Calorie Deficit Question (Be Nice!)

Options
*** Keep flames to yourself! This is an honest question, so be nice! ***

Ok, first, here is what I 'know' based on all the online info out there...

3,500 calories equals 1 pound of body fat
You need a calorie deficit to lose weight - calories in must be less than calories out
500 calorie deficit a day equals a loss of 1 pound each week (3,500 weekly)
1,000 calorie deficit a day equals a loss of 2 pounds each week (7,000 weekly)

However, based on weeks of charts, logs, and weigh ins, I seem to need a weekly deficit of about 5,000 calories in order to lose roughly 0.4 lbs. Anything under 3,700 results in huge gains (2+ lbs usually). That would mean instead of 3,500 to lose a pound, I'd need about 10,000. That seems a bit crazy to me.

I'm in my early 30's, 5'6", obese level 3, and trying to lose baby weight 3 years after gaining it, so I'm expecting a rough time losing. I'm pleased to report I've dropped 14 pounds so far, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something since it is going so slowly. I'm not 'dieting' - I eat my fill at every meal and try to exercise 10-60 minutes each day. No junk food, soda, etc. and plenty of water and whole foods (I cook almost daily and choose carefully at restaurants). I use a Garmin Vivofit to monitor my calories out and it's linked with MFP.

Does anyone have a similar situation?

...Remember, please be nice!

Replies

• LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food (in grams)? If you're using measuring cups or choosing a 'medium' item etc. that's only an estimate, so you're probably underestimating your calories.

If you are accurately weighing everything, then I'm not sure what's going on - sorry!
  • carlynrb
    carlynrb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first started and that's when I learned all calories are not equal. I worked with a trainer and nutritionist, and Googled A LOT. I have changed my calorie breakdown to 25% carbs, 45% fat and 30% protein from my daily calories. I do work out 3-4 times a week and the weight is coming off, not as fast as I would all like but you know the saying "you didn't gain it overnight." Stick with it and find what works for you.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I am with the person who asked how carefully you are measuring your food. Weighing all solid foods, and using volume measures (cups) for liquids will make it clear if you are actually eating the amount you are logging. BTW, small differences add up over the day, so estimating amounts generally will not work. That is especially true if you, like me, have been over weight for a long time. Generally when that is the case, what we think of as a single serving is much more than what the nutrition label says is a single serving.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. If I tried to eat 1700 calories a day, I would gain. I have to eat less than average to lose. Not complaining! I'm just happy I can lose after so many years of trying!!

But what works for Sam may not work for Janet.

We all have to walk our own path. Find what works for you and do that. :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary but was hoping to so I might be able to figure out what's happening.

In general, yes, what you said about 500 calorie deficit a day is the case. But it's all approximate. What your TDEE is an estimate. The amount of calories you realize from different foods is an estimate. How much you burn through exercise is REALLY an estimate. And finally, most people who are trying to lose weight (and research confirms this) tend to underestimate how much we are eating. We really do need to measure everything we eat carefully, preferably by weight in grams.

So, if you want me to, send me a message with the key to your diary and I'll take a peak and see if anything I can identify is going on.

Yes, I know, I haven't lost much weight this time yet but when I am eating at the 500 calorie a day deficit I lose like clockwork.

Heidi
  • robrsmith
    robrsmith Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you're only losing .4 pounds per week (good for you!), it's probably because your deficit is smaller than you think it is.

.4lb * 3500cal/lb = 1400cal deficit

5000cal - 1400cal = 3600cal difference

So, you're underestimating your intake or overestimating your output by about 3600 cal. This makes sense, because as you say, when your deficit is less than 3700cal, you gain a lot. That's because you're ACTUALLY not in a deficit, but eating at maintenance and storing glycogen and water. Take a look at what you're eating and how much excercise you're getting and re-evaluate. You might try weighing everything you eat. Good luck!
  • MystifiedFluff
    MystifiedFluff Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies (and no flames, wow!) Here's some more info since some of you asked.

I have a scale and weigh everything in grams (drives my husband nuts btw). My calorie breakdown is almost exactly as recommended too, sometimes a bit high on the fat side, but that's usually only when I have salmon so it's 'good' fat, lol.

I will not open up my diary to anyone, sorry. However, typical meals range around 300-500 calories for breakfast and lunch with dinners ranging from 800-1,400 calories (including nights out). No snacks.

