Couch to 5K Support!

Options
So, I have never been a runner. I'm 23 years old, have been overweight my entire life, and have asthma. I am currently on week 4 of the Zen Labs Couch to 5K program, and I've pleasantly surprised myself so far and have been able to keep up with it.

I've been checking out the outline of upcoming workouts, and I'm trying not to freak out here. In only two weeks from where I am now, the program wants me to run 20 minutes straight. Right now the most I've run is 5 - it's been hard, but I've done it. I've registered for a 5k that will take place on November 1st, and I'm confident that as long as I stick with this I will be able to run that.

So my question is this - anyone else here who has struggled with running and successfully kept up with this program? What have your experiences been?

Replies

• jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I can't help you but i am looking forward to see the answers you'll get. I want to run a 4 km race in one month. Today, I ran intervals (1 min.run/30 s. Walk). I really wonder if I will make it at this rate. Does C25k really work?
  • SusKatCas
    SusKatCas Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have worked with a Running 101 program the last two summers.
    1) Hang in there.
    2) If you don't run 20 straight the first time, no biggee, just stay after it.
    3) Worst case, you run 10 and walk a little for your 5k. Guess what you still finish.

Everyone who has come to our program and done the majority of the workouts has finished the 5k.

Have fun with it.

Cheers, Alan
  • echoslug
    echoslug Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing first time I used the couch to 5k. Had a complete freak out about the 10 minute intervals cause the fiv minutes were leaving me wiped.

Stuck with it and did the 10 min day. Man was that day tough. Oddly enough though when the 20 minute run came around I was able to run it no problem. I even tacked on another 7 minutes of running I was feeling so great. It was amazing!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Be careful .. I injured myself in week 4, and not on day 1 either. And I am not overweight by any measure, just beginners luck.

So .. I ride my bike now, and leave the running to others. I would look it up .. but running injuries are very very common.

Don't want to be a downer, but beginning runners that have never run before need to be aware of the risks. Simple physics .. it is not a easy thing on your body. Walking is much better for you, but I know you do not get that rush as you do with running.
  • ImpracticalGirl
    ImpracticalGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    As of today, I'm officially running week 5 day 1. I ended up repeating week 3, and then week 4 a couple of times to build stamina and courage. Like you, I couldn't fathom moving up to longer running intervals. And in my books, 5 minutes repeated 3 times over is looong. Before I started C25K, I had not been able to run more than 200 feet without running out of breath.

My strategy is to move onto the next segment when I feel the current one getting easy - as in I don't want to stop running when Laura says it's time to cool down and walk :smile:

Keep up the good work!
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    I did competed the C25k program this summer and signed up for my first 5k the end of August.

I have never been a runner and am over 50 years old.

I also looked ahead and freaked out. And i shouldn't have. It was fine. Stick to the program. I NEVER had to repeat a day. I ran my 5k and finished in 37 minutes. Not too bad for my first run.

So my advice? Don't look ahead. Do each day and do your best. You will be fine.
  • RoaringMice
    RoaringMice Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did this program, and it really does truly work. I've reached the point where I can run 30 minutes straight through. I am very, very slow, so that's no where near a 5K yet, but I'm working on it.

I did this for fitness and weight loss... well, that's what I tell people. But in reality, I wasn't able to run around with my daughter, and seriously, that's what prompted me. I wanted to be able to take off with her without having to think about it, and to keep going without pooping out in a couple of minutes.

When I did the program, I took longer on most weeks - what they did in, say, week 3, I did for week 3, 4, 5... working my way up to doing their "week 4" in week 6, etc. But it worked, no injuries thank goodness. The program itself says you can do this - you can repeat weeks, or go more slowly if you need to, so don't be afraid to do so if that's what you need to do. I mean, I couldn't do 10 minutes of running in the week they assigned it. It simply was not possible for me, so I adapted the program and took it slower (running 5 minutes one week, 6 minutes the next, etc.), and that worked for me.
  • VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    There's a great group here for C25K support and discussion :happy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Stick with it!!! I did the same app in January and had great success with it. I had not run a mile since I was a freshman in high school and that was 19 years ago, lol!! Since then I've run five 5K races, a 6k and have registered for my first 10k at the end of the month. It is one of the best things I have ever done for myself!! You got this!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K, and now I regularly run 30 minutes, 3-4 days a week. I'm very slow, so I'm not running 5k in 30 minutes, but I'm getting there :) Anyways, week 5 day 3, the 20 minute run is more of a mental challenge than a physical one. Trust the program, take it slow, repeat weeks if you need to. You can do it!! (Have fun!)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I have not done that program but I did start walking which turned into jogging and then into running and got me to

29509743.png[/url

This past Sunday I ran my first 15k in 1:26:29

Good Luck
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time with the initial few weeks of the C25K program I used July of 2013 as well (I'm slightly overweight per BMI, although I think anyone that thinks a size 10 is overweight is ridiculous AND I have asthma AND I was pretty out of shape when I started).

