deficit. Forums full of thousands of people lying? That's an awfully grand conspiracy theory...

The first law of thermodynamics dictates that body mass remains constant when caloric intake equals caloric expenditure. It should be noted, however, that different diets lead to different biochemical pathways that are not equivalent when correctly compared through the laws of thermodynamics. It is inappropriate to assume that the only thing that counts in terms of food consumption and energy balance is the intake of dietary calories and weight storage....Samaha et al. randomly assigned 132 severely obese subjects to a low-carbohydrate or calorie and fat-restricted (low-fat) diet [17]. Seventy-nine subjects completed this six-month study. It should be noted that the difference in consumption of energy from carbohydrate was quite narrow: 51% in the low-fat group and 37% in the low-carbohydrate group. Total energy intake at the 6-month mark was 1567 kcal/day in the low-fat group and 1630 kcal/day in the low-carbohydrate group. Thus, the low-carbohydrate group consumed 54 extra kcal/day. Nevertheless, the low-carbohydrate group lost 5.8 kg (and was still losing weight at 6 months) vs. 1.9 kg (leveled off) in the low-fat group. Both groups were given an exceptional number of contacts with "experts in nutritional consulting", so the possible placebo and nocebo effects would be even more intense here [18]. Greene et al. found that people eating an extra 300 kcal a day on a very-low-carbohydrate diet lost a similar amount of weight during a 12-week study as those on a low-fat diet [19]. Over the course of the study, subjects consumed an extra 25,000 kcal that should have added up to about a 7 pounds weight gain; it did not. The study was unique because all the food was prepared at an upscale Italian restaurant, so the researchers knew exactly what they ate, and one could not argue that diets were not palatable. (an excerpt from this paper: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129158/)

But, as no one reads other peoples studies on MFP and/or refuses to accept them out of sheer stubbornness... I'm certain that you will say none of the results in any of the studies cited in the paper (31 of them) were valid.

This is a good one, too, and discusses why the whole "calorie is just a calorie" nonsense violates thermodynamics. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC506782/

But for every study or paper there exists an inverse study or paper proving why the first one was BS. So for every calorie-deficit study, someone will post a ketosis paper that is in direct defiance, and we're stuck on a giant, stupid, pointless wheel.

That's ok. I have indeed lost just under 45 lbs and have pictures as evidence to prove my fat a** isn't so fat any longer. I do indeed eat bacon and a lot of meat and fat, to my husband's annoyance, but he's happy with the shape my body is taking now and wouldn't have it any other way. But I could be lying about that... :wink:

b]

LOL.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Well someone has their knickers in a twist tonight :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • baconslave
    Well someone has their knickers in a twist tonight :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm twisted, my knickers are not. It's not fair to malign my innocent knickers in such a manner.

tumblr_ls7nbbHBUM1qf9zb0o1_500.gif

:laugh:

Not upset at all. Really. Just laughing at the absurdity of it all.

I think it's time to hold a service for the horse. It should be laid to rest. There's going to be no coming together. Oil and water = keto and MFP.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    I'm still patiently waiting for someone to tell me if I need to remain in a calorie deficit for low carb to work.
    Yes.

Thanks you for your considerate response. You're much nicer than that bacobits person that keeps posting yawning smileys. I wish all of MFP were more like you
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I'm still patiently waiting for someone to tell me if I need to remain in a calorie deficit for low carb to work.

Unless you have access to a lot of test and analysis equipment you don't know if you're in a calorie deficit, but you do need to oxidise more fat than you eat for low carb to work.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member

Since I started low carb about 10 weeks ago, I've kept track of everything in a spreadsheet, and must say I was curious to see if what I lost was more than what I would have expected to lose with the calorie deficit from my intake. Things vary, like water retention, etc, but from what I've seen with myself, the difference between the two was pretty minimal, a couple of pounds. I mostly attributed it to the water loss that's associated with a lower carb intake, and the reduction of my bodies internal glycogen/ carb stores, and the reduction in water your body retains due to reduced glycogen stores.

Just my experience, but it led me to believe low carb is just a good way to keep to a caloric deficit, as opposed to their being some molecular black magic going on. Same with paleo and other eating programmes, as it was quite easy to see how difficult it was to eat a substantial amount of calories when you cut out the filler and junk foods that give you calories, but little else. Its easy for me to wrap my head around, but it seems difficult for others, probably because they're thinking fat is so calorically dense, wouldn't it simply be so easy to pile on the calories, but what I've found is no, its actually quite difficult to eat amounts of fat beyond a certain point, likewise with protein, as your body tells you quite quickly you're full, whereas with carbs, it seems to take quite a bit longer and usually beyond the point you've eaten enough, to realise you're full, and probably were 10+ mins ago.

In any event, I'm not sure if your question was genuine, but the above is my experience, and happy to talk more if you want to drop me a message, as given the direction this thread has taken, I don't intend to encourage it by posting anything else here :)
  • baconslave
    Yes.