I usually stay under on all stats except for sodium and occasionally sat fat (once every 2 weeks or so). I have tried to limit sodium as much as possible, but it is impossible to get under the recommended - I shoot for getting no more than 1,000 over. I drink tons of water daily to help flush the extra and I don't have blood pressure issues (based on doctor checkups) so I don't think that is causing a problem.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back exercise/earned calories? If you're truly logging every bite, then you may be overestimating your burns.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    My other question would be are you sure the database entries you are using are correct? I ask because there can be a huge amount of variation between them.

if calories in is correct, then the problem has to be in calories out.
  • MystifiedFluff
    Options
    I don't consciously eat back my calories and my Garmin estimates my burns. It is possible it is overestimating, but not by nearly as much as the generic calculators tend to (MFP included). One would think an hour long recumbent cycling session (12+ miles at level 4 resistance) or treadmill walk at my fastest pace (2-3 miles) would be enough exercise for the day though. I'm certainly exhausted afterwards.
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    you said you go over on sodium. are you drinking enough water?
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm confused because you mention a weekly deficit of 5,000 but what is your basis? Like what are you subtracting it from? What is the TDEE you have calculated and what is your daily calorie goal.
    I doubt it's that you need a 10,000 deficit, I assume it just means you are over-calculating your TDEE to begin with. What calculator did you use? If you tell us your current weight we can also help you come up with a TDEE -20%
  • fuenyface
    fuenyface Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    First off, good job! Never discredit the amount of work you are putting in. I'm seeing a lot of great stuff that people have already said, so I'll only add something I think is missing.

Use measuring tape! By only using the scale, I didn't realize how much I am actually losing, which is really discouraging. With a combo of both scale and measuring tape, I got so much more encouragement that my hard work was actually paying off.

Also, water is so, so, SO important in all of this and watch your sodium.
  • MystifiedFluff
    Options
    I'm confused because you mention a weekly deficit of 5,000 but what is your basis? Like what are you subtracting it from? What is the TDEE you have calculated and what is your daily calorie goal.
    I doubt it's that you need a 10,000 deficit, I assume it just means you are over-calculating your TDEE to begin with. What calculator did you use? If you tell us your current weight we can also help you come up with a TDEE -20%

I don't go by TDEE since it would have me eating double what I am regardless of the calculator I've tried. I use my vivofit as I've mentioned which tracks my activity 24/7 including sleep. It links with MFP where I log everything I eat. What I have is a Calories In/Out section on Garmin Connect that takes what I consume (MFP), subtracts my active calories (total calories minus BMR calories; don't ask I actually don't know, lol) to give me a net amount and a 'left over' amount based on MFP's 1,830 calorie amount which is already a 500 calorie deficit. Example: Yesterday I consumed 1,761 calories minus 122 active = 1,639 net. My left over was 191 calories. Therefore I had either a 569 calorie deficit yesterday or a 691 calorie deficit. If every day was 691, that's 4,837 weekly deficit. I use open office to keep track of everything and do the math since I'm hopeless with numbers.
    Use measuring tape! By only using the scale, I didn't realize how much I am actually losing, which is really discouraging. With a combo of both scale and measuring tape, I got so much more encouragement that my hard work was actually paying off.

I do a weekly body comp and measurements - hips, waist, arm, and thigh. The crazy thing is my measurements aren't showing improvement - not just week to week, but month to month. I'm either static or getting larger depending on the location. If I didn't notice my Body Fat % and Skeletal Muscle % improving when I first started, I would have been really worried since the scale wasn't budging either. 19% SM isn't great (it's supposed to be about 24% for me), but it's higher than when I started in January and the 14 pounds so far was pretty much all fat.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Do you use the MFP weight loss plan? If you go to My Home, Goals, what does it expect you to burn per day? Or I can figure it out with your weight and activity level.

If you're eating 2400, you'd need to be burning 3400 per day to lose 2 pounds a week. That's quite a bit but you might be. But if your average intake is say 2200 and your average loss is say .5 lb/week, that implies your average burn is more like 2450. Which doesn't matter for much, except to know that if you want to lose 2 lbs. a week, you'll need to go down to 1450 in intake.

All I'm really trying to say is the '3500 calorie to a pound' isn't negotiable. What you need to back into is your total burn (or at least the one implied by what you log and what you lose, though water weight issues will affect that latter.)

Good luck!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Do you use the MFP weight loss plan? If you go to My Home, Goals, what does it expect you to burn per day? Or I can figure it out with your weight and activity level.

If you're eating 2400, you'd need to be burning 3400 per day to lose 2 pounds a week. That's quite a bit but you might be. But if your average intake is say 2200 and your average loss is say .5 lb/week, that implies your average burn is more like 2450. Which doesn't matter for much, except to know that if you want to lose 2 lbs. a week, you'll need to go down to 1450 in intake.

All I'm really trying to say is the '3500 calorie to a pound' isn't negotiable. What you need to back into is your total burn (or at least the one implied by what you log and what you lose, though water weight issues will affect that latter.)

Good luck!

This. There's nothing wrong with the formula...3500 calories does equal 1 pound of fat. Calories in vs. calories out determines gain/loss. A 500 calorie deficit per day = 3500 per week = 1 pound gone. These things are facts.

The problems come with either calories in or calories out are incorrect. This can happen when your initial daily burn is calculated incorrectly, or the food diary is calculated incorrectly.

To eliminate the first possibility, check your estimated TDEE on several different sites and see how they compare. Also, keep in mind that this is an estimate, as your personal metabolism might be slightly higher or lower than the average. You might also use a fitness tracker to get a better grip on how much activity you really do, and how many calories you really burn. Also, if you're recording your exercise in MFP, keep in mind that it estimates calories burned rather high, so it might be misleading you to think you're burning more than you are.