I struggled through my initial C25K program - it did get better. My first 5K kind of sucked. Side cramps, the works. Thought I was going to puke at the end (this is a common denominator every time I do a new distance in race form). But! I had already signed up for my 10K a couple months down the road so I upgraded to the 5K to 10K program... and discovered that I like endurance. I'm not a sprinter, still dislike 3 mile runs. But anything above 4 miles to wherever I've trained to? It's a sweet spot for me. Slow and steady, which eventually gets faster. Before I raced my first 10K I signed up for my first half marathon. Before I raced my first half marathon I signed up for my first marathon. Etc.

What I'm saying is that it DOES get better. And I'd totally recommend signing up for a 10K before you finish your 5k. Or at least another 5K. It keeps your momentum going so you never have an excuse to stop running.

(I would maybe not recommend running a marathon, I'm currently questioning my life choices, but who knows, maybe I'll do another marathon in the spring.)

P.S. It's okay to walk at times (I still do). Or jog slowly. You're only competing against yourself.

P.P.S. Make sure you get a gait analysis done and make the investment of a solid pair of running shoes, even at the 5K level. You'll prevent a lot of common injuries that way. None of that running in old four year trainers you've had in your closet forever.
    So, I have never been a runner. I'm 23 years old, have been overweight my entire life, and have asthma. I am currently on week 4 of the Zen Labs Couch to 5K program, and I've pleasantly surprised myself so far and have been able to keep up with it.

I've been checking out the outline of upcoming workouts, and I'm trying not to freak out here. In only two weeks from where I am now, the program wants me to run 20 minutes straight. Right now the most I've run is 5 - it's been hard, but I've done it. I've registered for a 5k that will take place on November 1st, and I'm confident that as long as I stick with this I will be able to run that.

So my question is this - anyone else here who has struggled with running and successfully kept up with this program? What have your experiences been?
  • jennnnn2u
    Options
    Anyways, week 5 day 3, the 20 minute run is more of a mental challenge than a physical one. Trust the program, take it slow, repeat weeks if you need to. You can do it!! (Have fun!)

This. I redid week 5, day 2 so many times because I couldn't believe that I could possibly run 20 minutes. I finally did it last week and it really wasn't so bad! I discovered that audio books do a great job of distracting me and time flies by.
  • aburley
    aburley Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Ive completed c2 5k 2 times previously (once aroung july this year but didn't eat right during and literally stopped working out right after completion), each time being able to jog 30mins straight by the end of it! Now Im doing the c2 10k program which at the end I should be able to jog 60 minutes straight. the c2 10k starts exactly like the c2 5k program for 8 weeks, and then the 10k part is 6 weeks which may take me longer ;) Im doing a 5k 11/8 and my first 10k in feb 2015. Im currently right under 300lbs ;) hope this encourages someone!!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

C25K Grad here.
    The 20 minute run freaks everyone out. But you'll be ready. It is, at that point, a bit of a mind game and you'll need to keep your focus. Be prepared with good music, an audio book or whatever distraction you need to just concentrate on, try not to think about your legs and what they are doing.
    The program is designed to prepare your body for the 20 minute run and it knows you're ready and now it's up to you to realize that you're ready.
    (whatever you do.....try very, very hard not to look at the time. It has the potential to throw your confidence off. Just keep going for as long as you can and don't look until you've thought (2 or 3 times) that the time must be close)

You can do this. You'll be ready. It's a nerve wracking day, though.

PS: if you really start to feel like you won't make it, slow down. Don't stop, just go slower.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    There's a great group here for C25K support and discussion :happy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-

This is a great group. I highly recommend it.
  • CourtLloyd
    CourtLloyd Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program about 11 weeks ago. I was also never a runner! I was lucky if I could get a half mile in without dying! The program is awesome. Stick to it and stay motivated! In just 9 weeks I went from 0-3 miles and ran my first 5K! It's amazing to think what can happen in just 9 weeks! Get some good music going in your ear buds and fight through the first 15-20 minutes and you will be set!!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The trick to the 20 minute run on week 5, day 3, is to set out at a slower pace than on your earlier runs. After that, it's a mental game.

If you're following the Cool Running C25K program (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml), week 4 is actually harder than w5 d3, because you go from 9 minutes of running each day to a whopping 16 minutes. I modified week 3 so that it involved 12 minutes total: run 1:30, walk 1:30, run 3:00, walk 3:00, run 1:30, walk 1:30, run 3:00, walk 3:00, and run 3:00 - i.e., I added another 3 minutes of running at the end. That made the transition to week 4 a lot easier.

The C25K subreddit is another good source of support (and for Reddit, it is very supportive): http://www.reddit.com/r/C25K
  • nriviecc
    nriviecc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of the encouragement and stories of your own success with the program! Week 5 day 3 was yesterday for me, and I COMPLETED THE 20 MINUTE RUN! I was so relieved when it was over, and so proud of myself for being able to get through it. Obviously I've still got a few weeks left, but now that I've proven to myself that I could do 20 minutes straight, I can't wait to see what else I can do!
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I completed Couch to 5k several years ago, and have repeated it a few times. Yeah, that middle week can cause a bit of a freak out, but give it a shot. You just might surprise yourself. However, if you don't feel ready for it, its ok to repeat weeks. Pay attention to what your body says, and if it doesn't feel right drop back to week 4 for another week and try again.