Thanks you for your considerate response. You're much nicer than that bacobits person that keeps posting yawning smileys. I wish all of MFP were more like you

Oh dear...Remember when you said this:
    jeez. i had no idea of the sorry plight of the MFP low carber. it must be awful for you guys to have to actually support your claims! imma go ahead and pin a yellow ribbon on my lapel just for you guys. or maybe i should dump a bucket of rice on head and tag other people on facebook?

That wasn't all that considerate a response...So you can see why I might not have responded favorably to you.
    So pots and kettles, or if you prefer "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

Oh, yes...and :yawn: For your benefit entirely since you love it so much. :laugh:

Have a fine day. I'm off to workout.

Keep working it, whatever plan you all choose. :heart:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    portion control
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I lost about 30 lbs (really FAST) on Atkins when I was in my 20's. It was because the diet was so restrictive, and I got so sick of meat/cheese, that I essentially just stopped eating. I believe I uttered these exact words before dropping the diet: "I would rather starve to death than eat one more bunless burger".

"Diets" are so much fun. :indifferent:
    Last I looked Atkins wasn't just "meat and cheese".
  • I can understand your frustration. I have been on a low carb diet for a little over a month now. My calories for wt loss of about 1 1/2 lbs per week is 1200 cal. I am having difficulty getting to 1000 cal/day, since I don;t like vegetables unless they are cooked. I'm also getting very tired of chicken. Fruits have so many carbs that they have to be limitted.
  • Carolynnr59
    Carolynnr59 Posts: 9 Member
    I think the key word there is "moderation.":smile:
  • DavPul

Since I started low carb about 10 weeks ago, I've kept track of everything in a spreadsheet, and must say I was curious to see if what I lost was more than what I would have expected to lose with the calorie deficit from my intake. Things vary, like water retention, etc, but from what I've seen with myself, the difference between the two was pretty minimal, a couple of pounds. I mostly attributed it to the water loss that's associated with a lower carb intake, and the reduction of my bodies internal glycogen/ carb stores, and the reduction in water your body retains due to reduced glycogen stores.

Just my experience, but it led me to believe low carb is just a good way to keep to a caloric deficit, as opposed to their being some molecular black magic going on. Same with paleo and other eating programmes, as it was quite easy to see how difficult it was to eat a substantial amount of calories when you cut out the filler and junk foods that give you calories, but little else. Its easy for me to wrap my head around, but it seems difficult for others, probably because they're thinking fat is so calorically dense, wouldn't it simply be so easy to pile on the calories, but what I've found is no, its actually quite difficult to eat amounts of fat beyond a certain point, likewise with protein, as your body tells you quite quickly you're full, whereas with carbs, it seems to take quite a bit longer and usually beyond the point you've eaten enough, to realise you're full, and probably were 10+ mins ago.

In any event, I'm not sure if your question was genuine, but the above is my experience, and happy to talk more if you want to drop me a message, as given the direction this thread has taken, I don't intend to encourage it by posting anything else here :)

Thank you!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I can understand your frustration. I have been on a low carb diet for a little over a month now. My calories for wt loss of about 1 1/2 lbs per week is 1200 cal. I am having difficulty getting to 1000 cal/day, since I don;t like vegetables unless they are cooked. I'm also getting very tired of chicken. Fruits have so many carbs that they have to be limitted.
    It would seem to me if you don't like vegetables...low carb is going to be a challenge.
  • DavPul
    I can understand your frustration. I have been on a low carb diet for a little over a month now. My calories for wt loss of about 1 1/2 lbs per week is 1200 cal. I am having difficulty getting to 1000 cal/day, since I don;t like vegetables unless they are cooked. I'm also getting very tired of chicken. Fruits have so many carbs that they have to be limitted.
    It would seem to me if you don't like vegetables...low carb is going to be a challenge.

not to mention unhealthy. 1000 cals of dry chicken and no fruits or veggies sounds like a bad idea to me. any method chosen has to be rounded out so that a person gets exposed to a full nutrient profile, and this is sounding deficient.
  • You might try an exercise program to build muscle without over training. I'm sure there are a lot of these programs available. I am using Charles Webb's "Metamorphosis" as my guide for nutrition and exercise. His exercise program is 30 to 40 minutes three days a week. Muscle burns calories even while you are at rest.
  • Early_Riser
    Early_Riser Posts: 127 Member
    Switch to low calorie
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I'm just here to learn more about losing weight while at a net calorie surplus.
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Look at me! I am telling you LOW CARB DOES NOT WORK! I've been doing it for several years. Poor me, I have lost all my muscle due to all that fat and diet sodas I drank. I was so week from not having carbs I could only work out with weights for an hour followed by 30 minutes of cardio. I was starving myself on 2000 to 2500 calories a day!

God I love Sarcasm! LOL

FG8KZbTB.jpg