Eating and Working out

Options
Hey Everyone I just want some opinions on a few things:

1. Do you eat then work out or visa versa? (or does it really matter)
2. Do you give yourself a cut-off hour where you dont eat past a certain time at night?
3. Can you over work out... Is it ok to work out every single day?

Thanks in advance for all your opinions and tips....:smile:

Replies

• EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I work out early in the morning on an empty stomach.. I try not to eat anything after 7pm.. If I do (like I have the munchies like crazy) I go for air popped corn (3 cups for like 90 cals) or grapes (i love grapes!).. I think that you should give your body at least 1 day off a week.. I was going crazy with the exercise for a while, but got really burned out on it.. So I work out 5-6 days a week now.. Hope this helps.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I have something to eat about 2 hours before I work out.

I do eat in the evenings, but try to only have green tea or water within 2 hours of bedtime.

I work out 5-6 times per week - I like to have a day or two off. I don't know if it is necessary or not, but I like it. :)
  • ieatstickers
    ieatstickers Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    1. I normally eat then workout. That way my metabolism benefits from the energy food gives it. I don't think it matters whether you eat before or after, as long as you're exercising.
    2. Well, yes and no. I try not to eat any later than 6 or 7. Sometimes I do eat much later, almost at midnight. It doesn't hinder my weight, but other people's bodies work differently. I know my mom can't eat past 6 other wise she bloats like crazy. Lol.
    3. I workout every single day, so I would say it's totally fine. If you feel up for it, go for it. However, don't overwork yourself. You don't want to risk injury or exhaust your body. As long as you get in at least a good hour of cardio exercise, you should be good. :)
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I eat nothing before my morning workout...but I do a workout video in the afternoon, and of course I've eaten something before. I try to wait at least a half hour before working out though.
    I haven't been really strict with the cut off hour, but I think its a great idea. That's a great goal to set, and it will show a lot of self control :)
    I don't think working out every single day is a good idea. I workout 6 days a week with 2 light days and 4 heavy days. i think if you do too much too fast, you are going get burnt out and just give up.

good luck! :)
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    hhhm it seems as though everyone does something different. this may mean that the answers to your questions are 'it probably doesn't matter. whatever works for you." :happy: and of course, i also do things differently. here it is anyway:

- i eat and then work out. i've tried to eat after my work outs before and i discovered that i just feel tired and thirsty for my whole work out if i do that. even for my morning work-out, i will drink some water and eat half of my breakfast or maybe just fruit before my work-out and then 'finish' my breakfast afterwards. i also do several quick work-outs throughout the day, every day. they're usually after lunch and dinner (and in between breakfast of course). i know its not a popular way to do it, but it works for me.

as for a cut-off for eating, i've learned that i wake up famished without a little night snack so i now allow myself a snack about 2 hours after i eat dinner every day.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    1. Yes- Eating something light an hour or more before I work out gives me WAY more energy
    2. Yes- Nothing but water for the 2 hours before bed time. I can't say 7 or 8 because sometimes I don't even get HOME until then. I just make sure that I give myself that digestive time frame. (my doctor recommended it and it actually helped with my sleeping too!)
    3. DO NOT work out 7 days a week. The building of muscle and strength doesn't happen WHEN you work out... it happens during rest. You should take at least 2 days off a week to assure your body can heal. (especially if you're lifting).

my 2 cents for what they're worth! :bigsmile:
  • tripray
    tripray Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a little something if I work out first thing in the morning. Like a banana or some light yogurt. Then eat my breakfast after I cool down. I try not to eat anything after 8pm. And if I do it is something like air popcorn or an apple. Make sure you are drinking lots of water, particulalry on days that you exercise.

hope this helps!
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    1. I have a banana or string cheese or a cup of milk before I workout (I workout at 4:30 am) I feel more energetic
    2. I stop eating a few hours before bed
    3. I take one day off from working out, my Dr and trainer recommended that.
  • jsaldivar2015
    jsaldivar2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1. I usually eat a snack before i work out. I work out right after work so if i wait until after i workout i eat way to much for dinner. Typically i eat a fiber w/ protein. Apple & peanut butter, or whole wheat crackers/pita chips and cheese, my new favorite is frozen yogurt i use yoplait light they have about 100 calories and i freeze it for bout 2 hrs. so nice in the summer time

2. I usally have a little something before i go to bed like a glass of milk or skinny cow fudge bar mini

3. Your body needs time to rest and recover. I walk my dog every day but i only work out at the gym 5-6 times a week. If you dont give your body time to rest you wont be able to work out at your full potential
    I hope this helps! Good luck and make sure to drink plenty of water!!!!
    !
  • MrsKelly73
    Options
    Interesting info....
    I still don't know what to do though!! LOL
    My husband always tells me to eat something right away in the morning to jump start your metabolism. But I'm never hungry first thing in the morning, my coffee holds me over till 9am (wake at 5).
    So In my mind I'm thinking if I eat...and then exercise I'm giving my body the energy to perform and my body is going to burn off that food I just eat faster?

HELP!!