To eliminate the second possibility, make sure you weigh everything, and log it accurately according to that measurement. Scan barcodes whenever possible to avoid accidentally picking the wrong item. Check and double check listings against package info.

And finally, just in case your metabolism is off from average, after you've made sure all of your numbers are accurate, track for 30 days on a spreadsheet. Calories in, calories out, and weight. If the numbers don't make sense, raise and lower the calories out by 100 until they do make sense. That should be your actual TDEE.
  • 1bkblack
    1bkblack Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for 9 months now and have lost 35 pounds. I had to go to a nutritionist and the first thing he did was a metabolism rate test. If you haven't had one it made the difference for me, because after the test he sat down with me and went over the results. He counseled me on veggies, fruits, water, calorie burn and I bought a fitness watch and downloaded MyFitnessPal and made up my mind to just "do it". .I always thought eating 1400 -1500 calories was adequate it wasn't, the nutritionist had me on 1300-1325 immediately, now I'm up to 1350 - 1400 depending on how much I run...keep pushing the results will come....Good Luck.:flowerforyou:
  • ozone000
    ozone000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't like TDEE because it combines things that are easier to figure out if kept separate. It's easy, but easy isn't always good is it?

Calories out is BMR + NEAT + EAT + DIT (which can be disregarded as unalterable)
    Calories in is protein + fat + carbohydrates + alcohol + fiber (which can be disregarded as negligible)

You likely know the calories in, but let me explain the calories out (and stop reading here if you forgot to add those 10 shots of vodka every night, that's your problem! :)

BMR, if you don't already know, is your basal metabolic rate. It is how much you burn laying in bed all day without moving a muscle. Heart, lungs, brain, etc.
    NEAT-Non-exercise activity thermogenesis, is what you burn during your daily life. It's what the Garmin tries to measure but probably fails at because you don't use all your energy as a pendulum on your wrist.
    EAT-Exercise activity thermogenesis- it's your deliberate exercise, not walking to the car to drive to the gym, but actually at the gym. This is measured by either a calculator for activity or directly from the machine itself. If you are not putting your weight into the machine it it is going to be wildly inaccurate, and if you do put your weight into the machine it will be slightly less wildly inaccurate.
    DIT-diet induced thermogenesis. Your body requires energy to process foods. This is it.

So, go back and reevaluate your calories in and calories out. I'll use me, a 225 lb male that works a lightly active job, exercises intensely 4x a week, and tracks calories religiously and squats 2x lean body weight, subtracting the 18-24% body fat that a couple of different methods gives me.

I know from years of tracking that my BMR + DIT +NEAT is approximately 3000 cal, plus or minus probably 5%. That's a big range. But that's all I can calculate. The calculators say BMR is more like 2100. That means:

NEAT is approx. 900 calories a day. MFP puts my NEAT at about 300 calories a day above sedentary. So, at lightly active, I am to eat 1820 cal a day to have a 1000 cal deficit. Keep in mind that my job is being in the Navy where I lift objects sometimes, walk around a bit, go up and down ladders, and stay generally active. If you are less than that, you are likely sedentary.

The machine says I burn 4000 calories a week, so there is the EAT. I don't count weight lifting, too difficult and not very much.

So over a week I eat 10500 calories and burn 4000 EAT, 14700 BMR, and 6300 NEAT. So you would expect I lose -10500+14700+6300=10500 cal / 3500 cal/lb = 3 lbs a week. I do. There are daily gains and losses with water and "swoosh" effects but it's pretty spot on.

So yes, calories in - calories out, 3500 calories per pound. But if you keep it too simple you'll end up not adding and subtracting all your calories.

My best advice to you: Build a spreadsheet to track PRO+FAT+CARB+ALC-BMR-NEAT-EAT=NET CALORIES. Then and only then can you tell if your Garmin and the online calculators and the gym machines and your calories estimates seem to be accurate.

When I did that, I wound up adjusting my BMR because with 50 lb weight loss over 4 months I realized the numbers only worked if I burned 3050 cal a day rather than 3000 cal a day. That's pretty precise info.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Since it seems you have the calories in part correct, then the issue would likely be in the estimate of calories out. I am guessing your activity tracker is over estimating your calories burned, thus you calorie deficit estimates are likely not correct.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Since it seems you have the calories in part correct, then the issue would likely be in the estimate of calories out. I am guessing your activity tracker is over estimating your calories burned, thus you calorie deficit estimates are likely not correct.

^This is the correct answer. The deficit you think you have is evidently not the deficit you have. You can see this based on results. If you weigh your food with a digital scale then the explanation must be that you're overestimating your daily requirements.

ETA: How many calories does your Garmin say your expenditure is each day? If you say you gain weight when your "deficit" is less than 3700 this means you are overestimating your expenditure by 530 calories each day. This might sound like a lot, but estimates are exactly that. For a while I was estimating in the wrong direction by about 400 calories per day because I happen to sit at the far end of the metabolic bell curve.